Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Flat tire and next service 9 October?

mikerb

Sep 23, 2019
Manchester
I was lucky and got one of the first model 3's in the UK, blue SR+, really like the car.

I had a low pressure warning on one tire and took it to a garage to have a look, they said they couldnt fix it because its a Tesla, but filled it up with air, I reset TPMS and it seemed OK getting to work. Going back that evening there was a warning, tire at 1.1 Bar. I got home and it wasn't flat but was low. I don't have a pressure gauge but just ordered one.

Tried to book a service at Tesla - if local garage can't fix it no other choice, but the first date is 9 October!

Advice please: is it true that a slow puncture cant be fixed by anyone but Tesla? Seems ridiculous.

Yev000

May 3, 2019
Knaphill
Tesla OEM tyres are foam filled which scare the regular tyre fitters off. It's to reduce sound.

Watch around 7 min mark

So yeah its fixable, just no one wants to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: SimonTe

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
Can you not call the Tesla roadside assistance number and get them to fix it?

They are supposed to be able to issue you with a replacement wheel to keep you going...

Reactions: roadcred

Isatron

Sep 23, 2019
Allen, TX
I actually just got my flat tire repaired yesterday at my local Costco.

They were familiar with the model 3.

Had the proper jackpads, and handled the foam just by cutting out the section near the puncture.

They did need to rebalance the wheel to compensate for cutting out the foam though.

Definitely looked like much more of a pain than a normal flat repair though.

drewpost

Aug 12, 2017
Surrey, United Kingdom
I actually just got my flat tire repaired yesterday at my local Costco.

They were familiar with the model 3.

Had the proper jackpads, and handled the foam just by cutting out the section near the puncture.

They did need to rebalance the wheel to compensate for cutting out the foam though.

Definitely looked like much more of a pain than a normal flat repair though.

Which Costco is your local one?

mikerb

Sep 23, 2019
Manchester
I called Tesla roadside assistance and they said a good tyre shop like TSA Europe should be able to do it, and that if the tire was flat they'd take it from my house to the store. The pressure was about 1 bar but not flat, and I was able to drive a couple of miles to a TSA and they sorted it out fast. There was a screw in the middle of the tyre. So pretty OK with this. Cant work out why the very local store wouldnt handle it. TSA guys were pretty excited about the car.

DJP31

Aug 30, 2015
UK
Your local store couldn’t be bothered by the sound of it. Any decent tyre place can deal with it, it’s no different from any car in this respect.

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
I called Tesla roadside assistance and they said a good tyre shop like TSA Europe should be able to do it, and that if the tire was flat they'd take it from my house to the store. The pressure was about 1 bar but not flat, and I was able to drive a couple of miles to a TSA and they sorted it out fast. There was a screw in the middle of the tyre. So pretty OK with this. Cant work out why the very local store wouldnt handle it. TSA guys were pretty excited about the car.

Who are TSA Europe can't find any information about them?

Rooster6655

May 3, 2019
UK
... In Texas I'd guess, not sure the UK Costco tyre locations are up to speed on the 3 yet, but worth asking for sure.

Well they have probably dealt with S/X by now and they are an American company so you never know, they are probably likely to be trained in Tesla to avoid any law suits if there was mistakes and caused damage.

Mark_T

Nov 1, 2017
UK
I'd start off by assuming that any good tyre outlet should be able to handle a Tesla by now, but it is only one phone call to check if in doubt.

pgkevet

Jul 1, 2019
mid wales
My local village garage has done two on my S for me. They seemed unconcerned with acoustic tyres (said that some range rovers have them?). Their approach is fairly crude - cut the foam out around the inner hole and chuck it, then used what looked like a ball shaped stone to grind the glue line away and rough up before fitting the mushroom. More of an issue was getting the thing centred on their lift and blocking up the jacking points with timber offcuts for the backend cross lift thingy. Also happy for the owner to drive on he hoist and set jack mode, double check lift points and advise re wheel nut torque. For all the pratting about £12 seemed cheap. Come to mid wales.

Reactions: Roy W.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC