Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In this video the Ioniq 5 N makes the same noise as a Nascar racing car !!! LoL

This reminds me the TV 60 minutes video showing the first Tesla Model S with the sound track of an ICE vehicule.

That isn't really a criticism of the car. As far as I know you can turn it off. Some people will like it, especially if they come from ICE performance cars in the past... those who don't like it don't have to use it. Performance wise the car looks pretty solid. Suspension looks better than P3D and power looks higher as well though in a heavier package. I am saying that this is a legitimate competitor to the P3D and possibly better in some ways in terms of performance.

Reactions: gearchruncher
That isn't really a criticism of the car. As far as I know you can turn it off. Some people will like it, especially if they come from ICE performance cars in the past... those who don't like it don't have to use it. Performance wise the car looks pretty solid. Suspension looks better than P3D and power looks higher as well though in a heavier package. I am saying that this is a legitimate competitor to the P3D and possibly better in some ways in terms of performance.
It will be about $70-80k too so not cheap. If its near $80k, I think i'd cough up a bit more and just get the Plaid.

It will be about $70-80k too so not cheap. If its near $80k, I think i'd cough up a bit more and just get the Plaid.
Do you have a source for that. Car and driver says $63k.

It’s definitely more than the current P3D, especially with the tax credit available, but it does offer some bells and whistles that the P3D does not. I’m not particular for or against I am just pointing out that the new P3D needs to step it up a bit because there is real competition now.

Do you have a source for that. Car and driver says $63k.

It’s definitely more than the current P3D, especially with the tax credit available, but it does offer some bells and whistles that the P3D does not. I’m not particular for or against I am just pointing out that the new P3D needs to step it up a bit because there is real competition now.

I would be pleasantly surprised if C&D is right. The Kia EV6 GT is significantly decontented vs. the N and only costs $63k with less horsepower. The N also comes with a bigger battery. Lets see how Hyundai plays this.

What everybody is forgetting when they are comparing the 0-60 time of a Tesla vs a BMW M3 or Mercedes C63S is that for both these ICE cars to achieve their great figures - you need to use their launch control.
Well, not everybody...
$85K-$130K for a M3 that requires you to use launch control to get to 2.8 seconds, vs a M3P that most buyers can get for about $47K. They are not "in the category."

And now we're here:
its an suv so handles like garbage and its infotainment is unusable. its not a competitor.
$100K BMW M3 with an ICE engine? Competitor. $70K Ioniq 5 EV? Not a competitor because of the infotainment.

I just want a faster M3P is all. I think the Model S is just simply too big so want something smaller (and cheaper).
Last I checked, the Plaid is cheaper than a loaded M3 and would put a train length on it in a quarter.
Pick a lane man! ;) I thought the Model S didn't compete with the Model 3 because they're not in the same class, which is defined by size and weight, but a BMW M3 did despite the price difference...

Well, not everybody...

And now we're here:

$100K BMW M3 with an ICE engine? Competitor. $70K Ioniq 5 EV? Not a competitor because of the infotainment.

Pick a lane man! ;) I thought the Model S didn't compete with the Model 3 because they're not in the same class, which is defined by size and weight, but a BMW M3 did despite the price difference...

Model S doesn't really compete with an M3 or Model 3. I'd still rather pick up a Plaid over an M3 simply due to the outright speed the Plaid has and I think its a neater car for the price.

However, I would prefer a revised M3P for $60-70k vs. either car as that would be a better value for me and the size is much more preferable. We all have our value drivers 😁

The Model 3P has historically been as quick or quicker than all but the quickest version of the Model S.

That changed with the refreshed S, but I’m expecting that to be a temporary thing and the refreshed 3P to be between the 2 versions of the S.

There’s PLENTY of room between 9.3 seconds and 10.8 seconds in the 1/4 mile to fit the 3P in, and that would have the desirable side-effect of also keeping its advantage over its German competitors...

Reactions: reef12344
Whether all indications point this way or not, I think Tesla would be crazy to leave the Model 3’s performance numbers the same after such a major refresh. To allow this car to fall behind its obvious competitions in this way would be a crying shame.
Completely agree. They won't sell in their current form because they lag behind the competition in every category short of 0 to 60 - ICE or EV. Might as well not make it anymore if everything is going to stay the same. It's a dead zone for enthusiasts. Yeah it's cheap but that's about it.

The real question I'm struggling with is Model S LR now at 75k or wait for the new P? It will probably be 10k cheaper but it won't be as luxurious.

Completely agree. They won't sell in their current form

The Model 3 is the 2nd best selling sedan in the country behind the Toyota Camry- they sell way better than anything made by the germans.

And lest you say that's just a US thing it also outsells any german model worldwide as well by a huge margin- coming in #3 among all sedans behind corolla and camry.

Whether all indications point this way or not, I think Tesla would be crazy to leave the Model 3’s performance numbers the same after such a major refresh. To allow this car to fall behind its obvious competitions in this way would be a crying shame.

Yeah, a smack down is welcome. And if it would require to push S/X towards Sapphire and Rimac, all the merrier 😄

The Model 3 is the 2nd best selling sedan in the country behind the Toyota Camry- they sell way better than anything made by the germans.

And lest you say that's just a US thing it also outsells any german model worldwide as well by a huge margin- coming in #3 among all sedans behind corolla and camry.
Yes, but being the 2nd best (or even the #1) selling car in the country (or world for that matter), is no reason to keep everything the same. If it was, then Tesla would not have even bothered to come out with the refreshed (Highland) Model 3. Tesla realizes that staying still (with the exact same vehicle) is not a formula for continued success. So, naturally, they have made significant changes/improvements to the Model 3 Highland (standard & long range trim).

So, I would argue it is crazy for anyone to think that Tesla would simply keep the same or similar performance numbers when they release the Performance (or Plaid) trim in the coming months. To be frank, doing so would be just plain stupid. I would be willing to make a friendly wager to anyone who is game (say $100 via Venmo or Zelle) that we will see significant performance improvements (like 0-6 in the 2.6-2.8 sec range and/or quarter mile in the mid 10 sec range) when Tesla does release the next generation Performance or Plaid Model 3.

Reactions: clerks
Yes, but being the 2nd best (or even the #1) selling car in the country (or world for that matter), is no reason to keep everything the same. If it was, then Tesla would not have even bothered to come out with the refreshed (Highland) Model 3.

Sure they would.

A lot of the changes remove cost from the vehicle and make it easier/faster/simpler to manufacture.

Which are core goals at Tesla.

That said- we've already been over the German docs that show a nearly 75hp increase so not only is nobody is saying they're keeping performance identical, we know for a fact they're not..... (though gearcruncher seems to think that's "only a bit").

Tesla realizes that staying still (with the exact same vehicle) is not a formula for continued success. So, naturally, they have made significant changes/improvements to the Model 3 Highland (standard & long range trim).
Yeah, and let's look at those significant changes in the drivetrain:
Yep, it's an empty list because the battery and motors are identical. Doesn't seem like they think drivetrain is where the cars needed an update.
Now let's look at performance changes:
  • 8% more range via aerodynamic drag reduction
  • Possibly sub-100 lb weight reduction
Yeah, welcome changes, but not going to make a 2.6 second 0-60 car or a track monster.

So why do we think they would take a car that was successful because it used all the same parts as the mass market car except throw on some brakes and some different software, and in a mid-cycle refresh make it a BMW M like car with a completely different drivetrain? What hints at that? Surely not the German documents.

They won't sell in their current form because they lag behind the competition in every category short of 0 to 60 - ICE or EV. Might as well not make it anymore if everything is going to stay the same. It's a dead zone for enthusiasts.
There's a group of us here that actually race our M3P's around corners in Autocross. There are two ironies to your statement:

1) The M3P is put in the group of the fastest production cars ever. Against GT3's, GT4's, C8's, NSX's, etc. Now, we're not actually that fast, but we are actually faster than the next group down, which is the C7 corvettes, boxters/caymans, etc. M3's aren't even in that category. So the idea that the car is unquestionably beat by modern ICE cars in all forms of racing is untrue.

Oh, and you know what competitors say when they get beat by an EV? "Those things are heavy, soul-less and don't make noise, I don't care how fast they are". So the idea that enthusiasts only buy off numbers in a magazine is also unsupported. Which is why tons of cars that are way more expensive than a Model 3 yet also slower still continue to sell well and make their OEM's a ton of money.

2) I give people rides all the time at these races. Most have never been in a Tesla before. 90% of them start the conversation with: "I hear this is one of the fastest cars here. Is this a Plaid?" 2 Years ago, this was "Is this a Ludacris"?
Yeah, people know Tesla as a performance car, which is what Tesla wants. But they know the halo car, and hardly even know a performance variant of the Model 3 exists. Half the time when they find out it's a Model 3 they just go "is it the dual motor one?". The idea that Tesla has lost the public's minds as a fast car is a just not true.

Ironically, if it weighs 100lbs less and has 50 more HP, I'll probably buy one as that would make a difference when you're racing for a tenth of a second on a 60 second lap. But I don't think that will make those of you hoping for 2.6 second 0-60 and mid 10 second quarters happy.

Reactions: Ethan Ryczek

I was talking specifically about the model 3 performance in its current form.