Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, it is traction that limits power/torque that can be applied at speeds below max power and the motors that limit how much power that can be applied at speeds above max power, right?
Yes, pretty much. That's why it is possible that an "insane mode" could release more torque at low speeds until the actual motor limits are hit.
Is it possible that the gains in HP exceed 47 HP at speeds where the Model 3 Performance would drop off in power but the Model 3 Ludicrous won’t drop off as much?
This is the more confusing chart behind my prediction, which also shows how I expect the front and rear motors to behave on the new car and how I know they do behave right now. The chart also includes the claimed motor limits from the internal Tesla docs.

1712069854246.png

Yes, pretty much. That's why it is possible that an "insane mode" could release more torque at low speeds until the actual motor limits are hit.

This is the more confusing chart behind my prediction, which also shows how I expect the front and rear motors to behave on the new car and how I know they do behave right now. The chart also includes the claimed motor limits from the internal Tesla docs.

View attachment 1034605
I’m curious. Is it possible that they could rearrange the configuration of the pack to increase the voltage and get better top end performance that way? What would the trade-off be in that scenario, assuming it would work?

I’m curious. Is it possible that they could rearrange the configuration of the pack to increase the voltage and get better top end performance that way? What would the trade-off be in that scenario, assuming it would work?
No. Watts are are volts x amps. That is a static value unless you change the chemistry or add more batteries.
800v is not really that big of a difference. It only really matters at very high energy levels or if there is an amperage limit. An 800v 250kw v3 super charger for example would not charge a hypothetical 800v model 3 any faster.

Reactions: hoang51
There was a huge discussion on this back around post #540, page 28, in November,
TL;DR - It's complicated and people disagree. But as an FYI, Plaid does not need to do this

Reactions: phantasms
Just gonna throw this out there and leave it....it's one thing to label a car "performance" that runs 11s all day long and then go and outdo yourself with the Model S "plaid" which completely blew EVERY SINGLE vehicle out of the water.

Now this new alleged "Ludicrous" moniker for the 3, id it doesn't do at least 10.5 in the 1/4 it will be a big disappointment for the performance car enthusiasts IMO. Considering Elon is Elon....well who knows ;-)

And now with the earnings "disappointment" maybe they turn the wick up a bit to gain a little bit back???

Guys…this is a $60k MAX car 😂 get a plaid for $90k or M3 Comp xDrive for $85k if you want the fastest car on the strip.

Everyone has been throwing wild af expectations in this *one hundred and fifty eight* page thread for MONTHS now.

We need to keep it real and say that 2.9 seconds is NOT a disappointment for a $60k or less car. What else is even close to this for the same money?

And now with the earnings "disappointment" maybe they turn the wick up a bit to gain a little bit back???
That would be the most Elon / Tesla thing ever. Engineer a car for 18 months or more, then when the quarterly results are not great a week before it's announced, decide that it needs to run quicker, warranty, reliability, and engineering be damned. Just tweak the current limit in the software, easy, right?

He'd probably just mention it on X too without actually checking with engineering.

That would be the most Elon / Tesla thing ever. Engineer a car for 18 months or more, then when the quarterly results are not great a week before it's announced, decide that it needs to run quicker, warranty, reliability, and engineering be damned. Just tweak the current limit in the software, easy, right?

He'd probably just mention it on X too without actually checking with engineering.
On release date they will announce an optional add on booster pack that's required with Ludicrous mode for $10k.

Reactions: phantasms