Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like a solid upgrade and zero to complain about. The suspension improvements have me most intrigued as that was the old P's biggest weakness. Congrats to those placing orders. I don’t qualify for tax credits so I’ll wait for these to hit the used market where the credit will be baked into pricing after a few months of deliveries. Looking forward to impressions mostly of improved ride and handling. If they fixed that this will be an amazing machine at any price.

Did you guys see this from the China presentation?
  • This is the rear motor with claimed 265kW power, which is supposed to be a 20% power increase of the previous gen (which measured up to 269kW on CAN)
  • Worth noting that a fair bit of that power increase comes from a reduction at the front motor!
  • 0.7% lighter motor...ok.
  • Increased torque matches expectations for the "Insane Mode" increase.
View attachment 1041210

Didn't watch. I only get my EV motor updates from eivissa tweets. :)

Ok question for anyone who opted to finance through Tesla: Does the process allow you to apply the 7500 credit at POS through the app? Apply as downpayment?

Curious to know the above if I decide to buy the car and opt to finance through them. Congrats to all who did order!

• Love
Reactions: P-Lo801 and eivissa
Didn't watch. I only get my EV motor updates from eivissa tweets. :)

Ok question for anyone who opted to finance through Tesla: Does the process allow you to apply the 7500 credit at POS through the app? Apply as downpayment?

Curious to know the above if I decide to buy the car and opt to finance through them. Congrats to all who did order!
Cash here but to half answer, yes, you have the option to hit some tax form checkboxes to transfer the tax credit to Tesla who then applies it to your balance at POS.

It's shaping up to be another 0-60 car, maybe 0-100, which is disappointing.

I was hoping one of the media/press guys had a dragy with them. Either way I don't think there's anything significant here with the new performance model.

Maybe a significant let down, but the price was the only piece that was shocking.
Carmungen podcast, he had a dragy, he got 2.9 without rollout.

In 4 1/2 years I have purchased two M3s both with FSD which has cost me a total of about $21,000

I would love to buy this M3P and I would do it now except it really eats at me to spend $8000 more for FSD.

Maybe the best way would be to subscribe to FSD for $99 a month and then it wouldn't bug me as much.

If you don’t mind waiting a little, it is almost certain that Tesla will bring back the 1-time free FSD transfer to any new vehicle purchase.
I think they have already done this on two separate occasions, when sales have been a little slow. Not likely to happen in the immediate future, since sale volumes are typically good/high during spring & summer. Much better chance towards year end and/or early next year.

I had considered waiting for the FSD transfer offer to return, but decided it is simply not worth delaying the excitement/enjoyment of having & driving this new/refreshed M3P. Honestly, the only thing I will really miss about not having FSD is being able to display the visualizations full screen. In the almost 5 years of ownership, that is only exclusive feature of FSD that I have used on a daily basis.

As others have stated, it makes much better financial sense to simply subscribe to FSD… even on a long term basis (6-1/2 years).

All of the test-drive reviews being published today about the new Model 3 Performance, that are raving about performance at higher speeds (in comparison to old P version) were all tested in the USA using USA-built Model 3 performance.

According to Tesla website, cars manufactured in the USA have more than 500hp, while cars manufactured in China only have 460hp.

Now, since the 0-60 times are identical between cars made in USA and China, it means all that extra power of the USA cars, is going to the above 60mph area.

I is a bit misleading of Tesla to do that (advertise the car with reviewers who only drove the stronger USA version, while giving no one the slower Chinese version).
It's the batteries. Don't know which batteries are used in the China made cars (LG or CATL) but the Panasonics from the US plant has a higher energy output, that's always been known.

Do you know how hard it is to get an extra .1 sec when the times are that low already?
It isn't that hard until you really get deeper into the 2s. Changing wheels gave me .08 seconds. Removing seats did another .14 seconds. However, going with smaller diameter tires only gave me .01 seconds once I was down to 3.01. Once you are on the edge of traction then it becomes really difficult to drop .1 seconds. Sometimes even a few hundredths is tough once you are really low in the 2s.

Can anyone share the wheel specs and the source? I recall it being 19x9 and 19x10, but i might be remembering it wron

Performance Upgrade​

Included
  1. Bespoke Performance Design
  2. AWD with Performance Drive Unit
  3. Sport Seats
  4. Adaptive Suspension
  5. 20'' Forged Wheels
  6. Track Mode V3

Above is right out of Tesla's ordering guide for 2024 M3P, 20" forged wheels

Last edited:
He said 2.9 and not "2.90" explicitly. He also didn't say if it was with or without rollout. It was with a passenger though so that is significant either way.
1000076913.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Sounds like 2.8s are possible with 1 on board and high SOC.
Yes, that is certainly possible. The real question is whether that is with rollout subtracted or not? 2.90 without rollout subtracted, with a passenger, and with a less than optimized battery would be more like 2.6 with rollout subtracted, without the passenger, and with a fully optimized battery.

There really are a lot of unknowns still.
The moral of the story is:
"This car is way better in real life than it is on paper."