Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From all that I've gathered so far, the brakes, hubs, and suspension components are carried over, so I'd say yes.
Of course, we will verify once we have the actual car. 19" square setups will be popular for this car now that it comes with staggered 20" wheels & tires from factory.

-Danny
What is the benefit of the staggered setup anyways? Just for those super enthusiasts who are on “road courses” or for cornering?

It wasn’t above freezing and frequently isn’t in the northeast. And those summer rated tires have very clear warnings about low temps. The point isn’t really about the drive home; it’s about selling the car in mid winter with no tire alternative. I’ll be if offered an AST, 75 percent or more would prefer them to summer rubber. I’d take the AST.

"All-Season Tires" are "No-Season Tires" the way I look at it. Compromised regardless of temperatures/conditions.

I've runner/summer/winter setups on my AWD cars for more than 20 years, and the performance and peace of mind is well worth the minor inconvenience, IMHO.

YMMV.

"All-Season Tires" are "No-Season Tires" the way I look at it. Compromised regardless of temperatures/conditions.

I've runner/summer/winter setups on my AWD cars for more than 20 years, and the performance and peace of mind is well worth the minor inconvenience, IMHO.

YMMV.

FWIW all seasons have gotten tremendously better in recent years... things like the Pilot Sport A/S4s are, while not QUITE as good as the summer-only PS4s in summer, surprisingly close.... AND also won't kill you if it's 20 degrees out and wet like the summer ones will.

If you live someplace that routinely gets real snow, but all means keep doing summer/winter swaps- because legit winters are still quite a bit better in serious winter weather... but if you're in the part of the country where winter is mild (but still exists) modern all seasons are much much better than they used to be.

I currently have the 245/40/19s forgestars from your site. I wonder if those will swap over.
It should.

Upon further review, I may just get some 18” T Sportline or Model+ wheels. They say they fit all Model 3 variants including performance trims. I didn’t think aftermarket 18” rims (w/o spacers) were possible with such big brake calipers on the performance?

@MODEL+
I have options for you. When the time comes feel free to message or email me. This is mostly what I do and enjoy doing.

Danny - [email protected]

What is the benefit of the staggered setup anyways? Just for those super enthusiasts who are on “road courses” or for cornering?
In Tesla's case, I think range. Now that there's a more powerful motor in the rear, I can see the case to upsize the rear tires.
235's all-around is far too under-tire for such a heavy car IMO.

Many high end sports cars run staggered setups with modern AWD drivetrains from factory. I think if the engineers designed with this in mind, there are actual handling and balance benefits.

-Danny

Last edited:
Upon further review, I may just get some 18” T Sportline or Model+ wheels. They say they fit all Model 3 variants including performance trims. I didn’t think aftermarket 18” rims (w/o spacers) were possible with such big brake calipers on the performance?

@MODEL+
I have TSportline 18s on my 2018 M3P. Definitely make sure you select Performance when/if you order.

I have no idea if they'll fit properly on the 2024 or not (yet).

FWIW all seasons have gotten tremendously better in recent years... things like the Pilot Sport A/S4s are, while not QUITE as good as the summer-only PS4s in summer, surprisingly close.... AND also won't kill you if it's 20 degrees out and wet like the summer ones will.

If you live someplace that routinely gets real snow, but all means keep doing summer/winter swaps- because legit winters are still quite a bit better in serious winter weather... but if you're in the part of the country where winter is mild (but still exists) modern all seasons are much much better than they used to be.
The PS4 A/S is so loud that whatever other benefits it offers are irrelevant to me.

Better all-seasons are still "no-seasons" compared to a winter/summer setup, and I do sometimes track my car... in summer. ;-)

Reactions: Park2670

YMMV.
Modern all seasons are pretty good. More than enough grip in the dry/wet for street driving. And don’t turn to rocks in the cold.

I do prefer driving with winter tires in actual snow. But at least with all seasons you’re not ****ed if you get an unexpected snowfall before you switch your tires over.

Reactions: Stan930 and MODEL+
The PS4 A/S is so loud that whatever other benefits it offers are irrelevant to me.

Better all-seasons are still "no-seasons" compared to a winter/summer setup, and I do sometimes track my car... in summer. ;-)

I went through my summers in about 12k miles so i switched to A/S. I'm getting about 20k miles from these so thats a benefit. Noise? Incrementally more noise in my super noisy 2019 model 3 doesn't make a difference. Its all deafening to me anyway 😁