Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Glad to see I ruffled enough feathers to have a stalker now.

I haven't said anything here or in the model s forum that is inaccurate. But feel free to waste money on snake oil that will ruin your handling and do nothing for tire wear.

And whether or not you like it, it is fact that an MX Plaid currently only costs $8500 more than an identically equipped MX LR. And as recently as October that difference was only $3500.

Glad to see I ruffled enough feathers to have a stalker now.

I haven't said anything here or in the model s forum that is inaccurate. But feel free to waste money on snake oil that will ruin your handling and do nothing for tire wear.

And whether or not you like it, it is fact that an MX Plaid currently only costs $8500 more than an identically equipped MX LR. And as recently as October that difference was only $3500.
It's all good - happy holidays!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: TimTam and terranx
To add some real numbers from the parts catalog (South Korean prices below since that's the only EPC I can find that gives prices publicly without a business account -- cross checking other parts with known prices, it matches pretty closely with US prices after exchange rate)

MS Front Drive Unit price is same between LR and Plaid (these motors are essentially the same with the exception of the Plaid motor being carbon sleeved). Roughly $3500
Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 5.36.27 PM.png

Rear LR Drive Unit (which curiously is the same part number as the M3P / M3RWD drive unit -- never realized that's the case), roughly $2200

Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 5.37.27 PM.png

Rear Plaid Drive Unit, roughly $7900
Screenshot 2023-12-26 at 5.37.45 PM.png

I doubt Tesla is deliberately losing money on inventory parts, so I think it stands to reason that the 3rd motor can be done for a BOM difference of $5-10k - especially since their cost is going to be less than what they charge us.

Your LR rear drive unit is not correct. At $2200 it looks like this is the inverter. No way an LR rear drive unit would be less than a front one, as it is more powerful.
Also, to match your drive unit, you need the corresponding inverter. The Plaid inverter are probably more expensive than the LR inverter due to higher horsepower...By how much, not sure...

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
That page looked exactly the same here in Australia (different delivery dates and prices of course) on the 31st of August, the day before the switch over to Higland. We still have pre-Highland brand new stock unsold and available for immediate delivery nearly 4 months in.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Your LR rear drive unit is not correct. At $2200 it looks like this is the inverter. No way an LR rear drive unit would be less than a front one, as it is more powerful.
Also, to match your drive unit, you need the corresponding inverter. The Plaid inverter are probably more expensive than the LR inverter due to higher horsepower...By how much, not sure...
That is the drive unit. Same drive unit as the M3P rear. On the MSLR both front and rear make same power (~247 kW each) And based on what people have paid for out of warranty replacements for the M3P rear drive unit, the price is about right.

This Israeli price list for M3P parts (straight from Tesla) also shoes the 980 drive unit at ~$2500 after exchange rate and before tax

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lindenwood
That is the drive unit. Same drive unit as the M3P rear. On the MSLR both front and rear make same power (~247 kW each) And based on what people have paid for out of warranty replacements for the M3P rear drive unit, the price is about right.

This Israeli price list for M3P parts (straight from Tesla) also shoes the 980 drive unit at ~$2500 after exchange rate and before tax

We need to be careful with the terms. For an electric motor to work you need :

- Inverter (variable frequency drive). Probably servocontroller more than a regular variable frequency drive.
- Motor+Gearbox combo = drive unit

$2200 is probably the inverter
$4500 is probably the drive unit

You will not be able to use a Plaid motor with an LR inverter. The inverter "HP" or "KW" rating needs to match the Motor "HP" or "KW" and also is different if it is a permanent magnet motor (very often called brushless) or an induction motor (squirrel cage).

Looking at the part#, the drive units are using a numbering system starting by 17XX000, at least for Model S. The part# at $2200 as MOFSET in the description and a different # that does not seem to match, you will find MOFSETS in Inverters...

But TBH I did not look if Tesla integrates everything, and maybe the inverter is integrated in the drive unit ?

If the rear drive unit on the S is the same as M3P and same as front there is no reason it should be half the price ?

Anyway, I wish we could get a 750HP Model 3 P, or even Model S LR HP with 750 LBS less....

• Informative
We need to be careful with the terms. For an electric motor to work you need :

- Inverter (variable frequency drive). Probably servocontroller more than a regular variable frequency drive.
- Motor+Gearbox combo = drive unit

$2200 is probably the inverter
$4500 is probably the drive unit

You will not be able to use a Plaid motor with an LR inverter. The inverter "HP" or "KW" rating needs to match the Motor "HP" or "KW" and also is different if it is a permanent magnet motor (very often called brushless) or an induction motor (squirrel cage).

Looking at the part#, the drive units are using a numbering system starting by 17XX000, at least for Model S. The part# at $2200 as MOFSET in the description and a different # that does not seem to match, you will find MOFSETS in Inverters...

But TBH I did not look if Tesla integrates everything, and maybe the inverter is integrated in the drive unit ?

If the rear drive unit on the S is the same as M3P and same as front there is no reason it should be half the price ?

Anyway, I wish we could get a 750HP Model 3 P, or even Model S LR HP with 750 LBS less....
Why don't you actually look things up? These are the inverter part numbers (top one is LR and also shared with M3P). Roughly half the price of the MSLR / M3P rear drive unit

1703735889744.png

1120980 is the rear drive unit. It's cheap because it's shared with the model 3 / model Y which is produced in literally an order of magnitude greater volume. Front drive unit on the MSLR is *not* the same as the rear drive unit. Different gear ratio, different packaging. Power output is the same, but as it is a different part with a much lower production volume, it's going to be more expensive.

The drive unit assembly does include the inverter. The "MOSFET" reference is because there is a model 3 part ("970" motor) that used an IGBT based inverter, though I don't think that's made anymore (nor is that particular inverter available separately as far as I can tell)

Last edited:
Haven't been active here for a long time but here's my speculation: Model 3 Highland will finally launch in the US in Q1 24. To share some extra news besides the new refresh, they will show off the new Performance trim which will then also be sold internationally, built in Shanghai as well.

I am not quite sure how they will handle the differentiation. It could be just the one "Model 3 Ludicrous" including all upgrades like more aggressive styling, wheels, bucket seats, etc. or they could introduce two trims. One Performance and one Ludicrous, where the Performance will only get the new powertrain without any visual changes (like they did previously) and the Ludicrous gets all the goodies like bucket seats.

We will see...

However all I can tell you about the Ludicrous is: It will be epic.

Haven't been active here for a long time but here's my speculation: Model 3 Highland will finally launch in the US in Q1 24. To share some extra news besides the new refresh, they will show off the new Performance trim which will then also be sold internationally, built in Shanghai as well.

I am not quite sure how they will handle the differentiation. It could be just the one "Model 3 Ludicrous" including all upgrades like more aggressive styling, wheels, bucket seats, etc. or they could introduce two trims. One Performance and one Ludicrous, where the Performance will only get the new powertrain without any visual changes (like they did previously) and the Ludicrous gets all the goodies like bucket seats.

We will see...

However all I can tell you about the Ludicrous is: It will be epic.

They should introduce the performance variant with a record breaking track record at Nurburgring, as has become the tradition for their top-performance variants.

275/35/20 will definitely look ludicrous
Assuming you mean 275/30/20 here?

I run 275/35ZR19 square on 19x9.5 wheels… the lateral traction is awesome. It severely annoys me to be on sensibly sized winter tires until April. While the wheels are off, I am contemplating shaving 3mm from the back of the wheels (+35 offset currently) to get it dead flush, if I can find a CNC shop that will do a good job for < $300.

Anyways, 275/30/20 would dent a little easily for my tastes (and local roads) but at least it wouldn’t let go in high-G turns. Having put fat summer tires on the 3, it’s tough to imagine ever going back. Drove from Michigan to Mississippi and back shortly after installing them, never had any issues with range anxiety, vehicle was quieter than stock running 275s at 37psi. I prefer to run square setups, but I’m guessing staggered is more efficient (albeit less performant for braking).

• Helpful
Reactions: Tiger
Assuming you mean 275/30/20 here?

I run 275/35ZR19 square on 19x9.5 wheels… the lateral traction is awesome. It severely annoys me to be on sensibly sized winter tires until April. While the wheels are off, I am contemplating shaving 3mm from the back of the wheels (+35 offset currently) to get it dead flush, if I can find a CNC shop that will do a good job for < $300.

Anyways, 275/30/20 would dent a little easily for my tastes (and local roads) but at least it wouldn’t let go in high-G turns. Having put fat summer tires on the 3, it’s tough to imagine ever going back. Drove from Michigan to Mississippi and back shortly after installing them, never had any issues with range anxiety, vehicle was quieter than stock running 275s at 37psi. I prefer to run square setups, but I’m guessing staggered is more efficient (albeit less performant for braking).

Interesting. Have you posted a photo on Pic of your Model 3.......RIGHT NOW! [model 3 pictures thread]

I prefer to run square setups, but I’m guessing staggered is more efficient (albeit less performant for braking).
That's probably part of it, and also just that it's harder to fit wide tires up front on this platform. And wider tires on the steering axis do tend to make the car more prone to things like tramlining - that's one of the reasons I switched back to a staggered setup on my (BMW) M3.