Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
porsche’s 2-second power boost to advertise 1100hp is such a joke.

i know lots of cars have 10, 15 second power boosts. and to be honest, outside of a track setting, thats beyond sufficient. 10s in a tesla from a standstill takes you to 100mph.

but 2 second boost? cmon. thats just gaming the statistics. this is like on the early nissan gtr that if you used the launch mode it invalidates the warranty.

One thing they did was remove the rear seat…(!!!!!)
No one can say gutting the interior is unreasonable anymore. At least I can put my interior back together in about 15 minutes. This Porsche is permanently two seats only.

IMG_1550.jpeg

Reactions: cptnslo
porsche’s 2-second power boost to advertise 1100hp is such a joke.

i know lots of cars have 10, 15 second power boosts. and to be honest, outside of a track setting, thats beyond sufficient. 10s in a tesla from a standstill takes you to 100mph.

but 2 second boost? cmon. thats just gaming the statistics. this is like on the early nissan gtr that if you used the launch mode it invalidates the warranty.
Max HP is only maintained for a few seconds at most. Even the Plaid that is said to have “flat HP” still decreases slightly as the car accelerates.

If the Porsche hits 1,080 HP for 2 seconds followed by 980 HP for the next 5-8 seconds then that is plenty. You are going to be MOVING after that.

Reactions: momo3605
View attachment 1025742

Tesla reports:
  • Peak Power of each motor (motor limit / sort of usable value for daily driving)
  • 30 minute rating of each motor (motor limit / lab bench test, irrelevant for actual driving, basis for insurance calculation)
  • 60 minute power rating (battery limit, but yet not reflecting battery capacity in any sensible way)
  • Motor operating voltages depending on model (base, dual motor, performance)
  • Motor current limits independent of model
Found one governing body with specifications for power test

“max” is peak value over a series with 2s smoothing

i like the “sustained”, which is the tail power values at the end of a 10 second window

Reactions: eivissa
One thing they did was remove the rear seat…(!!!!!)
The Porsche GT cars generally don't have back seats. The 911's are normally 4 seats but the track monster GT3 / GT2's all come with no seat (and a roll bar).
So unless we're going to make fun of GT3's for being a cheat, I don't see the difference here. It's not much different than putting on super sticky tires that aren't even road legal in all places to set lap records. As long as the OEM will sell it to you in that configuration, it's valid to call that package that fast. Do we call the GR Corolla a cheat?

Bugs me less than having people say they have the "fastest <insert car here> in the world" and you see the car and it's completely stripped down from the way the OEM would sell it to you, sometimes even down to safety equipment removed.

Last edited:
Reactions: phantasms
If the Porsche hits 1,080 HP for 2 seconds followed by 980 HP for the next 5-8 seconds then that is plenty. You are going to be MOVING after that.
Especially since it can't put down 1K HP until it's probably doing 60+ MPH due to traction, so it's more like 2 seconds of 1K, 2 seconds of 1.1K, then the rest back to "only" 1K.

Also, it really matters how often you can access this 2 second power boost.

And even more, are we sure it's 2 seconds? Jalopnik says 10:
Press a button on the steering wheel to activate Attack Mode, which gives you a boost of as much as 160 hp for up to 10 seconds. It’s visualized by animated speedo rings and a countdown timer in the gauge cluster.

Also:
Despite being a five-figure option on Porsche’s other GT cars, the Taycan Turbo GT’s Weissach package is a no-cost option that saves up to 157 pounds, raises the top speed from 180 mph to 190 mph, and improves the car’s aerodynamics. A large fixed rear wing replaces the active spoiler, and the Weissach pack also adds a different front diffuser and underbody air deflectors. Porsche says total downforce is up to 485 pounds.
The 2025 Porsche Taycan Turbo GT will start at $231,995 when it reaches dealers in the U.S. this summer — just $21,000 more than a 2025 Taycan Turbo S with no options, and $18,505 cheaper than the Lucid Air Sapphire. That seems like a bargain to me, especially when you consider it’ll lap a track not only faster than most gas-powered supercars and nearly every EV, but also legitimate race cars.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Especially since it can't put down 1K HP until it's probably doing 60+ MPH due to traction, so it's more like 2 seconds of 1K, 2 seconds of 1.1K, then the rest back to "only" 1K.

Also, it really matters how often you can access this 2 second power boost.

And even more, are we sure it's 2 seconds? Jalopnik says 10:

Also:
THey said 2 seconds in the video

Reactions: phantasms
So unless we're going to make fun of GT3's for being a cheat, I don't see the difference here.
LOL - Taycan is a 4-door sedan, fer chrissakes!

I’ll make fun of the compromises that were forced onto Porsche in order to beat the Plaid’s time all I want, thank you.

The changes are hilarious and ridiculous and reek of desperation, IMO.

Reactions: Vaillant

I’ll make fun of the compromises that were forced onto Porsche in order to beat the Plaid’s time all I want, thank you.

Porsche is just doing what they do, charging people more for less. Tesla ought to do the same.

Does the GR Corolla reek of desperation?
Porsche has almost always offered a Weissach package on their cars that gives up all sorts of comfort and convenience for speed. On the 911's it gets rid of rear seats, gets rid of the frunk, puts a big ol roll bar in the middle of the car, moves to annoying center lock wheels, aero that scrapes on curbs, minimal noise deadening, worse fuel economy, etc.

All of this "desperation" leads to a 4 door sedan that crushes all other EV's, and runs almost as fast as the very fastest street cars ever made (and faster than most race cars too). I mean, this thing beats a non-street legal stripped Plaid with one seat that has massive aero and race tires around Laguna Seca and this thing can just be bought from Porsche with a warranty. That doesn't sound "desperate" - that sounds like Porsche being Porsche and making cars their performance focused owners want, and what they have done forever.

The irony here is that for Porsche, the rear seat delete probably made almost no difference to lap times- it's (not) there for marketing. People that buy these expensive, special cars WANT them to look different. What says "because racecar" more than removing the rear seat in a 4 door car meant to be driven by 50+ year old executives that need some way to stand out from the crowd? That's actually why we don't like this thing, because it's too expensive for most of us, not that it isn't a performance monster.

Meanwhile Tesla races the slowest 911 with a $100K+ Cybertruck and lies about who won in a quarter mile- who's desperate?

Porsche is just doing what they do, charging people more for less. Tesla ought to do the same.
I mean, in this case, they are not charging for it. The package is free.

Last edited:
Does the GR Corolla reek of desperation?
Porsche has almost always offered a Weissach package on their cars that gives up all sorts of comfort and convenience for speed. On the 911's it gets rid of rear seats, gets rid of the frunk, puts a big ol roll bar in the middle of the car, moves to annoying center lock wheels, aero that scrapes on curbs, minimal noise deadening, worse fuel economy, etc.

All of this "desperation" leads to a 4 door sedan that crushes all other EV's, and runs almost as fast as the very fastest street cars ever made (and faster than most race cars too). I mean, this thing beats a non-street legal stripped Plaid with one seat that has massive aero and race tires around Laguna Seca and this thing can just be bought from Porsche with a warranty. That doesn't sound "desperate" - that sounds like Porsche being Porsche and making cars their performance focused owners want, and what they have done forever.

The irony here is that for Porsche, the rear seat delete probably made almost no difference to lap times- it's (not) there for marketing. People that buy these expensive, special cars WANT them to look different. What says "because racecar" more than removing the rear seat in a 4 door car meant to be driven by 50+ year old executives that need some way to stand out from the crowd? That's actually why we don't like this thing, because it's too expensive for most of us, not that it isn't a performance monster.

Meanwhile Tesla races the slowest 911 with a $100K+ Cybertruck and lies about who won in a quarter mile- who's desperate?

I mean, in this case, they are not charging for it. The package is free.

Right - because Tesla doesn’t matter to Porsh-a or its customers.

Desperation leads to crazy actions, which is what the Weissach Taycan edition is.

And if you think it makes any sense at all to go to those lengths to “track optimize” a 5100 lb. sedan, you may want to consider laying off the hallucinogens…

It’s desperation for bragging rights on Porsh-a’s part, pure and simple.

Last edited:
And if you think it makes any sense at all to go to those lengths to “track optimize” a 5100 lb. sedan, you may want to consider laying off the hallucinogens…
Why does the weight or type of car matter? Porsche has the fastest EV on a track right now. It's up to other manufacturers to beat it, not to call Porsche desperate because they did it. I know I hate it when people say a Model 3 isn't a performance car because it weighs 4000 lbs and ther 911 weighs 3400, even after I set a faster time, and now we're doing it EV to EV?

Again, nothing like this looks out of the ordinary for Porsche. They have made a TON of money selling Macan GTS's, so why is a Weissach package for a Taycan desperate?

We should be happy that Porsche is raising the performance EV bar and making others work to compete. This is good for all of us, even if we can't afford a Taycan (at least one shows up at the track against us and we start losing, kind of like what happens when a $250K GT3 shows up today)

I'm still interested what you call it when Tesla lies about their performance against a Porsche?

Why does the weight or type of car matter? Porsche has the fastest EV on a track right now. It's up to other manufacturers to beat it, not to call Porsche desperate because they did it. I know I hate it when people say a Model 3 isn't a performance car because it weighs 4000 lbs and ther 911 weighs 3400, even after I set a faster time, and now we're doing it EV to EV?

Again, nothing like this looks out of the ordinary for Porsche. They have made a TON of money selling Macan GTS's, so why is a Weissach package for a Taycan desperate?

We should be happy that Porsche is raising the performance EV bar and making others work to compete. This is good for all of us, even if we can't afford a Taycan (at least one shows up at the track against us and we start losing, kind of like what happens when a $250K GT3 shows up today)

I'm still interested what you call it when Tesla lies about their performance against a Porsche?
I’ll gladly give up a couple of seconds and bragging rights to keep 5 seats and the practicality that comes along with a Plaid (or a Sapphire).

I don’t hate the Taycan/GT at all - I just find the Weissach edition to be pointless other than for bragging rights.

(Just like most of the rest of the Weissach editions…but “fools and their money”, after all)

Last edited:
I’ll gladly give up a couple of seconds and bragging rights to keep 5 seats and the practicality that comes along with a Plaid (or a Sapphire).

I don’t hate the Taycan/GT at all - I just find the Weissach edition to be pointless other than for bragging rights.

(Just like most of the rest of the Weissach editions…but “fools and their money”, after all)
I mean you do realize you can get a Taycan GT with 5 seats as well…right?