Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drag racing is an American thing. You forget 90% of the rest of the world. Typical American...
So few Model 3 owners take their car on track that uprated brakes would be a complete waste of money and raise the price of the car for everyone else. I wish it wasn't so, but that's where we are right now and those of us who want/need better brakes just spend a bit more on aftermarket parts and get what we want.

And I'd hazard a guess that probably 25x more Model 3s have been on a drag strip compared to a circuit, so it's probably not an unfair comparison, but still a very small number vs. cars sold.

Drag racing is an American thing. You forget 90% of the rest of the world. Typical American...
Did I say anything against road racing or Autocross? No, I simply reiterated that not everyone does those things. Far more people drive at 10/10 for straight line acceleration than do 10/10 for curves or braking. That goes for any country in the world.

Reactions: Lindenwood
So few Model 3 owners take their car on track that uprated brakes would be a complete waste of money and raise the price of the car for everyone else. I wish it wasn't so, but that's where we are right now and those of us who want/need better brakes just spend a bit more on aftermarket parts and get what we want.

And I'd hazard a guess that probably 25x more Model 3s have been on a drag strip compared to a circuit, so it's probably not an unfair comparison, but still a very small number vs. cars sold.
Problem is the aftermarket support isn’t great. No one makes a real rear bbk for any of these cars, presumably due to the parking brake being built in.

Brakes and suspension are the easiest to change
Mechanically...yes. Legally...in Europe, especially Germany...a completely different story.

Here basically everything that you bolt onto the car needs to be approved/tested/certified for that specific car/model. It is a huge hustle to drive modified cars legally in Germany f.e.
So getting solid brakes and suspension from the factory is golden! Alternatively something like a track pack sold by the manufacturer that is already approved by Tesla and therefore part of the type certificate would help as then it is only minor paperwork to keep the car road legal.

Mechanically...yes. Legally...in Europe, especially Germany...a completely different story.

Here basically everything that you bolt onto the car needs to be approved/tested/certified for that specific car/model. It is a huge hustle to drive modified cars legally in Germany f.e.
So getting solid brakes and suspension from the factory is golden! Alternatively something like a track pack sold by the manufacturer that is already approved by Tesla and therefore part of the type certificate would help as then it is only minor paperwork to keep the car road legal.
TüV approved parts aren’t impossible. Most aftermarket companies worth anything will have their stuff certified.

One of the deciding factors in putting KW V3s on my daily M3P was the TUV approval.

They should do a Track Package for those that want it like the Model S Plaid but they shouldn't be uprating everything on the standard car to make it too expensive. I imagine 99% of all Performance Model 3's are just fast road cars and don't need it. It's just making the car more expensive with no real benefit for those people.

The suspension is rumoured to be upgraded and potentially active so that'll be better I imagine. On the road you aren't using the brakes that much with regen and when you do unlikely you'll overheat what they put on the car already.

One of the deciding factors in putting KW V3s on my daily M3P was the TUV approval.
No need to convince me there, as I am running KW V3, spacers, superlight Edelweiss Rims and more on mine too. All TÜV approved and the lot, but f.e. Brakes are much more costly to get legally certified. This has also been done, but it took a couple of years until it was even possible and it isn't bolt on and go, but needs a special inspection at the TÜV and so on. A proper Tesla Track Pack with upgraded brakes, light wheels would be the perfect addition as aftermarket option in the Tesla shop. This is getting OT anyway. My point was just, that changing parts on your car is not as straight forward in some other countries outside the US, so any stock or optional upgrade from the manufacturer itsself is the perfect solution for everyone around the globe.
e067be56b118099f1e6dbe3a0e7cdc1545e6a451.jpeg

Plaid track pack is not Road legal in Germany.
I imagine it wouldn't be quite all out like the Model S Plaid but they could do something to upgrade the car for track if they wanted. Ship the cars without it so you don't complicate the production lines. Have service centres install for those that want it, can add it later on and not at purchase even.

Most get the cheaper performance car they want, others can get the more focused car at a price if they want. Win win.

White Model 3 Ludicrous spotted in San Francisco.
The wheels were 19", not 20", which was the case for the M3P in China.
No Front camera can be noticed.

The VIN Number is not common: LRW3E7ET8PCR00287 (2023 Made in Shangai ???)

View attachment 1028818

1-3 Manufacturer
5YJ = Passenger Vehicle - Model 3 - Model S​
7SA = MPV Vehicle - Model Y - Model X​
LRW = ????​

4. Model Type
3 = Tesla Model​
5. Body Type
E = Sedan 4 Dr / LHD​

6. Restraint System
7 = ????​

7. Fuel Type
E = Electric​
F = Electric - Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery​

8. Motor/drive unit
T = ????​

10. Model Year
2022 model year: N​
2023 model year: P ????​
2024 model year: R​

11. Manufacturer Plant
A = Austin, Texas​
F = Fremont, California​
N = Reno, Nevada (for Tesla Semi)​
B = Berlin, Germany​
C = Shanghai, China ????​

View attachment 1028814 View attachment 1028816 View attachment 1028812 View attachment 1028815 View attachment 1028813 View attachment 1028817
Oof that color and camo makes that look sooo boring compared to the Spain red one.

Reactions: phantasms
White Model 3 Ludicrous spotted in San Francisco.
The wheels were 19", not 20", which was the case for the M3P in China.
No Front camera can be noticed.

The VIN Number is not common: LRW3E7ET8PCR00287 (2023 Made in Shangai ???)

View attachment 1028818

1-3 Manufacturer
5YJ = Passenger Vehicle - Model 3 - Model S​
7SA = MPV Vehicle - Model Y - Model X​
LRW = ????​

4. Model Type
3 = Tesla Model​
5. Body Type
E = Sedan 4 Dr / LHD​

6. Restraint System
7 = ????​

7. Fuel Type
E = Electric​
F = Electric - Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery​

8. Motor/drive unit
T = ????​

10. Model Year
2022 model year: N​
2023 model year: P ????​
2024 model year: R​

11. Manufacturer Plant
A = Austin, Texas​
F = Fremont, California​
N = Reno, Nevada (for Tesla Semi)​
B = Berlin, Germany​
C = Shanghai, China ????​

View attachment 1028814 View attachment 1028816 View attachment 1028812 View attachment 1028815 View attachment 1028813 View attachment 1028817
Looks like Carbon Fibre across the top of the dash.

Curious if the suspension is the same as previous generation? Sure would be great to roll those @MountainPass parts and BBK forward to the next car
Think the leaks say it’s active suspension vs passive. I think that leak is made stronger by the Jay Leno show where the Tesla guy said something like “RWD and Long Range have a passive suspension”. If they were all passive why specifically call out those two variants.

The whole active suspension thing is a red herring which has come about because of the frequency selective damping (FSD) the Highland shocks are using, based on tech. from Koni, who call their product "Special ACTIVE". Seems some have picked up on that word and believe there's going to be some sort of adjustable/active suspension on it.

The new M3P will not have active or semi-active suspension, it will have conventional dampers using Koni's FSD tech.

The only people doing any sort of active suspension for the Model 3 that I know of are Tevo here: Electronic Semi-Active Suspension Kit for Model 3/Y