Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1000073808.jpg
1000073807.jpg
2024 AWD with 137km/hr speed limiter, not bad for a base model.

Problem is the aftermarket support isn’t great. No one makes a real rear bbk for any of these cars, presumably due to the parking brake being built in.
Rear calipers are a bit puny but they don't really need upgrading and there are options available for larger/better rear discs and pads. Most of the braking is done up front.
Once you put a decent front BBK on the M3P you struggle to overheat the stock rears, in fact bedding new rear pads can become more difficult. There may be a handful of owners who turn regen off and drive around the 'Ring all day who might benefit but for the rest of us a front BBK is all we need.

Rear calipers are a bit puny but they don't really need upgrading and there are options available for larger/better rear discs and pads. Most of the braking is done up front.
Once you put a decent front BBK on the M3P you struggle to overheat the stock rears, in fact bedding new rear pads can become more difficult. There may be a handful of owners who turn regen off and drive around the 'Ring all day who might benefit but for the rest of us a front BBK is all we need.
Everything in your post basically confirms the rear is undersized and the bias *should* be shifted rearward.

Everything in your post basically confirms the rear is undersized and the bias *should* be shifted rearward.
Why should the bias be shifted rearwards? Remember, the rear motor is doing the regen and effectively giving more rear braking. Very few drivers will be dialling down the regen to a very low %. I rarely go lower than 70% and if I didn't have a BBK I'd be keeping it 100%.
If anything, the added regen on the rear makes the car feel a little too rear biased in some situations.

The whole active suspension thing is a red herring which has come about because of the frequency selective damping (FSD) the Highland shocks are using, based on tech. from Koni, who call their product "Special ACTIVE". Seems some have picked up on that word and believe there's going to be some sort of adjustable/active suspension on it.

The new M3P will not have active or semi-active suspension, it will have conventional dampers using Koni's FSD tech.

The only people doing any sort of active suspension for the Model 3 that I know of are Tevo here: Electronic Semi-Active Suspension Kit for Model 3/Y
Maybe but it’s still strange that Lars when with Jay Leno said something like “The Model 3 RWD and Long Range have passive suspension”. If all had passive why wouldn’t you just say “The Model 3 has passive suspension”.

Not saying this is a given that it’ll be active, just I felt that gave some backing to the rumour that the Performance won’t have the same suspension as the others. It’s possible with the extra power they needed to do something to help it put that down better.

Last edited:
Maybe but it’s still strange that Lars when with Jay Leno said something like “The Model 3 RWD and Long Range have passive suspension”. If all had passive why wouldn’t you just say “The Model 3 has passive suspension”.

Not saying this is a given that it’ll be active, just I felt that gave some backing to the rumour that the Performance won’t have the same suspension as the others. It’s possible with the extra power they needed to do something to help it put that down better.
Maybe. The last leak from China mentioned solving problems with suspension and adapting the motor(s) causing the release delay. That leaves some plausibility for a different suspension system on the P than RWD & LR.

Or, maybe lowering it 1" caused problems elsewhere.

The M3P isn't out yet, so Lars was referring to what's on sale right now, that's all. The M3P won't have any form of active suspension because it costs too much and a properly sorted conventional damper will work just fine.

There is almost no chance they will put an active suspension on the performance.
Hopefully it will have koni "active" dampers. Best case it would have koni yellows with a stepper motor to adjust rebound, but I doubt it.
Yeah, it's just a tad misleading for Koni to use that word. The same as Tein have a product called "EDFC ACTIVE" which is just motorized adjusters.
They won't be Koni branded as it's just the FSD tech. being used within Tesla-branded units.

Reactions: buckets0fun