Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
spoke to the service tech today (take it with a grain of salt) who said what’s he’s heard from engineering (the local cybertruck owner is a HV Engineer for Tesla) that the new M3P will not be as quick as the current refresh MSLR but we will see. Just sharing a tid bit I was privy to
Model S LR already does 130.62 mph in the 1/4 mile. I am perfectly fine with a Model 3 Ludicrous doing less than that. The Model 3 will have a MUCH better 60’ and 0-60 mph than this. If it loses a few mph on the top end it will still be quick enough.

IMG_3383.jpeg

Model S LR already does 130.62 mph in the 1/4 mile. I am perfectly fine with a Model 3 Ludicrous doing less than that. The Model 3 will have a MUCH better 60’ and 0-60 mph than this. If it loses a few mph on the top end it will still be quick enough.

View attachment 1030317
Oh I don’t disagree with you but there’s been a lot of speculation on this thread that the new M3P will be faster than the S in every respect

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I gotta say, I'm expecting it to be tough for me to decide between a new 3P and a used Plaid...
I was tired of waiting to see what this new Performance was all about, so I dumped my 2023 M3P at a huge loss and bought a used Plaid. Given the choice 100 times over, I would choose the Plaid every time. Makes the 3 feel like an anemic tin can.

Plaid is clearly the answer if you aren't tight on budget (still an amazing performance bargain), mainly care about straight line acceleration, and can handle the additional size of the car for your use.

I think the hope here is that the M3P is an equal performance bargain at it's price point, and retains the more nimble handling and day to day use of the smaller platform. Obviously there is no way the M3P will be meeting a Plaid on acceleration, so if you have the coin for the Plaid and crave that speed, there's zero reason to wait for the M3P stats.

I was tired of waiting to see what this new Performance was all about, so I dumped my 2023 M3P at a huge loss and bought a used Plaid. Given the choice 100 times over, I would choose the Plaid every time. Makes the 3 feel like an anemic tin can.
exact same situation for me, i dumped my 2018 M3p for a used plaid. i still visit this thread to see if it will make me regret my recent trade up. so far no, only thing i will really miss is the smaller size and better handling. but the power of the car and the overall feel makes up for it.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
It that were him, he'd have bough a NEW Plaid, right, and he wouldn't have complained about the huge loss he took??
No complaining here my friend, I was simply illustrating that for me, the "loss" of value was absolutely worth it. I got a Plaid with nearly the full warranty and only 15K miles for $20k+ off a new one. At the end of the day, the M3P cost was about $900 per month for the year I owned it.

No complaining here my friend, I was simply illustrating that for me, the "loss" of value was absolutely worth it. I got a Plaid with nearly the full warranty and only 15K miles for $20k+ off a new one. At the end of the day, the M3P cost was about $900 per month for the year I owned it.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for the Model 3 Performance? What year was it?

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get for the Model 3 Performance? What year was it?
Not at all. It was a 2023 M3P I purchased new for $53,900 in February of last year. Taxes aside, it was $44,500 after the tax credit and I received $33,700 in trade-in value from Tesla when I purchased the Plaid. I owned it two days shy of a year. The market is flooded with "cheap" Plaids right now. Although a new one is $90k, mine was $129k when new and it depreciated about $60K. The market is also flooded with 3's, no one is paying a penny more than they have to for one.

Steering wheel is on the wrong side on the Plaid so not much of a choice for us RHD folks. M3P is the fastest car they make for 1/3rd of the world.

So does this mean there will be two versions, one with aero cover holes and one without? That just sounds like a very inefficient use of resources and unlike Tesla. If they wanted to provide Performance users with extra range, they should just offer a 19" wheel option.
Tesla is not going to make two different wheels. We have yet to see a clear picture of the wheel stationary not turning. I wish there would be a clean version too. I am glad the wheels "look" lighter than the Uberturbines.