Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bummed to see that they've implemented a new "Insane" driving mode. One of the things that makes the outgoing model so great is that it drives very nicely in normal mode so the full performance is always available without the need to daily in some neutered mode.
It'll still be drivable. Plaid has chill, sport, and plaid, and I daily drive in plaid mode.

Thats still a rumor and LG with the same voltage doesnt mean the same chemistry.
Not only the same nominal voltage, but also the same nominal capacity. What are the odds? When it now turns out that:
  • The US battery pack will remain the same.
  • The front motor will remain the same.
  • Highland LR and RWD had no changes in battery pack and motors.

For about a week in early January, you could still order a 2023 M3P and get the full tax credit while the RWD&LR did not get the tax credit. Would the % domestic content of the Panasonic meet the requirement needed for the credit (assuming $54,990 MSRP)? I can't find it now, but I remember reading that the batteries are still assembled in Nevada but the minerals are now over the limit for non-free trade partner countries of origin.

Not only the same nominal voltage, but also the same nominal capacity. What are the odds? When it now turns out that:
  • The US battery pack will remain the same.
  • The front motor will remain the same.
  • Highland LR and RWD had no changes in battery pack and motors.
I dont see anything wrong with having the same weight, battery count and nominal capacity with different chemistry or improved cooling.

I'm just reminding that you're technically still can be wrong with your predictions. And we both hope that thats the case since we both would be looking at subpar CN/EU pack if you're right.

Also, I think that if you right there will be too big difference of EU/US versions with new motors of M3PH.

Last edited:
I dont see anything wrong with having the same weight, battery count and nominal capacity with different chemistry or improved cooling.
Me neither, but I don't believe in it.
I'm just reminding that you're technically still can be wrong with your predictions. And we both hope that thats the case since we both would be looking at subpar CN/EU pack if you're right.
Yes, I can absolutely be wrong, but some more points:
  • Whenever Tesla changed a battery pack in the past, the Nominal Capacity always changed. The Nominal Voltage often stayed the same, if the supplier/chemistry stayed the same.
  • To me knowledge there was never a performance battery pack. Any performance Tesla used the same Long Range battery pack as any other Long Range. There were times when the Performance would stick to a pack longer, because of range certification, like M3P 2021 never being certified for the LG packs or not getting the SW lock like the 3C.
  • My track record of identifying Tesla parts (motors/batteries) according to certified power, torque, rpm, voltages....has been spot on so far, which of course doesn't proof anything, but it's part of the reason, why I am confident about it now too.
Also, I think that if you right there will be too big difference of EU/US versions with new motors of M3PH.
This isn't new though. Since the M3P got the LG pack, there has been a power difference between the US and MIC/EU cars. This gap will just grow a little more with the new car by the looks of it now.

In the end, yes, this time I really want to be wrong, because the Plaid power is absolutely overwhelming, while the M3P/MYP is a bit underwhelming after a while. There is a very solid sweet spot between these to power levels, which is "Sport Mode" in the Plaid. That is were I would want to see a Model 3 Performance in 2024!

Last edited:
There is a very solid sweet spot between these to power levels, which is "Sport Mode" in the Plaid. That is were I would want to see a Model 3 Performance in 2024!
I don't think that's necessarily impossible in the model 3. Sport Mode in the Plaid is basically what the long range feels like in insane. Based on my data logs, those cars see ~350v / 1400A at full load (at a little under 80% SOC). That's not terribly far from what the Panasonic battery can do. What made the model 3 performance feel a bit lack luster was the power drop off at higher speeds. I think the hope with the new motor is that they can shift power to the rear as the front motor loses steam.

I don't think that's necessarily impossible in the model 3. Sport Mode in the Plaid is basically what the long range feels like in insane. Based on my data logs, those cars see ~350v / 1400A at full load (at a little under 80% SOC). That's not terribly far from what the Panasonic battery can do. What made the model 3 performance feel a bit lack luster was the power drop off at higher speeds. I think the hope with the new motor is that they can shift power to the rear as the front motor loses steam.
Sport Mode is variable current to level the power around 525kW. This is were the power of the Plaid feels just right, not to mention it remains usable on cold roads/winter tires/moisture. The lighter Model 3 would fly in those conditions, but at 60% with a 13°C pack I logged almost 1700A from the Plaid pack. That is 400A above the current limit of the Panasonic Model 3 and voltage wise you'd be looking at maybe below 300V under load. Higher base voltage from a 460V pack plus more current...this is currently unimaginable in the Model 3.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Sport Mode is variable current to level the power around 525kW.
I mean I'll believe you since I don't have that exact data log, but realistically even 450kW is plenty for a model 3 performance and likely achievable. Especially if it can sustain to top speed.
This is were the power of the Plaid feels just right, not to mention it remains usable on cold roads/winter tires/moisture.
This is true in Plaid mode too. I can put down 950 HP in below freezing temperatures without losing traction.

realistically even 450kW is plenty for a model 3 performance and likely achievable. Especially if it can sustain to top speed.
Absolutely. For that it would need a different front motor and higher battery limits though.
This is true in Plaid mode too. I can put down 950 HP in below freezing temperatures without losing traction.
Yeah, probably, but here in Germany on Winter tires and moist roads I am getting wheel spin at 100mph on the Autobahn :-(

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Sport Mode is variable current to level the power around 525kW. This is were the power of the Plaid feels just right, not to mention it remains usable on cold roads/winter tires/moisture. The lighter Model 3 would fly in those conditions, but at 60% with a 13°C pack I logged almost 1700A from the Plaid pack. That is 400A above the current limit of the Panasonic Model 3 and voltage wise you'd be looking at maybe below 300V under load. Higher base voltage from a 460V pack plus more current...this is currently unimaginable in the Model 3.
What is the max current the Model 3 Performance front motor should pull?

630A is the limit, but you won't be able to read that value from CAN. You can only see F Power approaching 211kW while knowing the motor operates at 335V.
I have never come close to 630A at any speed for the front motor in my data. In fact I have never seen above ~600A and I am typically closer to 573A at max current. My rear motor current typically is about 774A at max current. However, I saw 792A when my car was closer to new.

Do the European Model 3 Performance cars hit close to 630A/211KW for the front motors?

There appears to be a lot of headroom for the front motor with the Panasonic battery. I wonder if the new rear motor will allow greater current for the front motor especially if current for the rear motor hits peak current at a higher speed?

What a lot of people are missing is that just because they only changed to a new motor in the rear doesn't mean that they haven't changed how the front motor operates.

The Ludicrous Model 3 could get EXTREMELY quick if they can put another ~50 amps in the front motor and perhaps another 100-150 amps in the rear motor but not at the same time. I assume the total battery current limit will stay the same?

That isn't even taking into account that the new rear motor might be able to hold 700+ amps for higher speeds. Currently my car dips below 700 amps for the rear motor by 60 mph and it is down to 580 amps by 115 mph where it holds pretty consistent after that.