Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is huge
Yes, my dissapointment is huge, since my first 2020 M3P I`ve felt the car is getting gradually slower and batteries are getting weaker for each model year. My current 2022 M3P with LG is not good compared to my previous 2021 with 82Pana pack. now they launch a car with 100hp less than a Hyundai EV (I5N), yes I know the weight of the M3L is much less but still. Why did they make a new LG battery with the 415kW power limit? #notimpressed

I'm not going to be trading in my unicorn 2022Q1 M3P anytime soon for a theoretical 84kW / 114 PS power increase (arrived at by simply summing the peak motor power).
Same here. My Unicorn Q1/2022 is just great with all the good stuff that you would want from the whole built time.

I will be testing and measuring the new car in all it's aspects and maybe it changes my mind, but right now, with the current data available, I am happily continuing to improve my current car instead of swapping it for the seventh time in five years.

Reactions: phantasms
Same here. My Unicorn Q1/2022 is just great with all the good stuff that you would want from the whole built time.

I will be testing and measuring the new car in all it's aspects and maybe it changes my mind, but right now, with the current data available, I am happily continuing to improve my current car instead of swapping it for the seventh time in five years.
What makes the Q1/2022 a unicorn? The 82 pana pack and that it comes with ryzen?

What makes the Q1/2022 a unicorn? The 82 pana pack and that it comes with ryzen?
I would guess 82kWh Panasonic pack (the highest power discharge) and probably rear motor, same as the MY P with a little more kW than the predecessor and later models. On my previous M3P I saw discharge power at 457kW with the Panasonic 82 battery.

Attachments

• 3P82kwh.jpg
    3P82kwh.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 8
Coming with 19s as standard is good. Still summer tires but that is an improvement over being saddled with 20s that don't do anything except make the ride a little rougher.

Interesting that the rears on the 19’s are less wide but still have the same rolling resistance as the 20’s. Less however up the front on 19’s so range will be a bit higher but maybe not massively so.

Reactions: phantasms
Still sounds like a barely warmed-over M3P. Before dumping your 1 or 2 year old Performance for another $60K+ car, I suggest test driving a lightly used Plaid, you may be surprised how close to that $60K price point they are.
I'd have a Plaid any day of the week but it has a massive design defect. The steering wheel is only available on the passenger side of the car ;)

Yes, my dissapointment is huge, since my first 2020 M3P I`ve felt the car is getting gradually slower and batteries are getting weaker for each model year. My current 2022 M3P with LG is not good compared to my previous 2021 with 82Pana pack. now they launch a car with 100hp less than a Hyundai EV (I5N), yes I know the weight of the M3L is much less but still. Why did they make a new LG battery with the 415kW power limit? #notimpressed
I mean, if you’re going just for speed, it doesn’t even matter because the previous generation model three performance was already faster than what the ionic 5N is running at the track

Reactions: Lindenwood
Panasonic 82kWh + 3D6 Hairpin Motor + AMD Ryzen + Made in China Quality. MIC + 82kWh + 3D6 was available in Q3-Q4/2021 as well, but only some cars others had the 3D1. AMD Ryzen only came in 2022. This is really the combination of all the interesting stuff, apart from the fact that chinese made Panasonic's are not the best batch to put it politely.
On my previous M3P I saw discharge power at 457kW with the Panasonic 82 battery.
You can see up to 462kW there, but the car will not pull this amount of power from the battery. You need to subtract 25-30kW from this value for actual battery power at full throttle through 90kph.
As a question @eivissa but can Tesla submit these documents and then put a release date on them so they don't become visible say to you or you're sources until a specific date?
Once it is handed over to the RDW in the Netherlands it is out of their hands. Then it moves within the Netherlands and thereafter to other authorities within Europe. At some point along the way it "drops" on my desk.

Panasonic 82kWh + 3D6 Hairpin Motor + AMD Ryzen + Made in China Quality. MIC + 82kWh + 3D6 was available in Q3-Q4/2021 as well, but only some cars others had the 3D1. AMD Ryzen only came in 2022. This is really the combination of all the interesting stuff, apart from the fact that chinese made Panasonic's are not the best batch to put it politely.

You can see up to 462kW there, but the car will not pull this amount of power from the battery. You need to subtract 25-30kW from this value for actual battery power at full throttle through 90kph.

Once it is handed over to the RDW in the Netherlands it is out of their hands. Then it moves within the Netherlands and thereafter to other authorities within Europe. At some point along the way it "drops" on my desk.
Thanks for sharing it with us plebs. Nice 'copter by the way.

Still sounds like a barely warmed-over M3P. Before dumping your 1 or 2 year old Performance for another $60K+ car, I suggest test driving a lightly used Plaid, you may be surprised how close to that $60K price point they are.
I am not buying these “barely warmed-over” specs. Below max HP the only thing that prevents the motors from producing more torque is traction.

They went with the wider rear wheels and new rear motor for a reason. They care so much about 0-60 mph in past specs. I seriously doubt they will just barely increase it. I just don’t believe that will happen.

I also have this "unicorn" M3P but I live in Europe so we will be getting the lousy LG. If this Highland doesn't have 100hp over the current one, hell no for me. I already have a feeling it is going to be a dissapointment. Lose the USS, the stalks, the Panasonic, pay another 10k...for what? 30hp? Funny

I am not buying these “barely warmed-over” specs. Below max HP the only thing that prevents the motors from producing more torque is traction.

They went with the wider rear wheels and new rear motor for a reason. They care so much about 0-60 mph in past specs. I seriously doubt they will just barely increase it. I just don’t believe that will happen.
The controllers ramp in power from 0-40 MPh, definitely not traction limited. I could launch mine in the rain and it wouldn't spin. Tesla could certainly get the 60' down to the 1.6 range with the current hardware, but I honestly don't see one slightly different motor making much of a difference over the current spec.

The controllers ramp in power from 0-40 MPh, definitely not traction limited. I could launch mine in the rain and it wouldn't spin. Tesla could certainly get the 60' down to the 1.6 range with the current hardware, but I honestly don't see one slightly different motor making much of a difference over the current spec.
The current car won’t spin because there is a lot of headroom for them to limit it. If you tried to do a 2.5 0-60 mph especially with the current 235/35/20 tires you would start spinning the tires.

With the new tires and motor they will be able to apply more peak torque and get a significantly quicker 0-60 mph.

Reactions: Lindenwood