Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same price as Plaid so not in the same realm and Ludicrous will beat it anyways as you need a lot of things to make that car go 2.8 0-60. Otherwise it’s north of 3.1
Someone showed one go well under 3.0 0-60 mph without subtracting rollout and 10.9 for the 1/4 mile 100% stock the other day. I can't post the image of it but I watched the run myself and it appeared to be legit. Magazines list similar times for it too.

How's that competition? It's slower than the existing P, and cost a ton more?

View attachment 1037385
BMW reports 0-60 mph without subtracting rollout and in some cases that is a 0-100 KPH(62 mph) time instead a true 0-60 mph. Those cars are WAY quicker than advertised even completely stock unlike a Tesla Performance vehicle.

Same price as Plaid so not in the same realm and Ludicrous will beat it anyways as you need a lot of things to make that car go sub 3 0-60. Otherwise it’s 3.4 stock
That's not true, BMW and the German's often under claim their figures. The car can do 3.1 seconds without any trouble on regular roads and that's without rollout.

Obviously not close to a Plaid in straight line but as a Model 3 kind of sized car the BMW M3 as a good fast ICE is kind of the benchmark without going to silly money.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Someone showed one go well under 3.0 0-60 mph without subtracting rollout and 10.9 for the 1/4 mile 100% stock the other day. I can't post the image of it but I watched the run myself and it appeared to be legit. Magazines list similar times for it too.
There are many, many ways to affect 0-60 times. Tires, weight, rims, launch control, boost, subtract rollout, etc. Apples to apples is a very hard comparison outside of putting them side by side on a drag strip.

I think it is very hard to say that a 2.9 M3 Ludicrous can’t beat an M3 Comp xDrive. Will it? Maybe so. But we won’t know until 2 people put them next to each other on a strip

How's that competition? It's slower than the existing P, and cost a ton more?

View attachment 1037385
It does cost a lot more, but it is common to cross shop an M3 with a Model 3 Performance. As for the 0-60, BMW's official specs are notoriously conservative and the 3.4 is without rollout subtracted, so it's very, very close to last year's Model 3 Performance. Car and Driver got 0-60 in 2.8 with rollout. In the 1/4 mile Car and Driver got an 11.0 at 124MPH from the M3. Car and Driver shows 11.6 at 115MPH for the Model 3 Performance. Motor Trend shows 11.5 at 117MPH for the M3P. C&D shows 3.1 for 0-60 and MT shows 3.0 for 0-60 for the M3P, both with rollout.

There are many, many ways to affect 0-60 times. Tires, weight, rims, launch control, boost, subtract rollout, etc. Apples to apples is a very hard comparison outside of putting them side by side on a drag strip.

I think it is very hard to say that a 2.9 M3 Ludicrous can’t beat an M3 Comp xDrive. Will it? Maybe so. But we won’t know until 2 people put them next to each other on a strip
At this point, the 2.9 is a rumor, and we have no idea if it's supposed to be with or without rollout. If it's real and without rollout, then 2.6 to 2.7 with rollout would be expected.

Reactions: Adam3 and mpgxsvcd
It does cost a lot more, but it is common to cross shop an M3 with a Model 3 Performance. As for the 0-60, BMW's official specs are notoriously conservative and the 3.4 is without rollout subtracted, so it's very, very close to last year's Model 3 Performance. Car and Driver got 0-60 in 2.8 with rollout. In the 1/4 mile Car and Driver got an 11.0 at 124MPH from the M3. Car and Driver shows 11.6 at 115MPH for the Model 3 Performance. Motor Trend shows 11.5 at 117MPH for the M3P. C&D shows 3.1 for 0-60 and MT shows 3.0 for 0-60 for the M3P, both with rollout.

“With rollout subtracted and with launch control engaged and the boost holding above 15.0 psi”

How is that any better than a *projected* 2.9 M3 Ludicrous?

BMW reports 0-60 mph without subtracting rollout and in some cases that is a 0-100 KPH(62 mph) time instead a true 0-60 mph. Those cars are WAY quicker than advertised even completely stock unlike a Tesla Performance vehicle.

Ok, but the BMW is literally double the price of what the with-tax-credit price on the P was at the end of its run.

I don't really consider "slower in listed spec maybe a tenth quicker to 60 if you squint for 2x the price" to really be "competition"

• Disagree
Reactions: Ultimos

I think the decision tree for this is pretty simple:

• Want an EV, get the Tesla
  • Want an ICE, get the BMW
  • Want the cheapest, get the Tesla
  • Want the best, don't care about the powertrain or the cost, get the BMW
Maybe the Ludicrous changes this a bit at lower speeds but at higher speeds I still think the BMW M3 will be quicker.

More a German test but 100 - 200kph the Model 3 Performance takes 10.1 seconds, the BMW takes 7.7 seconds. It's not close at all.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
“With rollout subtracted and with launch control engaged and the boost holding above 15.0 psi”

How is that any better than a *projected* 2.9 M3 Ludicrous?
Actually, I'm hoping that the Ludicrous, assuming that is what it is called, trashes the BMW and can knock off a 2.5 to 60, but I'd still be pretty happy with matching a perfectly launched M3 Comp in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The effortless way in which Teslas launch is one of their biggest advantages over ICE engine vehicles. To get top times out of something like the M3 requires having everything set right and working right. One thing a little off can easily cost half a second or more. A Model 3 is far less finicky.

I think the decision tree for this is pretty simple:

• Want an EV, get the Tesla
  • Want an ICE, get the BMW
  • Want the cheapest, get the Tesla
  • Want the best, don't care about the powertrain or the cost, get the BMW
Maybe the Ludicrous changes this a bit at lower speeds but at higher speeds I still think the BMW M3 will be quicker.

More a German test but 100 - 200kph the Model 3 Performance takes 10.1 seconds, the BMW takes 7.7 seconds. It's not close at all.
Want a vehicle that will require tens of thousands of dollars in repairs before hitting 150k miles, buy the BMW.

I'm also hoping that the new Model 3 will at least match the M3 Comp from 100 - 200KPH.

Reactions: Jeremy3292
Model S LR can do 60-130 (which should be a little longer than a 100-200 kph) in 7.7 as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the ludicrous ends up there. The front motor is a weakness, but sounds like the new rear motor could make up for that to a decent degree.

I personally love BMWs, always have, but they are hella expensive to maintain and cost a lot to begin with also. That is why I love Tesla. Cost isn’t that bad, performance is high, maintenance is low.

If I were to get an ICE again it would probably just be a Lexus. They just don’t make any actually fast or cool cars though lol (maybe one).

My wife drives a Lexus GX and it just works. Buy one, drive it til 250-300k miles, get another one. Cant say the same for other luxury brands.

Reactions: P-Lo801
Want a vehicle that will require tens of thousands of dollars in repairs before hitting 150k miles, buy the BMW.

I'm also hoping that the new Model 3 will at least match the M3 Comp from 100 - 200KPH.
We are talking new cars with warranties. Almost no one who buys new is going to drive the car for 150k, they'll have sold it long before and that'll be someone else's problem.

It's way off now so it'll have to hugely improve to keep up with an M3 100 - 200kph.

We are talking new cars with warranties. Almost no one who buys new is going to drive the car for 150k, they'll have sold it long before and that'll be someone else's problem.

It's way off now so it'll have to hugely improve to keep up with an M3 100 - 200kph.
I typically buy new, and if I like the car, I'll keep it for a long time, 10+ years and over 150k miles has been the case with about half the cars I bought new.

I think there's a decent chunk who are okay with the current 0-60 and would upgrade for the other improvements (highland general improvements, seats, suspension, high-speed acceleration). This car will almost certainly have a much quicker quarter mile regardless of what the 0-60 is. Even currently daily driving a Plaid, the 0-60 in the model 3 performance always felt reasonably quick for 0-60 pulls. It's the top end that sucks.
My top end is plenty fine. I don’t really understand that. I guess above 90 yes but most aren’t doing that. The other stuff just not that impressive. New person yes. Existing owner not do much