Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have definitely seen all of that discussion in this thread. I was still trying to understand the context of "plaid is faster than ludicrous" being any indication at all of what speed this vehicle might or might not be.

I just thought it was noteworthy for him to mention Ludicrous again. Seems to be trying to make it clear that the new top trim Model 3 is not meant to be on the same tier as Plaid.

Nothing that hasn't be said here before, but now some more messaging about that.

I don't really even care that much about the speed differences, but am really curious how they price it initially.

Reactions: arkhos
I just thought it was noteworthy for him to mention Ludicrous again. Seems to be trying to make it clear that the new top trim Model 3 is not meant to be on the same tier as Plaid.

Nothing that hasn't be said here before, but now some more messaging about that.

I don't really even care that much about the speed differences, but am really curious how they price it initially.
Honestly I wouldn’t put much value in anything Elon says.

I do think it’s a pipe dream to think this car will have a crazy sub 2.5s 0-60. You’re just not going to generate enough power to do that with a model 3 battery

Honestly I wouldn’t put much value in anything Elon says.

I do think it’s a pipe dream to think this car will have a crazy sub 2.5s 0-60. You’re just not going to generate enough power to do that with a model 3 battery
Nobody said sub 2.5 0-60 mph. 2.5-2.6 is what has been predicted. They could easily make it 2.6 and then it even satisfies your criteria of every single Plaid vehicle regardless of weight or size has to be quicker than the Model 3 Ludicrous.

If it has a 2.6 0-60 mph instead of my predicted 2.5 I won’t care at all. Anything 2.7 and below is good enough for my needs because I am already running 2.8 with my current Model 3 Performance.

2.7 is the best I can see happening. But I think 2.8-2.9 is much more likely.

Many people have explained to you that comparing a modded car is irrelevant. And I doubt anyone with real measurement equipment on a real course would be able to verify your 2.8 anyway.

Reactions: MuppetOwl
Except it is if you go by the manufacturer stated values. Unverified 0-60s are pretty meaningless.
Yes, I have manufacturer stated numbers for the Ludicrous Model S. It says 2.4 0-60 mph for the Model S Ludicrous using the way back machine for 2019.

Model X Plaid is 2.5 0-60 mph on the current Tesla website.

If you want the screenshots to prove it then message me as I don’t want to get kick banned for posting large images. I can’t seem to figure out how to make the screenshots any smaller but I have them.

Also note that it explicitly says that the Ludicrous Mode provides “20% faster acceleration” than the Performance model alone.

If you want to look at precedent to determine how much quicker the Model 3 Ludicrous could be then look at that.

Model S Performance back in 2019 was listed as 3.0 0-60 mph on the Tesla website. If you added the $20k Ludicrous option then it took that number down to 2.4. That is exactly 20% improvement.

2.5-2.6 is 100% possible for the Model 3 Ludicrous.

I rest my case.

Attachments

• IMG_4702.jpeg
    IMG_4702.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4701.jpeg
    IMG_4701.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_4700.jpeg
    IMG_4700.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 6
I hope Tesla hurries up and announces "something" related to this. These type of threads are supposed to be "fun" with people enjoying guessing about what might be.

There is still a bit of that in this thread, but it really has been dominated by a few people in a few specific camps, for the last several dozen pages.....

1. Those who think this new car needs to be 1/2 a second or more 0-60 than the current car to be valid
2. those who think the car wont be more than a couple of 10ths or so faster than the current car
3. a few who want to tell people in this thread how great their model s plaid is, and why would anyone even bother with this car

It would be nice to see it get back to the "fun" speculation instead of the "my guess is right and heres why" speculation.

I hope Tesla hurries up and announces "something" related to this. These type of threads are supposed to be "fun" with people enjoying guessing about what might be.

There is still a bit of that in this thread, but it really has been dominated by a few people in a few specific camps, for the last several dozen pages.....

1. Those who think this new car needs to be 1/2 a second or more 0-60 than the current car to be valid
2. those who think the car wont be more than a couple of 10ths or so faster than the current car
3. a few who want to tell people in this thread how great their model s plaid is, and why would anyone even bother with this car

It would be nice to see it get back to the "fun" speculation instead of the "my guess is right and heres why" speculation.
What good is a guess without anything to back it up? Anyone can pick a number and say it. Doesn’t mean it will happen.

However, there is great evidence posted by @eivissa that shows exactly what the new motor changes are capable of. Why is that not fun?

There is also great evidence that Ludicrous mode offers 20% better acceleration than a standard Performance Model. It literally says that in the manual and on the website. Why would it be any different this time?

Reactions: Lindenwood
Why is that not fun?

Since this sounds like a real question, I will give you my answer. Doesnt mean my answer is correct, its just my answer to this question you are asking.

Its "not fun" because it comes across as repeatedly trying to prove "whose right". Thats completely different than all the data that was posted by @eivissa , so thats not what I am talking about.

Speculation on what "could be" = fun, at least to me. Attempting to browbeat people into submission on why your guess is more correct than someone elses = not fun".

This is just ment as an answer to your question from my perspective.

Attempting to browbeat people into submission on why your guess is more correct than someone elses = not fun".
It's definitely fun! Just for one person.

But I agree, had initially been eagerly following this thread but it's just gotten worse. From the 10x acclaimed "engineers" and "experts" stating their truth, to the dream-hunters vehemently debating with anything they don't agree with (often the same), might be better off checking Reddit for this one.

I get that we can't always have status updates but that doesn't mean we need to beat each other over the head when we're bored.

Since this sounds like a real question, I will give you my answer. Doesnt mean my answer is correct, its just my answer to this question you are asking.

Its "not fun" because it comes across as repeatedly trying to prove "whose right". Thats completely different than all the data that was posted by @eivissa , so thats not what I am talking about.

Speculation on what "could be" = fun, at least to me. Attempting to browbeat people into submission on why your guess is more correct than someone elses = not fun".

This is just ment as an answer to your question from my perspective.
Thank you for the candid response.

My view is that misinformation is not fun. When people make claims that are demonstrably false it isn’t fun.

Showing evidence as to why something is true or not is fundamental in making educated guesses. If people just want to do guess a number and win a prize that is fine too.

I have said my piece on this topic and I believe the announcement is imminent so I can refrain from posting about it now.

• Disagree
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
With all of the delays, the leaks, the BS Youtuber embargos, the Tesla execs saying this one's going to special and we 'left a lot on the table' etc etc, blah blah blah. and Elon's apparent obsession with certain dates, I hope this car's not a dud! I'm hoping we will be blown out of the water given the amount of time these so called celebrity car reviewers are getting with the car.

Here's my speculation, along with some projections based on leaked info.

Old M3P as tested by me and my car with only 5 dragy results.

Best true 0-60 of 3.28, 1ft rollout 3.09 or for marketing purposes 3.0. most of my regular runs are 3.3.-3.4.

Best 60ft time of 1.84 during this run.

Best 1/4 mile 11.52 @ 117.

So if this car really does at least 2.9 0-60, that's almost .5 seconds quicker to 60mph which would likely translate to a 60ft time of somewhere around 1.7, maybe like 1.65.

So approximately 2 tenths off 60ft and no other change to power would yield around 11.1x in the 1/4. Now with increased power with the new rear motor and better top end, I think somewhere around 10.7-10.8 @ over 124 is completely reasonable.

Let's remember that the old MSL ran around 10.4-10.6 @ 124-126, so I think this new M3L ends up running similar times.

Set @mpgxsvcd free and let him post dragy results. 😂

Maybe Elon wants this thread to hit 200 pages before they make an announcement.

• Funny
Reactions: arkhos