Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Set @mpgxsvcd free and let him post dragy results. 😂

Maybe Elon wants this thread to hit 200 pages before they make an announcement.
I understand why @jjrandorin prefers that I not post the full size Dragy images. Let's respect that he has a job to do and keep the thread on track and uncluttered.

I think the most important prediction now is when will the official release be? Notice how they released the new Plaid seats somewhere around 9:00 PM on a Thursday night? It seems like almost all of their recent announcements have been later on a Thursday night lately. My guess and it is purely just a guess, is that it will get announced next Thursday at about 9:00 PM. However, there is no telling with Musk. I am not sure why they have waited this long already?

I understand why @jjrandorin prefers that I not post the full size Dragy images. Let's respect that he has a job to do and keep the thread on track and uncluttered.

I think the most important prediction now is when will the official release be? Notice how they released the new Plaid seats somewhere around 9:00 PM on a Thursday night? It seems like almost all of their recent announcements have been later on a Thursday night lately. My guess and it is purely just a guess, is that it will get announced next Thursday at about 9:00 PM. However, there is no telling with Musk. I am not sure why they have waited this long already?
My suspicion is that it’s either that he wants it to happen on 4/20 or that they need time to work through some supply issues with the existing new car orders before they open the floodgates with 3L orders.

Nobody said sub 2.5 0-60 mph. 2.5-2.6 is what has been predicted. They could easily make it 2.6 and then it even satisfies your criteria of every single Plaid vehicle regardless of weight or size has to be quicker than the Model 3 Ludicrous.

If it has a 2.6 0-60 mph instead of my predicted 2.5 I won’t care at all. Anything 2.7 and below is good enough for my needs because I am already running 2.8 with my current Model 3 Performance.
Do you have some Perf stats for this? 2.8 M3P is lower than anything posted so far even with forged 18” rims/tires and ripped out seats lol.

Seems like everytime he posts, his 0-60 gets a little faster.
I have literally been stopped from posting my results here and now you are questioning them? That's messed up. 2.83 is my best time with all weight reductions and rollout subtracted which is exactly how Tesla measures it. They say 3.1(with rollout subtracted) for a 100% stock Model 3 Performance. I did 3.0 regularly with my 100% stock Model 3 Performance. I did 2.88(rollout subtracted) with All Season tires but interior weight reductions.

Finally, I did 3.00 with rollout subtracted and a full weight Model 3 Performance except for 18" wheels and heavier All Season tires this month.

I have been completely transparent about these times all along. If I was allowed to post screenshots of these times now I would.

I have literally been stopped from posting my results here and now you are questioning them?
I've always questioned them even when you were posting slips. I straight up don't believe you.

A glorified accelerometer and an iphone does not constitute a proper measurement.

I did 3.0 regularly with my 100% stock Model 3 Performance.

This in itself should be enough for anyone to question your numbers. A 100% stock model 3 performance will never do 3.0

• Disagree
Reactions: Mash and mpgxsvcd
I have literally been stopped from posting my results here and now you are questioning them? That's messed up. 2.83 is my best time with all weight reductions and rollout subtracted which is exactly how Tesla measures it. They say 3.1(with rollout subtracted) for a 100% stock Model 3 Performance. I did 3.0 regularly with my 100% stock Model 3 Performance. I did 2.88(rollout subtracted) with All Season tires but interior weight reductions.

Finally, I did 3.00 with rollout subtracted and a full weight Model 3 Performance except for 18" wheels and heavier All Season tires this month.

I have been completely transparent about these times all along. If I was allowed to post screenshots of these times now I would.
Cool. I just tuned in and havnt really looked at your former posts lol.

So what interior mods were done?
Curious

Reactions: mpgxsvcd
I've always questioned them even when you were posting slips. I straight up don't believe you.

A glorified accelerometer and an iphone does not constitute a proper measurement.

What DOES constitute one?

AFAIK most car mags for years and years used a Racelogic Vbox... which when tested against a Draggy it's generally found to be less accurate than the draggy when compared to timing lights at a drag strip.

You literally have no clue what you are talking about. That ABSOLUTELY is NOT what a Dragy does. Your statement shows how little you actually know about this. The newest Dragy device is wildly accepted as one of the most accurate GPS based devices an average consumer can buy. There are so many examples of how closely it matches up with timing systems at tracks. Typically it is within a couple to a few HUNDRETHS of second of the track slips.

The biggest issue is that it can't measure slope accurately but that is just because GPS based devices have that limitation.

Almost all of my results I have stated are uploaded to Dragy for the world to see. I always post the corresponding Track Slips for each of the times there too.

You are just completely wrong about this and your statement looks incredibly foolish to everyone else.

Reactions: ChuckM3P
Cool. I just tuned in and havnt really looked at your former posts lol.

So what interior mods were done?
Curious
I removed passenger seats and frunk for the absolute quickest runs I have done. However, I often race with a full interior and heavier all season tires now. I weigh over 200 lbs too. A lighter driver would make a significant difference as well.

Reactions: Destiny1701
What DOES constitute one?

AFAIK most car mags for years and years used a Racelogic Vbox... which when tested against a Draggy it's generally found to be less accurate than the draggy when compared to timing lights at a drag strip.
To be fair, it does depend on which VBOX is used. There have been many different versions over the years from consumer to high end industrial/automotive testing types. An original PerformanceBox doesn't compare to the latest Dragy in terms of accuracy in the same way a Dragy doesn't compare to a VBOX 3iS. These days, there's a lot more choice than just Racelogic and Dragy and accuracy has got better as time goes on and GPS modules have become more accurate. It's a sweeping statement to say any one acceleration measuring device is less accurate than another because there are a lot of variables involved in the process.
And no, I don't work for Racelogic, but I do know a fair bit about this technology.

I removed passenger seats and frunk for the absolute quickest runs I have done. However, I often race with a full interior and heavier all season tires now. I weigh over 200 lbs too. A lighter driver would make a significant difference as well.
How much weight is saved with the frunk removal? Trying to gauge weight stripping from my MS and hadn’t looked into it. Seems like a plastic tub so I’d figure maybe 30lbs max but I could be way off

How much weight is saved with the frunk removal? Trying to gauge weight stripping from my MS and hadn’t looked into it. Seems like a plastic tub so I’d figure maybe 30lbs max but I could be way off
I think it was about 15 lbs for the frunk. However, it helps to cool the front motor especially on cold days when you don't have the frunk in there.

Honestly, the Frunk isn't that important for weight reductions. The front passenger seat and the back up right sections weigh a lot. Those give you the most bang for your buck with the Model 3. The Model S weighs so much more so weight reductions will matter less but they will still have some impact.

I have always wanted to try a lighter driver with the weight reductions. That would make a tremendous difference with a Model 3.

I think it was about 15 lbs for the frunk. However, it helps to cool the front motor especially on cold days when you don't have the frunk in there.

Honestly, the Frunk isn't that important for weight reductions. The front passenger seat and the back up right sections weigh a lot. Those give you the most bang for your buck with the Model 3. The Model S weighs so much more so weight reductions will matter less but they will still have some impact.

I have always wanted to try a lighter driver with the weight reductions. That would make a tremendous difference with a Model 3.
I’m still trying to find a M3P driver who was here in Colorado for the last test and tune at bandimere. It was a goldish wrap with a bunch of stick on exterior accessories but I’m 95% positive I saw that can running 10s in the 10.7-10.8 range. I’m guessing he must have had an entirely stripped interior and I’m not sure what else. Windows were too tinted to see in. The altitude is a huge benefit up here because of less air but I was like 🤔

I’m still trying to find a M3P driver who was here in Colorado for the last test and tune at bandimere. It was a goldish wrap with a bunch of stick on exterior accessories but I’m 95% positive I saw that can running 10s in the 10.7-10.8 range. I’m guessing he must have had an entirely stripped interior and I’m not sure what else. Windows were too tinted to see in. The altitude is a huge benefit up here because of less air but I was like 🤔
Nobody has run 10s with the current Model 3 Performance yet. Are you sure it wasn't a Model S or perhaps they were testing the Model 3 Ludicrous? Did you get any videos of it?

11.17 is the best 1/4 mile time so far with a Model 3 Performance. That is pretty far from 10s considering that was with 210 lbs of weight reduction. Not a lot more you can do without cutting out metal sections from the car.