Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance/Plaid Speculation [Car announced 04.23.2024]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A little OT but those new UI videos are looking pretty good. It sure seems like now is a really good time to buy a new Tesla with the UI and FSD improvements along with the sub price being more reasonable. Vehicle cost is also near or at the lowest it's ever been. Can't wait to plunk down the order fee and wait 2-3 months.
At one point last year you could buy a new Model 3 from inventory for under $30k after the rebate is factored in. Now that the Model 3 rebates are gone the cheapest one in inventory is over $35k.

Last December or even this January were the cheapest prices for Model 3s. Probably the lowest they will ever be.

Reactions: derekmw
At one point last year you could buy a new Model 3 from inventory for under $30k after the rebate is factored in. Now that the Model 3 rebates are gone the cheapest one in inventory is over $35k.

Last December or even this January were the cheapest prices for Model 3s. Probably the lowest they will ever be.

Yeah, I fully knew the highland would be available soon but couldn't pass up the crazy price we were able to get the RWD with discounts in December. Got it for $26.5k before taxes/fees when taking into account the tax rebate. It was for the wife so she was ok with the 'missing' features the other two trims have.

With end of April promotion, I can lease a RWD M3 here in NYS for zero down, $350 a month. I am willing to bet the Ludicrous will be more than double that amount. I personally found the RWD Highland to be deeply impressive and very fun to drive. It would also be immune from the front end screech that IMO plagues modern Tesla front drive units.

With end of April promotion, I can lease a RWD M3 here in NYS for zero down, $350 a month. I am willing to bet the Ludicrous will be more than double that amount. I personally found the RWD Highland to be deeply impressive and very fun to drive. It would also be immune from the front end screech that IMO plagues modern Tesla front drive units.
Yeah, these 0$ down lease terms are pretty crazy.. thats far less than annual depreciation would be for sure.

To be fair this change is more like when the "Ludicrous" package came out for the Model S. The 0-60 mph time went from 3.0 to 2.4 as stated by Tesla on the website. That is the 20% improvement that Tesla stated on the website and in the manual. I honestly don't see any reason at all why we can't expect a 20% increase in performance this time too.
I thought the original Ludicrous package took the 0-60 from 3.2 down to 2.8. This was a $10K option on the P85D IIRC.

I've also seen 2 videos "showing" it.

I've never seen any calibrated device measurements showing it though.... The NEAREST we get to evidence, and it's CRAZY slight, is in my spreadsheet that was just cited a couple posts ago...

P is still 0.04 quicker 50 to 60....But to get from the 1/8th mile mark to the 1/4 mile mark takes the P 4.19 seconds, while the LR boost takes 4.17 seconds.... Making the LR 0.02 seconds quicker.

Which honestly is a small enough difference it could be run/surface variance... or it could be a VERY VERY slight advantage to the LR, but not nearly enough of one it'd be obvious in a video
I'm thinking it's the slightly sleeker LR model allowing it to start to catch-up at the top end. No drag from a spoiler and lighter, more aerodynamic wheels.

I thought the original Ludicrous package took the 0-60 from 3.2 down to 2.8. This was a $10K option on the P85D IIRC.

I'm thinking it's the slightly sleeker LR model allowing it to start to catch-up at the top end. No drag from a spoiler and lighter, more aerodynamic wheels.
It could be ever so slightly faster on the top end, but we’re talking about a difference that’s so slight that it seems ridiculous to bank on it. You’ll see bigger differences in back to back drag strip runs in the same hour which should tell us that one isn’t faster than the other.

Not sure I want to prolong the speculation about acceleration figures, but I just stumbled across this I must have saved from a thread on TMC back in 2021. At the time I seem to remember it was a pretty good overview of the LR vs P and included the software 'bumps' we all enjoyed back then. Might be useful...

View attachment 1039588
Really not all that much in it, can see why Tesla might not bring it back.

That was certainly true on the pre-Highland model. It's possible there's some change in HW for Highand LR that doesn't leave the same amount of "add a bunch of power" headroom but I've not cared enough to look into it.
It has been certified in Europe to the same power outputs as the old LR, AKA its max power is a figure it only can achieve with boost. Doesn't mean they'll offer it but just means if they decide to do so, the paperwork is already done. It should mean though no technical reason they aren't offering, they've chosen not to offer it at least currently, maybe indefinitely.

Seems Tesla invited some influencers in Germany to an event tonight (It's already evening here in Europe)

Coming out tomorrow potentially (For us in Europe). Once they cast the net much wider the info will leak. I mean clearly this person isn't under an NDA.

Maybe you in the US will see it while we sleep over here. I know there's others that suggest next Tuesday but that French program suggested they'd be talking about this on Sunday. I'm also more inclined to believe that as rather than just give some date, they had footage from inside the event in the US at the start of this month, so evidence they were there or know someone that was.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

Seems Tesla invited some influencers in Germany to an event tonight (It's already evening here in Europe)

Coming out tomorrow potentially (For us in Europe). Once they cast the net much wider the info will leak. I mean clearly this person isn't under an NDA.

Maybe you in the US will see it while we sleep over here. I know there's others that suggest next Tuesday but that French program suggested they'd be talking about this on Sunday. I'm also more inclined to believe that as rather than just give some date, they had footage from inside the event in the US at the start of this month, so evidence they were there or know someone that was.
Translation: said:
Tesla invited me tonight to what was, according to the invitation, a rather exclusive networking event in Weinstadt. I've also recently started receiving press releases from Tesla. Have I made it into the inner circle? Will we see any of you tonight?

Another tick of information pointing to tomorrow, imo.

Where are $0 down leases being advertised?
Well, they aren’t really “advertised” but if you select a RWD M3 (as the poster above did) and then go to finance/lease and then remove the down payments, changing it to $0, it shows the adjusted price without the down payment calculated and the higher monthly.

It’s an odd practice, but not unusual. They are certainly FUNDING something here so maybe it’s a way to get around not wanting to advertise finance buy downs, or lower prices. For the money, it’s crazy cheap.

Well, they aren’t really “advertised” but if you select a RWD M3 (as the poster above did) and then go to finance/lease and then remove the down payments, changing it to $0, it shows the adjusted price without the down payment calculated and the higher monthly.

It’s an odd practice, but not unusual. They are certainly FUNDING something here so maybe it’s a way to get around not wanting to advertise finance buy downs, or lower prices. For the money, it’s crazy cheap.
Further down on the screen they show where that “zero down” lease still has about $1,800 in upfront costs that you can’t escape.

FWIW, 2024-04-20 00:00 UTC is 2024-04-19 20:00 EDT and 2024-04-19 17:00 PDT (still Friday), so it could get released on "420" and still not yet be a weekend in the Western Hemisphere.
Ah that's a good point, I'd assumed it wouldn't be 20/4 (When formatted correctly :p) because it's a Saturday but hadn't considered they could do it late in US and it would be 20/4 in Europe and still Friday in 19th in the US. Maybe that's enough to keep Elon happy if at least it's 420 in some part of the world :)