Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Highland Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
W
on reflection, I far preferred my 3 to my Y. Yes the Y is more practical but just not fun to drive.

This 3P looks really decent. Proper differentiation from the LR. I would be tempted, but not at that price and finance. If it ever comes down I will take a look. Also would prefer the posh red which isn’t an option. Colours are pretty dull and I can’t face white again.

Decent job though Tesla. Who’d of thought we would be whinging about the price of a car that wipes the floor with a BMW M3 etc. Which cost a lot more.
When you say 'posh' red, do you mean Cherry Red (which is only available on Y)? Because Ultra Red, which is the one available on M3H, S and X is available on this M3P.

Shame really, but this just doesn't float my boat for my next car, might just stick to the current M3P or go off Brand, other than cosmetics its the same car, not going to notice .2 of a sec 0-60.

Bit disappointed as I had this banged on for my next car, APR rates are ridiculous in comparison to Model Y and other brands, and those in out of country, Going to be a wait n see what else turns up off brand, all the hype of 600+ bhp, insane/ludicrous and fancy this and that were all just fiction. What I would really like is a Model S/X Plaid but not doing that in RHD is ridiculous.

Reactions: Durzel
It does look like Tesla have upped the UK price as Topegear weren’t the only ones quoting £55k. Guess we won’t see it drop to that until they adjust prices like other countries. Given that they just announced a drop in revenue and profits for Q1, that might be quicker than you think.

On the subject of BHP the UK and US measure horsepower exactly the same way (one horsepower = 550 foot-pounds per sec, which is 745.699 watts) while Germany measure it slighky lower (one pferdestärke = 735.49875 watts). The McLaren 720S is named after its PS output (720), which is about 710bhp. Given this even if Tesla were quoting PS vs BHP, there isn’t enough difference to explain why the UK car is 50bhp down compared to the US model 3 performance (it’s also the wrong way round as PS is higher than BHP). There’s definitely something odd going on.
As I understand it in order for the car to qualify for the $7500 tax credit it has to be substantially made in America (50%+ ?).

As @FastLaneJB and others have said it seems to be that the US-built M3HP has a US sourced 82kW Panasonic battery, whereas the Euro Shanghai-built one has a 79kW LG battery, hence the difference in peak power.

Still has the same 0-60, presumably because the 79kW LFP battery is lighter? Interestingly in Europe it is quoted as being 3.1 secs 0-100kmh (~63mph), again with rollout subtracted.

To echo the above I feel like it's a real shame they didn't go more balls out with this.. 600bhp+ (ala Ioniq 5N). I guess they don't want to encroach on the Plaid S, but that's not really an option for us unless you're prepared to suffer LHD.

I think the new 3P is defo tempting me out of mine (sept 2020 model, so no heat pump and chromed bits)... but the high price I would stomach if it weren't for the 9.6% APR.

If I spec a slightly more expensive Y Perf with fancy paint, it's £345 cheaper per month with the same deposit (4100), term (48months) and mileage (10k). That's such -massive- difference it really makes me think I'd get a Y instead, and puts me right off the 3P.

I think the new 3P is defo tempting me out of mine (sept 2020 model, so no heat pump and chromed bits)... but the high price I would stomach if it weren't for the 9.6% APR.

If I spec a slightly more expensive Y Perf with fancy paint, it's £345 cheaper per month with the same deposit (4100), term (48months) and mileage (10k). That's such -massive- difference it really makes me think I'd get a Y instead, and puts me right off the 3P.
If you can afford to wait it's obviously better to do so.

Come end of quarter pushes there will be some kind of incentive I would imagine, and I would think that the APR would come down in time. If Tesla can weather 1.8% APR on the Model Y then they can do the same on the Model 3 if they were so inclined.

If you can afford to wait it's obviously better to do so.

Come end of quarter pushes there will be some kind of incentive I would imagine, and I would think that the APR would come down in time. If Tesla can weather 1.8% APR on the Model Y then they can do the same on the Model 3 if they were so inclined.
Interestingly with sales down they may be forced into it, I dont think the new M3P is the shoe in the old one was in the UK.

100% it's worth waiting at this point. Don't forget that apparently the UK EV market has taken a dive.
There's no government incentive, road tax discounts are going soon. I remember it was dead easy to book a test drive of the Highland near me, so there probably isn't that much interest.

I've only seen one Highland out in the wild and I live around EV central.

I'm fortunate to own a Q1/2022 M3P with the Panasonic battery and 3D6 rear motor. It's well known that the LG battery has 34HP less power and with this being the only drivetrain difference between US and UK/EU cars it has to be the reason for the 40HP lower power (in round numbers).

The claims about increased motor power and torque are BS. I also don't see how the 2024 M3P can be the "most powerful Model 3 ever", unless it's an average rather than a peak value, based on the rear motor sustaining power for longer as the front motor drops off. There cannot be more combined peak power but the car will certainly be faster with more sustained power. However the one thing that the M3P didn't need is more power!

From the Jason Cammisa review, it sounds like the ride and handling is massively improved. This could get me into a 2024 M3P but fundamentally the cost to change is ridiculous and I have no desire to lose 60% of £60k again over the next 2 years.

Last edited:
Reactions: boombap and Durzel
Maybe I am an edge case here, but when I bought my M3LR back in 2021 I was not tempted by the M3P - I didn't need the power and the styling upgrades were mediocre.

With this in mind I ordered a M3LR in November expecting to feel the same about the new M3P, and to a degree I kind of wish I waited - but just for the styling. I like the new seats and bumpers, and the addition of a spoiler. Problem is, I would be paying 10k more for how it looks.

I know it defeats the purpose of having unique styling for the M3HP, but I would have been happy if I could have a Performance 'lookalike' LR, think along the lines of M-Sport/ST Line/R-Line Trim on legacy automakers. I am also curious to see if an acceleration boost will come to light for the M3HLR now that the P has set a benchmark - say 4.2s for 0-60 becomes 3.5s.

The price is a bit difficult to stomach, but its on par with what it was when I looked to by my last M3 in 2021 from memory.

I'm surprised that with all of this styling effort there is no factory window tints though.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Temper Tantrum
Both the US and MIC cars are battery limited, the power limit of the MIC LG battery being less than the Panasonic battery, thus the lower stated power. The MIC LG battery also charges slower, and has less capacity, so the car also has less range.

So, in the UK, we pay way more than in the US for a car that isn't as quick, charges slower and has less range.

LG battery is lighter, so it could be that?

Euro sites quote the new car as being 3.1 0-100kmh (which is 62mph) so the suggestion assuming all other things are equal is that it takes the car an additional 0.2 seconds to do an additional 2mph, which seems.. wrong?

US car is quoted as being 510bhp peak power, Euro one is 460bhp.

It seems like it ought to make a difference somewhere, so I'd not be so eager to write it off as a error.

This has been discussed at length over on the speculation topic. The previous M3P would hit peak power of 430kW/585PS at 70-90km/h with the Panasonic battery and 415kW/564PS at 70km/h with the LG battery. Tesla rated the Panasonic car at 377kW/513PS by summing the front and rear motor power and this was achievable down to about 50% SoC.

Rather than providing a HP spec based on summing the peak motor power with the '24 M3P (461kW/627PS) it now appears to be rated similarly to the previous 513PS/506hp with the Panasonic battery and 40/50hp lower with the LG. This is an acknowledgment that the LG is less powerful.

The new 4D2 rear motor has more torque from 0-60 mph and isn't power limited by the battery below 70km/h. It has wider rear tyres and does achieve 2.9s 0-60 with the Panasonic battery. Maybe it will with the LG. I mean it's a simple thing to measure and it wouldn't be claimed otherwise...The rear motor also has what looks like ~20% more sustained power above ~90 km/h, where the front motor does not and this is where the '24 will be faster, and battery limited.

The claim to be "the most powerful Model 3 ever" is true above ~90 km/h, so it makes sense to me for the UK model to have a lower HP to go hand-in-hand with this claim. Ultimately it will still have a peak power of 415kW/564PS.

Last edited:
Reactions: PITA and Clivew
It may also indicate that Tesla are diverted Panasonic capacity away from Model S and X to ensure the MH3P, that has the greatest margins, gets the full tax credit.

Perhaps the Panasonic solution, developed more closely with Tesla, offers higher peak discharge rates for the halo products.

Regardless of what power the car makes with which battery at what speed, etc.. I feel like the M3HP should have had more, somehow. Whether that was an upgraded front motor as well and/or a combination of something else.

As it is it feels pretty mild. You're definitely getting more for your +£10k than you did on the old P, as compared to the LR, so in that respect it's much better.

It's just not enough for me, I don't think, particularly given the absurd PCP rate of 9.6% (bought outright, not going to do that again), significantly higher price than the US, and even Europe.