Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Model 3 Highland (US) Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
in your honest opinion is there a difference in acceleration compared to previous years? Or is it just the top end speed has been lowered and acceleration is the same ?
So, this weekend I test drove the Highland (both the RWD and the AWD versions).

For reference, I'm coming from a LEMR and SR+ Model 3 (both with NCA batteries).

I noticed a huge difference in the acceleration curve between the RWD Highland compared with my previous Model 3's.

For the RWD Highland, the acceleration felt very limited for the first second or so after pressing on the pedal, and then it suddenly jumps up to full throttle. Someone previously posted that the acceleration felt unusual, particularly 0-30, and I can confirm this. I checked to make sure Chill Mode was turned off. It feels like the effect I've seen when the traction control kicks in when going over a slick speed bump and limits your acceleration for split-second afterwards, but I observed this on the RWD Highland during a warm sunny day with dry pavement, with nonaggressive driving. I also tried turning on slip-start, and it didn't make a difference. I should also note that I wasn't stomping on the pedal - just trying to change lanes in congested boulevard driving. (As a side note, I have also seen the same thing when test driving a low-end Kia EV6.) I wonder whether it's software-limited, since electric motors usually provide more, not less, torque at lower RPMs. I asked the sales rep about it, and she said that this was to help ease into the acceleration. She said that previous Tesla owners often notice this, but people new to Tesla don't pick up on it.

So, if you enjoy having the instant, full acceleration when you stomp on the accelerator in a LEMR or SR+, you might be disappointed by the RWD Highland, and it would be a good idea to test drive it first.

After trying the RWD, I test drove the AWD Highland. The good news here is that the acceleration curve felt like what I was expecting: immediate, full torque when pressing on the accelerator, without feeling suppressed for the first second or so.

I can also confirm other observations:
  • The noise/vibration/harshness is vastly improved. I really liked this. It was also really windy in the area, and the wind noise was reduced. After getting back into my LEMR, it sounded like like driving an old Civic, by comparison. It also feels a little "disconnected" from the road, which might be a necessary tradeoff (but one that I'd welcome).
  • The cameras have that signature "red tint" suggesting that they are HW4. They didn't look any sharper on the screen.
  • There is no front bumper camera. (I keep hoping.)
  • The buttons on the steering wheel are physical buttons, with a palpable "click" when pressed. These felt fine to me, did not feel sticky or cheap.
  • Pressing the right scroll wheel no longer invokes voice command - it's used to engage autopilot. Voice command now has its own clicky button.
A couple other observations:
  • There are no longer speakers in the A-pillar, in both the RWD and AWD versions. However, I think the AWD Highland now has an extra speaker in the door, which I didn't recall seeing in the RWD Highland.
  • Regarding fit and finish, I didn't go looking for issues, but it caught my eye that the interior of the AWD didn't line up well - that line with the ambient lighting didn't follow smoothly from the dash to either of the front doors, and it was asymmetric between the two sides. It was as though the door panel protruded into the cabin by a few extra milimeters, more on the left than on the right side. This is something that Tesla probably considers "within spec," but which would bother me. In contrast, the RWD Highland I test drove didn't have any glaring issues with this.
In the end, the lack of stalks was a big issue for me. If this were the only car I drive, I could get used to buttons easily. But multipoint u-turns, with the repetitive swiping up and down on the screen, will take longer and require looking at the screen, even after getting acclimated to it - I tried doing a bunch of them in the parking lot, and it was painful. There are "PRND" buttons up near the rear-view mirror but they take a while to activate, and can't be used without looking at them. The biggest challenge for me would be to develop the muscle memory to switch back and forth between a Highland and an SR+. This is something that my spouse would need to do frequently, and has become the biggest barrier to winning spousal approval on this purchase. (And unfortunately it's not time for both of us to get new Teslas!)

For the RWD Highland, the acceleration felt very limited for the first second or so after pressing on the pedal, and then it suddenly jumps up to full throttle. Someone previously posted that the acceleration felt unusual, particularly 0-30, and I can confirm this. I checked to make sure Chill Mode was turned off. It feels like the effect I've seen when the traction control kicks in when going over a slick speed bump and limits your acceleration for split-second afterwards, but I observed this on the RWD Highland during a warm sunny day with dry pavement, with nonaggressive driving. I
Out of curiosity, did you check or notice if “Obstacle aware acceleration” was on? I have a 2018 M3 LR, and I have found that setting utterly kills acceleration off a light. Well, okay, still faster than most other cars on the road, but it’s horrible for Tesla standards. Turning that setting off made it back to normal!

Reactions: happyelegance
Got an unwanted 3rd update this morning — went from 2/11-2/25 to 2/16-3/1. Here I was thinking I was gonna get a VIN this morning instead 😭

LR, stealth gray, black interior, 18", Southern California
Order date: app says January 11th but in actuality I ordered on January 10th at 5pm PST
Original estimate: Feb - March
1st update (1/22): Feb 18 - March 24
2nd update (2/2): Feb 11 - Feb 25

So, this weekend I test drove the Highland (both the RWD and the AWD versions).

For reference, I'm coming from a LEMR and SR+ Model 3 (both with NCA batteries).

I noticed a huge difference in the acceleration curve between the RWD Highland compared with my previous Model 3's.

For the RWD Highland, the acceleration felt very limited for the first second or so after pressing on the pedal, and then it suddenly jumps up to full throttle. Someone previously posted that the acceleration felt unusual, particularly 0-30, and I can confirm this. I checked to make sure Chill Mode was turned off. It feels like the effect I've seen when the traction control kicks in when going over a slick speed bump and limits your acceleration for split-second afterwards, but I observed this on the RWD Highland during a warm sunny day with dry pavement, with nonaggressive driving. I also tried turning on slip-start, and it didn't make a difference. I should also note that I wasn't stomping on the pedal - just trying to change lanes in congested boulevard driving. (As a side note, I have also seen the same thing when test driving a low-end Kia EV6.) I wonder whether it's software-limited, since electric motors usually provide more, not less, torque at lower RPMs. I asked the sales rep about it, and she said that this was to help ease into the acceleration. She said that previous Tesla owners often notice this, but people new to Tesla don't pick up on it.

So, if you enjoy having the instant, full acceleration when you stomp on the accelerator in a LEMR or SR+, you might be disappointed by the RWD Highland, and it would be a good idea to test drive it first.

After trying the RWD, I test drove the AWD Highland. The good news here is that the acceleration curve felt like what I was expecting: immediate, full torque when pressing on the accelerator, without feeling suppressed for the first second or so.

I can also confirm other observations:
  • The noise/vibration/harshness is vastly improved. I really liked this. It was also really windy in the area, and the wind noise was reduced. After getting back into my LEMR, it sounded like like driving an old Civic, by comparison. It also feels a little "disconnected" from the road, which might be a necessary tradeoff (but one that I'd welcome).
  • The cameras have that signature "red tint" suggesting that they are HW4. They didn't look any sharper on the screen.
  • There is no front bumper camera. (I keep hoping.)
  • The buttons on the steering wheel are physical buttons, with a palpable "click" when pressed. These felt fine to me, did not feel sticky or cheap.
  • Pressing the right scroll wheel no longer invokes voice command - it's used to engage autopilot. Voice command now has its own clicky button.
A couple other observations:
  • There are no longer speakers in the A-pillar, in both the RWD and AWD versions. However, I think the AWD Highland now has an extra speaker in the door, which I didn't recall seeing in the RWD Highland.
  • Regarding fit and finish, I didn't go looking for issues, but it caught my eye that the interior of the AWD didn't line up well - that line with the ambient lighting didn't follow smoothly from the dash to either of the front doors, and it was asymmetric between the two sides. It was as though the door panel protruded into the cabin by a few extra milimeters, more on the left than on the right side. This is something that Tesla probably considers "within spec," but which would bother me. In contrast, the RWD Highland I test drove didn't have any glaring issues with this.
In the end, the lack of stalks was a big issue for me. If this were the only car I drive, I could get used to buttons easily. But multipoint u-turns, with the repetitive swiping up and down on the screen, will take longer and require looking at the screen, even after getting acclimated to it - I tried doing a bunch of them in the parking lot, and it was painful. There are "PRND" buttons up near the rear-view mirror but they take a while to activate, and can't be used without looking at them. The biggest challenge for me would be to develop the muscle memory to switch back and forth between a Highland and an SR+. This is something that my spouse would need to do frequently, and has become the biggest barrier to winning spousal approval on this purchase. (And unfortunately it's not time for both of us to get new Teslas!)
That's a shame about the acceleration, one of the main reasons I am buying my first Tesla is because of the instant acceleration, I did notice that in a couple of videos when people were doing the 0-60 times, I was thinking it looked a bit lagged and slow of the line.

Agreed! I keep looking at all the things I want to buy for my car but it's hard having never even seen it. I did buy a little disco ball for it though. Is there a thread with "all the things you need for a new Tesla" anywhere? I want to be prepared!
Lmao! I actually just bought a matte screen protector, little organizer bins for the storage, a bunch of cute air fresheners from etsy and a 777 sticker 😩 to say I’m prepared is the least of it: also already have money set aside for the 20% tints lol