Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, for the first time, I had an excellent experience at the Rocklin SC during my HW3 - FSD Computer upgrade. I think having a truly Customer Service orientated Service Advisor helped immensely. Ashley was awesome - kept me updated with the progress and made sure I was happy with the work.

The actual HW3 retrofit and computer updates only took 3 hours. My Apple watch and iPhone alerted me about 3 times that various updates were complete. Another hour of service was to check on B-Pillar condensation causing blocked camera issues. Dropped off the car at 8 am and was out of there about noonish. Finally seeing the orange cones and stop lights now.....

• Love
Reactions: hcdavis3
Picked mine up from Burbank today. 2 years and almost 2 months from purchase of my FSD package, I finally have my first benefit - the computer upgrade.

Burbank ended up holding my car through Monday after dropping it off Friday morning and then radio silence on Saturday. I don’t think they started it until this morning. I only ever got the one set of Uber credits that expired the first day I guess, never saw any more.

Most of my settings were kept, so that was nice. AP took 30 or so miles to calibrate. My backup camera is weirdly dark now, which is the only other change I noticed other than the new visuals. AP was pretty solid after the calibration period, only one minor phantom brake event.

Well, for the first time, I had an excellent experience at the Rocklin SC during my HW3 - FSD Computer upgrade. I think having a truly Customer Service orientated Service Advisor helped immensely. Ashley was awesome - kept me updated with the progress and made sure I was happy with the work.

The actual HW3 retrofit and computer updates only took 3 hours. My Apple watch and iPhone alerted me about 3 times that various updates were complete. Another hour of service was to check on B-Pillar condensation causing blocked camera issues. Dropped off the car at 8 am and was out of there about noonish. Finally seeing the orange cones and stop lights now.....
Awesome Jason. You got lucky because on many cars like mine, the firmware update can take many hours. I arrived at 8:00 and left at 3:00 overall pretty pleased. I have an awesome service advisor who helped me after I left and had some questions. The only things I lost were iPhone connection BT and my favorites got stuck. I just deleted them and re added them. Do me a favor and check your glove box. There is a quarter inch gap between the top of the glove box and the silver trim piece above it. My SA said his car is the same. Thanks buddy and have a great day.

• Informative
Reactions: jkoya
Got my S# 34,xxx done.

Dropped off at the Maplewood, MN service center Friday morning. They gave me a 2016 Model S 90D for a loaner. A bit after 4pm I got a text that some of the cars they had in took longer than expected and asked if it would be OK to keep mine over the weekend. That was fine with me. About 2pm Monday I got the app notice that a software update had completed. Just before 3pm they texted me that the car was done and included pickup instructions.

All settings were preserved except Bluetooth pairing and WiFi connection. The cameras were already done calibrating. I did have one phantom brake on the way home. First one in several month. Visualizations showed up right away (after turning on the feature). The backup camera is noticeably sharper. I did have some oddities while setting up the Bluetooth and WiFi. First the Bluetooth connection screen would not come up, just a black box with a progress spinner. I had to do a 2 button reboot and then it showed up and allowed me to set up my phone pairing. Then after entering my WiFi password the entire screen went black and was unresponsive. Two button press did nothing either. I got out and disconnected the charging plug and got back in. Just after getting back in the screen showed the booting sequence and all came back to normal. I wonder if it loaded some kind of navigational update right then?

Do me a favor and check your glove box. There is a quarter inch gap between the top of the glove box and the silver trim piece above it. My SA said his car is the same. Thanks buddy and have a great day.

Just checked the gap between the top of the glove box and the bottom of the silver trim. The gap at the narrowest point, which is the left edge is almost 1/16 of an inch and widens to less than 1/8 of an inch going toward the steering wheel. It's definitely less than a quarter inch...

Sitting in parking lot at Devon PA SC waiting for them to open. Supposed to get HW3 completed today and also replacing charging pins apparently. We shall see.
Ok. They finished it by 12pm. So 4 hours including replacing dead pins in charge port.
Nothing was lost as far as settings that I can see and even Bluetooth remained.
Never realized how many cones I drive by.

Reactions: Pavlo_Y
Just checked the gap between the top of the glove box and the bottom of the silver trim. The gap at the narrowest point, which is the left edge is almost 1/16 of an inch and widens to less than 1/8 of an inch going toward the steering wheel. It's definitely less than a quarter inch...
Thanks buddy.

I dropped off my Model 3 AWD at Tysons VA on Wed (March 19th) at 9:00 AM. I still do not have my car back. I left many voicemails on their service line(never been able to talk to a live person) and texted them asking for update on my car. They called me back 2 times(once on Thursday and once on Saturday) and provided/extended Uber credits. They have never been able to provide a clear answer on when my car will be ready. They just keep saying that there are many cars that came in and my car is next. At this time I am not sure when i will get my car back.
I finally got my car back yesterday(Feb 24) at 2:15 PM. All settings ware restored except the bluetooth connection to phone.

So they denied my X for now, to get HW3, and they removed Ludicrous because they were verifying we had FSD. So i sent them the agreement of sale to prove we had FSD. We had Lud left on the car after we purchased (we didn’t pay the 20k), as they forgot to remove it, but after they postponed our appointment for another time, Lud was removed.

:(

I’m OK with it, but my wife..... oh boy. Holy dog house Batman.
Frikin' ouch man....that's seriously a $h!tty move by Tesla- super painful to read!