Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get that this is a beta FSD "preview", so the eye candy is just a hint of things to come, but the cone thing is a bit much. While I want to be impressed how sideways, knocked over, from-any-angle cones still are recognized (and rendered as a perfectly standing cone), since it identifies so many NON-cone objects as cones, I can't be. Fire hydrant....CONE. Short pole.....CONE. Random thing.....CONE. This FSD computer really has a cONE-TRACK MIND!

• Funny
Reactions: MarcG
(PS do you consider Austin an EV-forsaken land, or Texas in general? I would say our Tesla population is staggeringly large, maybe even on par with the Bay Area. Our per-capita Tesla ownership is double that of Houston and I am often driving on MoPac with 3-4 other Teslas around me.)

TX in general. Austin is better... but if you think the Tesla population here in ATX is remotely comparable to the bay area, you haven't been to CA recently. At least in nice neighborhoods and city centers across California, Teslas are every other to every 3rd car. In really nice neighborhoods of the bay area, 4 out of 5 cars are Teslas. In ATX I'd say it's every 80th - 100th car.

Some Model 3s have a louder popping noise that can be reduced with an updated battery breather component:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10163736-9999.pdf

And your comment reminded me that I also need to reinstall the passenger side car seat before picking up the kids. They left a note saying it needed to be removed but no details why:
View attachment 508019

Interesting. I have definitely heard that thunk before. Especially when supercharging from very low. Had read about it ahead of time, so I was never concerned. Wonder if they ended up just swapping those out for me without putting it on my invoice.

TX in general. Austin is better... but if you think the Tesla population here in ATX is remotely comparable to the bay area, you haven't been to CA recently. At least in nice neighborhoods and city centers across California, Teslas are every other to every 3rd car. In really nice neighborhoods of the bay area, 4 out of 5 cars are Teslas. In ATX I'd say it's every 80th - 100th car.

FWIW CA is entirely its own thing regarding EVs.

But outside of CA, Texas has more Tesla service centers (9) than any other US state.

(Florida is 3rd place (with 8) and pretty much everywhere else is WAY behind- with most states having between 0 and 2 total)

I didn't know about the HW3 upgrade so I drove to my local service center and asked if I was entitled to one. They looked it up and said yes. Then I asked if they had one in stock. They said yes and they would reserve it for me. I then said I'll bring the car in in the morning for the upgrade and I'll also need the 24 month service. They said OK and apologized for not having a loaner but said they would give me $100 a day Uber credits. Due to an issue with the service, they kept my car 4 days. All done!

I was told in advance by the Rocklin, CA SC that I would have to find my own transportation on the day of the HW3 upgrade. Their text stated they do not offer Uber credits or loaner cars on services expected to be completed on the same day. At least they warned me in advance so I could plan for it and it was completed in about 4 hours (3 hours for HW3/test drive and 1 hour to check on the cameras).....

Can you please expand on what you meant by “check on the cameras”?

It wasn't HW3 install related. I was having B-Pillar camera condensation issues. They pulled the error codes before my visit and verified the multiple "door pillar camera blocked or blinded" error messages. They inspected the functionality of all the cameras and took the car on a test drive to make sure all the cameras were working as intended, so AP was ready to go when I got the car back.

It wasn't HW3 install related. I was having B-Pillar camera condensation issues. They pulled the error codes before my visit and verified the multiple "door pillar camera blocked or blinded" error messages. They inspected the functionality of all the cameras and took the car on a test drive to make sure all the cameras were working as intended, so AP was ready to go when I got the car back.

Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. Sounds like the HW3 install is pretty quick then. I might just wait at the SC if they can get started on mine right away #wishfulthinking :D

Just got mine back from the service center in Burbank, CA. I dropped off yesterday morning, so they did keep it overnight. Advisor said it all went smoothly it was just that they were scheduling 10-15 retrofits a day and they can fall behind. She said they just had a meeting where they said they were going to cut back to something like 8/day.

Looks like the bluetooth and wifi modules get replaced as part of of the swap as I had to re-pair my phone during which the car appeared as a new device with new MAC address. Same with WiFi.

Autopilot took about 8 miles or so to calibrate the cameras after leaving the SC. I had to turn on NoA and the visualizations in the autopilot settings - both were turned off. One other interesting thing.... it was in the process of downloading a map update as a I left the SC. I don't know if that's new for 2020 or what. It hasn't completed yet and I don't remember exactly what the screen said when I looked.

Driver profiles, trip meters, and radio favorites were all intact.

No other work was done (MidRange, Dec 2018 build, VIN 160xxx) so there must not have been any open service bulletins.

• Informative
Reactions: Kmartyn
I dropped off mine yesterday at 8am.. He indicated that maybe today.... this is Decatur GA which I consider a really good SC. I've had all my non mobile work done here and they have always been amazing. Normally I'd get a Tesla Loaner but yesterday they were slammed and offered me a rental or Uber. This one is open Saturday I assume to catch up as he said it was not norrmal...so maybe I'll just pick mine up in the AM and avoid the Friday afternoon rush hour traffic.

Update on the Maps... when I got my car back from the SC. It told me a map update was available. The interesting thing is the map version installed was 2019-6, which was old. The one that was on there when it went in for the retrofit was 2019-20. Seems weird that something with the retrofit would install an old map in the MCU... anyone know what's up with that?

Update on the Maps... when I got my car back from the SC. It told me a map update was available. The interesting thing is the map version installed was 2019-6, which was old. The one that was on there when it went in for the retrofit was 2019-20. Seems weird that something with the retrofit would install an old map in the MCU... anyone know what's up with that?
Where do you see what version of the map is currently installed in your car?