Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 HW3 retrofit questions, wait time, issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Where do you see what version of the map is currently installed in your car?

In the Software section, under the firmware version:

31C0D6A7-1E0F-4E3C-8145-7C2795E29BC1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Pavlo_Y
Looks like the bluetooth and wifi modules get replaced as part of of the swap as I had to re-pair my phone during which the car appeared as a new device with new MAC address. Same with WiFi.
Glad you mention these details, @hugh_jassol!

Before leaving the Tesla Service Center yesterday after my HW3 retrofit, I noticed all my settings and odometer data were gone lost, as many others have reported. I mentioned it to the service person, he took my car in, 15 minutes later, all set, nothing lost at all, a rather nice surprise.

I did have to re-pair Bluetooth and re-connect to WiFi once back home, followed by a big navigation map update and game update, wrote the whole experience up in detail in my article published last night that I updated earlier today:
https://TinkerTry.com/model-3-lost-profiles-after-hw3-fixed-by-tesla
sincerely hoping it spares some others a bit of trouble.

Glad you mention these details, @hugh_jassol!

Before leaving the Tesla Service Center yesterday after my HW3 retrofit, I noticed all my settings and odometer data were gone lost, as many others have reported. I mentioned it to the service person, he took my car in, 15 minutes later, all set, nothing lost at all, a rather nice surprise.

I did have to re-pair Bluetooth and re-connect to WiFi once back home, followed by a big navigation map update and game update, wrote the whole experience up in detail in my article published last night that I updated earlier today:
https://TinkerTry.com/model-3-lost-profiles-after-hw3-fixed-by-tesla
sincerely hoping it spares some others a bit of trouble.
Interesting... so you think they are just wholesale swapping the MCU+HW3 boards as a unit for expediency? I guess that makes sense and would also explain why I had the older map data and the new MAC addresses for BT and WiFi

Just finished with retrofit. I’m seeing cones but not stoplights and stop signs. The car was driven 11 miles during service and another 6 miles home. How long does calibration take before you see anything. Sales advisor didn’t say.

Do you just schedule service in your app and see if they schedule it? I also updated during the sale last year and just look in this thread now and excited to see people in the Bay area around my upgrade time are getting their hardware.

Last edited:
Do you just schedule service in your app and see if they schedule it? I also updated during the sale last year and just look in this thread now and excited to see people in the Bay area around my upgrade time are getting their hardware.
In the app, I scheduled maintenance in the "Other" category and put "Full Self Driving Computer Retrofit" as the description. The only choice is to schedule mobile service, but the next day they contacted me to schedule at a service center because the Model 3 needs to be done at a SC. I tried once before back in Jan and they canceled on me and said "We will contact you when it's time"... but based on posts I saw here, I tried again a few weeks ago and it worked.

Reactions: SMAlset
Interesting... so you think they are just wholesale swapping the MCU+HW3 boards as a unit for expediency? I guess that makes sense and would also explain why I had the older map data and the new MAC addresses for BT and WiFi
Yep, sure seems so, seek also some images I added to the article. My Model 3 now appears as a new device on my home’s guest WiFi, makes sense, given the new MAC address.

In the app, I scheduled maintenance in the "Other" category and put "Full Self Driving Computer Retrofit" as the description. The only choice is to schedule mobile service, but the next day they contacted me to schedule at a service center because the Model 3 needs to be done at a SC. I tried once before back in Jan and they canceled on me and said "We will contact you when it's time"... but based on posts I saw here, I tried again a few weeks ago and it worked.

This is exactly what I did and it worked this time. I tried a month or so ago, but they sent me a cancelation notice the next day.

• Informative
Reactions: SMAlset
Finally I got scheduled for HW3 retrofit on next Thursday, 2/27/2020, at Watertown MA Service Center. My VIN is 15xxx and has FSD option when I got my car in April 2018. Hopefully HW3 retrofit start speeding up in MA.
I got rescheduled to this Saturday. It was done in about 3 hours. So far everything looks good. I have to re-do the favorites on radio but not other radio. I also need to re-do the bluetooth for my iPhone (iPhone key is fine and no need to re-do) and the home wifi. I don't need to reset profile. I don't see the gap on glovebox. I can see the traffic lights instantly. I'm still downloading the navigation data. The autopilot is available after 8 miles of driving. The cameras are calibrated up to 85% now. Once it's done, I'll check the NOA features.

I got rescheduled to this Saturday. It was done in about 3 hours. So far everything looks good. I have to re-do the favorites on radio but not other radio. I also need to re-do the bluetooth for my iPhone (iPhone key is fine and no need to re-do) and the home wifi. I don't need to reset profile. I don't see the gap on glovebox. I can see the traffic lights instantly. I'm still downloading the navigation data. The autopilot is available after 8 miles of driving. The cameras are calibrated up to 85% now. Once it's done, I'll check the NOA features.
NOA works after navigation data is downloaded. Found issues on YouTube. I cannot sign in.