Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Interior: Ugh!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn't make sense to embed the only point of information in the vehicle. The floating screen is most likely adjustable to allow you to position it better for your use. Not to mention that it would most likely intrude on leg room to embed a screen in landscape mode, with how low the dash is.

Good point.

I'm really okay with the floating screen but I'd be happier if it's removable so I can just take it out when I don't require it.

• Funny
Reactions: tracksyde
Its your only spedometer...you always require it. :confused:

Can't I use Waze on my phone or have somebody in the rear playing with the display tell me how fast I'm going? I think sticking a smartphone mount on top of the dash won't look as atrocious but I concur with those for the floating display that if that's the final design, we will eventually get used to it.

Technicians and I can wander around the vehicle inspecting various things with the display on hand. :)

Some have suggested a floating display is required so as to save on additional complexities when assembling left-hand or right hand drive vehicles.

If the dashboard is completely symmetric, why can't the display be embedded (or attached by connector like in removable radio faces or even held by mounts ala mounted tablet holders for ease of removal/repair) anyway?
What? I have never heard this as a reason. It's very obvious why the screen is floating. It needs to be close enough to the driver to function as the IC and also to make it easier to reach (since now it is more primary to the car's functionality).

There are really only two ways to integrate it while keeping the position:
1) raise the entire dash much higher and move it closer (would completely change the design)
2) add a surround around the screen (but it'll still be jutting out instead of flush with the dash).

I think aesthetically, the current design would look better than #2, and #1 really isn't an option (would make visibility much worse).

Last edited:
Can anyone tweet EM and ask if the floating display is part of the final design? :)

I only opened a twitter account five years ago to get some Bestbuy discount and haven't used it since so I'm not volunteering.

I still think the display will be embedded somehow because that floating display is really an eyesore. I'm sure most wouldn't mind an embedded display just like in the Model S while the rest of the dash is empty and adorned by fake wood panels.
Assuming the screen needs to stay in the same physical position for usability, how would you propose to "embed" it into the dash? You can't without it either looking horrible, or starting over with the rest of the dash.

One nice thing about the simplicity of the dash is it gives them the ability to have nice materials but still keep the costs down because the shape is simple and relatively small.

Why are people still commenting about things that were revealed over a year ago like they are new?

Agreed. I also don't understand why many here are acting as if this was the first time they'd seen the interior. This is not exactly 'newsworthy'.
I would assume it's because lots of people thought the reveal versions were concept cars like most companies unveil initially or they had some image in their mind based on Elon's spaceship tweet. Obviously they were wrong, and are now disappointed (others are still in denial).

Because designs and such change going from a sketch up to a production vehicle.
On the 3 however, they had to lock in the production design only a couple months (July 2016) after the unveiling (March 31, 2016). There simply wasn't enough time for a major redesign.

In this related article about the interior, shortly after unveiling, the staff there already said that the interior was pretty much production ready (which makes sense given the timeline).
"Another plausible explanation is that the interior simply isn't done. That is true: there will be more to this car by the time it's released a year and a half from now, but I was told by a Tesla staffer at last night's event that the dash is essentially production-ready in its current state. In other words, the details may change, but the overall concept isn't likely to change much; I would be shocked if a traditional instrument cluster magically sprouted between now and late 2017."
Why is the Tesla Model 3's dashboard so weird?

I think this Elon tweet was more what tripped up people "Wait until you see the real steering controls and system for the 3. It feels like a spaceship."

Well we all see that the steering wheel did change. The initial one had no controls. The new one has what looks like two trackballs (completely different than the scroll wheels in the Model S/X and typical cars), which none of us know the functionality yet.

Also since then, Elon did the FSD unveiling and said that was part 2 of the Model 3 announcements (explaining that is the rationale for the interior design).

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
The design team has presented us their solution and our dollars will tell them load and clear if it is a successful design. As this car is the first big step to autonomous driving the interior fits the design. I suspect most people voicing their opinions have never designed or had anything designed for them. Grab a blank sheet of paper or a blank computer screen and go at it. Make the masses want your design. My biggest concern is will the seats be comfortable.

I guess we'll have to live with the design decision. After going through some of these threads and a few external blogs, I have come to a realization that this floating display must be it. :)

Don’t fear the wafer

Leave it to Tesla to unashamedly waferize the automobile. But why not at least embed the wafer as in the Model S and X? A floating wafer must be far easier and cheaper, plus readily compatible for right-and-drive countries. Moreover, the Model III dash area barely exists. The front seats are almost in the frunk, to free up rear legroom. Ergonomic quirks are bound to result. At least the view over the super-low cowl should be excellent.

The design team has presented us their solution and our dollars will tell them load and clear if it is a successful design. As this car is the first big step to autonomous driving the interior fits the design. I suspect most people voicing their opinions have never designed or had anything designed for them. Grab a blank sheet of paper or a blank computer screen and go at it. Make the masses want your design. My biggest concern is will the seats be comfortable.

Why would the seat ergonomics be very different from the Model S (I only briefly sat in a friend's and I didn't want to test drive it so I have no opinion on how comfortable the seats are)? If Tesla is trying to save on production costs, won't they be using the previous seat design and adjust it a bit depending on the interior dimensions?

Easy for Tesla to do this in 2017/18 because there aren't a lot of competing BEV. If this was in 2022, I might have opted for another vehicle like an electrified BMW.

It's not about the masses loving the design, it's just that the masses have no choice at the moment though I do understand that this floating design can/will be more ergonomic since it will likely be adjustable.

I'm still thankful that Tesla exists because without it, there wouldn't be any BEVs around.

Last edited:
Why would the seat ergonomics be very different from the Model S (I only briefly sat in a friend's and I didn't want to test drive it so I have no opinion on how comfortable the seats are)? If Tesla is trying to save on production costs, won't they be using the previous seat design and adjust it a bit depending on the interior dimensions?.
Gen 1 Model S seats were poor. Gen 2 was a big improvement. Let's hope Tesla remembers how to build a good seat for the Gen 1 Model 3.
Robin

Reactions: internalaudit
That's probably due to short attention spans ... if they'd only kept reading:
It feels like a spaceship.

In English, we colloquially use the word "see" as a synonym for experience, witness, use, etc.

Feels like a spaceship --> as in very spacious? (which it currently is)

So you are suggesting people thought the original statement to have been, controls "look like that from a spaceship"?

Interesting observation.

Feels like a spaceship --> as in very spacious? (which it currently is)

So you are suggesting people thought the original statement to have been, controls "look like that from a spaceship"?

Interesting observation.
The original statement should have been something along the lines of "wait until you experience the steering controls and system for the 3. It'll feel like a spaceship."

let's keep in mind that in context he was responding to:
1.Ferrari like steering wheel 2.Move stick functions(turn signals,horn,etc.) on a paddle shifter behind wheel. That would be cool!

many of us thought it meant this steering wheel, in combination to the large glass, and awesome acceleration:
rJ6UlZ.jpg