Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 inventories up -- any deals happening?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed on Tesla's website new inventory that they're no longer showing the VIN's anymore on Model 3 inventory cars.

Last week and before that, you could look up available cars in your area and it would show the VIN, current mileage, and which delivery center it was at. Now, there's no VIN when you click on View Details, and it also doesn't list which delivery center the car is at, and instead just tells you the area it's in. For my zip, it now says "Los Angeles". Before that, it would tell me whether the car was at Burbank, Costa Mesa, Buena Park, Marina del Rey, or Santa Barbara.

Maybe Tesla did this because they're currently doing home deliveries in the LA area, so location doesn't matter right now. If that's the case, then I'm sure they're just grabbing a car that matches your order spec that's already sitting at the closest delivery center to you. In the past, you could see this inventory, along with the VIN's and mileage for each of those cars.

Now, Tesla will just assign whatever VIN and car to you that they choose. This isn't bad if you get one of the newer 705-706xxx VIN's like I did, but it would be crappy to get an earlier production car in the 660-690xxx range that are currently out there.... a bunch of them all over the country.

Reactions: bradfridell
I noticed on Tesla's website new inventory that they're no longer showing the VIN's anymore on Model 3 inventory cars.

Last week and before that, you could look up available cars in your area and it would show the VIN, current mileage, and which delivery center it was at. Now, there's no VIN when you click on View Details, and it also doesn't list which delivery center the car is at, and instead just tells you the area it's in. For my zip, it now says "Los Angeles". Before that, it would tell me whether the car was at Burbank, Costa Mesa, Buena Park, Marina del Rey, or Santa Barbara.

Maybe Tesla did this because they're currently doing home deliveries in the LA area, so location doesn't matter right now. If that's the case, then I'm sure they're just grabbing a car that matches your order spec that's already sitting at the closest delivery center to you. In the past, you could see this inventory, along with the VIN's and mileage for each of those cars.

Now, Tesla will just assign whatever VIN and car to you that they choose. This isn't bad if you get one of the newer 705-706xxx VIN's like I did, but it would be crappy to get an earlier production car in the 660-690xxx range that are currently out there.... a bunch of them all over the country.

Hi SDM44,

Congrats on your new 3!

What is the issue with 660-690xxx range production except earlier production comparing with 705+ VINs? When did you take the delivery?

What is the issue with 660-690xxx range production except earlier production comparing with 705+ VINs? When did you take the delivery?

No issues that I'm aware of. Just that the 660-690xxx VIN range has been sitting around for awhile now, I believe since November or December. The 705+ VIN's have a March 2020 build date (like my car) so they're just newer.

Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to buy a Tesla then I would want the latest & greatest, and that's the most current build.

I am thinking about getting one next week. Can anyone share your experience if you bought recently? How was the overall readiness of the car? I was concerning about the lack of staff at Tesla deliver centers.

I posted my experience a few pages back, but I received a home delivery. I took delivery of my car on 3/31 and my delivery was scheduled at 5pm, but they showed up at 8:30pm. Can't really blame them since they drove 35 miles from the Burbank delivery center to my house, and it was the last day of the quarter so they had a lot of deliveries to do that day.

I have good lighting in front of my house and some really bright 3000+ lumen flashlights, so I was able to illuminate everything clear as day. I walked around to examine the paint & panel gaps, and then looked inside everywhere. Paint was flawless and no noticeable panel gaps. The only thing I noticed was a discoloration on the front passenger side seat pan, which a really bright LED flashlight could pick up but you may not see it well under sunlight. The discoloration easily came off when I used some baby wipes and then wiped it dry with a microfiber towel. Besides that, the car was perfect.

If you take home delivery of a car now, the delivery guy probably won't be in such a rush to take off so take your time examining the car to make sure there's no imperfections, and do this before you sign their tablet and pay the remaining balance (if you're going to give them a check). If there are any issues and if you still want to keep the car, make sure you tell the Tesla delivery driver about any issues so they can notate it on your account as a Due Bill (recognized issues that will get addressed later by mobile service or a service center). Since going to a bank these days can be iffy to get a cashier's check, Tesla said they would take a personal check upon delivery. I had one ready, but decided to just grab my laptop and make the final payment electronically through my account on Tesla's website while the delivery guy watched. Once he saw that I authorized the payment, we both received immediate confirmation of it and then he left.

Other than that, the whole process is just like taking delivery with any other car.... do your due diligence looking over the paperwork, examine the car thoroughly, and then pay the man so you can take possession of your new Tesla :D

I posted my experience a few pages back, but I received a home delivery. I took delivery of my car on 3/31 and my delivery was scheduled at 5pm, but they showed up at 8:30pm. Can't really blame them since they drove 35 miles from the Burbank delivery center to my house, and it was the last day of the quarter so they had a lot of deliveries to do that day.

I have good lighting in front of my house and some really bright 3000+ lumen flashlights, so I was able to illuminate everything clear as day. I walked around to examine the paint & panel gaps, and then looked inside everywhere. Paint was flawless and no noticeable panel gaps. The only thing I noticed was a discoloration on the front passenger side seat pan, which a really bright LED flashlight could pick up but you may not see it well under sunlight. The discoloration easily came off when I used some baby wipes and then wiped it dry with a microfiber towel. Besides that, the car was perfect.

If you take home delivery of a car now, the delivery guy probably won't be in such a rush to take off so take your time examining the car to make sure there's no imperfections, and do this before you sign their tablet and pay the remaining balance (if you're going to give them a check). If there are any issues and if you still want to keep the car, make sure you tell the Tesla delivery driver about any issues so they can notate it on your account as a Due Bill (recognized issues that will get addressed later by mobile service or a service center). Since going to a bank these days can be iffy to get a cashier's check, Tesla said they would take a personal check upon delivery. I had one ready, but decided to just grab my laptop and make the final payment electronically through my account on Tesla's website while the delivery guy watched. Once he saw that I authorized the payment, we both received immediate confirmation of it and then he left.

Other than that, the whole process is just like taking delivery with any other car.... do your due diligence looking over the paperwork, examine the car thoroughly, and then pay the man so you can take possession of your new Tesla :D

SDM44,

Thank you so much your message. This is really helpful.

Did Tesla deliver your car on flatbed truck?