Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, if it is incapable of passive entry, how is it capable of allowing the car to start/go? Isn't it the same proximity sensing mechanism? Is this FOB ONLY able to open the trunk and frunk? What else will it do?

It can do passive the-car-was-unlocked-and-you're-inside.

Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to find a cheap, small android phone that works reliably as a key.
My Android phone cost me $110 4 years ago, and it can do a lot. Maybe there's some cheap phone out there that sucks as a phone, but has reliable Bluetooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: forkee
If that is the reason, why not improve the technology? Is this a problem with every other car manufacturer that offers a key fob and passive entry? Is bmw no longer shipping key fobs because of this concern?

Excellent question :)

As @eli_ above mentioned, the best solution would be to enable Passive Entry and let owners toggle it on/off if they feel their car is at an increased risk of theft.

I have a 3 year old Samsung Galaxy S6 and I have to do none of those things. I walk up to the car and open the trunk.

Make sure you've actually set your phone not to try to optimize power usage with the Tesla app.

You missed the part where he said “Frunk”. I agree this is the main reason I never use the frunk because it is such a pain to open. I would just rather walk to the rear of the car and open the trunk using the button under the lid.

I do love the phone key and it has worked flawlessly thus far. I would never consider going back to having a FOB my pocket.

Can anyone tell from photos if the shape is different from the Model S key fob? Will cases designed or the Model S key fob work with this?

Model 3 key fob:
1449859-00-D_0.jpg

Model S key fob:
keyfob.jpg

Lol I love how o had to go through a page of outrage before someone mentioned this.

I mainly want this for summon. Phone app is too slow

Lol I love how you stopped at that post and didn't read the one right below it:

Email from Tesla today....

“Thank you for contacting Tesla! The Model 3 key fob is being offered on the store for $150.00 as an alternate option to the phone key and key card. The key fob is not being offered free of charge at this time as it is optional and not a feature that comes with the vehicle.
I hope this helps answer your question!”

For future customer support needs, please feel free to reach out directly to our dedicated customer support teams via [email protected]

This would not be good and I doubt this is the case to start the car. Perhaps to add a new key fob, but definitely not to start. Unless it is... in which case the key fob is officially stupid.

From the FAQ it seems that if you unlock the car with the fob that you can drive it away without touching the fon to the center console: Model 3 Key Fob

The Key Fob does not seem to be working and I can’t get into my car. What should I do?
If your Model 3 does not unlock when you press the unlock button on your Key Fob, the key’s battery could be dead. In this case, you can still unlock and drive your Model 3, as the Key Fob functions identically to the Model 3 Key Card. To unlock your Model 3 with the Key Fob when the battery is depleted, position the key on the B-pillar, as you would with your Key Card. You will then have two minutes to place the car in drive. If you need to put your car into drive after two minutes, touch the Key Fob to the center console, the same as you would with the Key Card.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12