Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Key Fob is here: $150

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would not be good and I doubt this is the case to start the car. Perhaps to add a new key fob, but definitely not to start. Unless it is... in which case the key fob is officially stupid.
I wouldn't be surprised. In other cars that have fobs without proximity detection you usually have to place the fob in a special slot or extend a key blade and put it in the ignition. This works using near-field communication similar to the Model 3 key cards, so it would be kind of logical that you use the fob in the same way. That also means if you push the brake quickly after entering, you may not need the fob at all to start the car.

Reactions: eli_
I wouldn't be surprised. In other cars that have fobs without proximity detection you usually have to place the fob in a special slot or extend a key blade and put it in the ignition. This works using near-field communication similar to the Model 3 key cards, so it would be kind of logical that you use the fob in the same way. That also means if you push the brake quickly after entering, you may not need the fob at all to start the car.

I think this is right, the FCC certification document for the Model 3 fob shows that it also uses the 13.56mhz band, which would be RFID/NFC.

Reactions: BobAbooey
Where do I attach this fob to my key ring? From the pictures I've seen I don't see anyplace to connect it to a standard key ring. Sorry if this is a bit basic, but I assume nothing with Tesla anymore

Tesla has a key ring that hooks inside the battery cover of the keyfob. When we got our Model X, we received a pair of them.. they were in a box that looks exactly like the Model 3 keyfob box in the picture.

For some reference an additional Mercedes key is $350 so this isn't so bad. Plus this looks way cooler :cool:
That's accurate, but apples to apples you get 2 FOBs included with the car when you buy it, whereas Tesla makes you pay extra for FOBs. If I got 2 FOBs when I got my 3 I wouldn't care about the price as I wouldn't need more (and if I lost/broke one well shame on me and I'll pay the price for the replacement)

I believe this is the most expensive fob Tesla sells with the least functionality too. Just an insult to those of us who dare to not accept the shoddy engineering with a big smile and koolaid mustache.

My phone works about 25% of the time and never for the trunk. When I go to open the door for my passenger, I have to go to the driver side first to tap the card key before going around to let them in? We are paying dearly for Tesla's crap engineering.

I believe this is the most expensive fob Tesla sells with the least functionality too. Just an insult to those of us who dare to not accept the shoddy engineering with a big smile and koolaid mustache.

My phone works about 25% of the time and never for the trunk. When I go to open the door for my passenger, I have to go to the driver side first to tap the card key before going around to let them in? We are paying dearly for Tesla's crap engineering.
You shouldn't have to, but you could try another phone. I mean might be better than buying the FOB. I only had my car for just over a week before it went back in for service, but my Pixel2 XL worked 100% of the time. Unless you include summon.. That only worked about 25% of the time.

The one thing the fob will be very useful for opening the frunk. I hate having to:
  1. Take out my phone,
  2. unlock my phone,
  3. find the Tesla app,
  4. wait for it to load,
  5. click the trunk button,
  6. confirm that I actually want to open it,
  7. wait for it to actually open.
especially if my hands are full...

With a fob, I can usually pry away a finger and get to the fob in my pocket and double-click through my pant fabric.

I wish they would have implemented a "knock-knock" sensor in conjunction with proximity detection (phone, fob, whatever).

On my S8, pulling down the notification menu twice gives me the options to unlock, open the frunk or trunk without launching the app. Oh and my wife and I have 0 issue with our S8 & S8+ in the past 4.5 months.

20181108_192037.jpg

Last edited:
Hey check out this fun fact by Tesla:

The Key Fob does not seem to be working and I can’t get into my car. What should I do?
If your Model 3 does not unlock when you press the unlock button on your Key Fob, the key’s battery could be dead. In this case, you can still unlock and drive your Model 3, as the Key Fob functions identically to the Model 3 Key Card. To unlock your Model 3 with the Key Fob when the battery is depleted, position the key on the B-pillar, as you would with your Key Card. You will then have two minutes to place the car in drive. If you need to put your car into drive after two minutes, touch the Key Fob to the center console, the same as you would with the Key Card.

I guess it works similar to the Tesla key card. Interesting.