Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Key Fob yes/no?

Key Fob or no thank you?

• Yes - Key Fob me!

Votes: 219 59.3%
  • No Fob for me, thank you.

Votes: 150 40.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the phone procedure versus the fob procedure for unlocking the trunk or frunk? Okay, we know the latter is to push a part of the fob without even removing it from your pocket (or purse). Will one have to remove the phone and open the Tesla app? Thanks.

For the trunk, if you are at the car, pressing the button above the license plate will open the trunk. If you are not at the car but, say, approaching it with a bag of groceries while it's raining, and would like to have the trunk be open, pulling out the phone and using the app is the only option.

For the frunk, whether you are at the car or otherwise, using the app is the only option.

For either to work, the phone and the car need to be connected to the data network.

Funny
I rarely take x key-fob out of my pocket
Usually have cell phone in pocket
Getting 3 in a couple of weeks, don’t think I’ll miss the key-fob.
Cell phone in the pocket is not a very good idea. EMF radiation is unlikely to have health benefits, but likely to have the opposite effect. For example, when phone is held next to the ear, EMF penetrates 2 inches into the brain.
I always have wallet in my pocket and will add one of those key cards in there. The phone sometimes fully discharges, especially if I heavily run maps & Pandora on it and then maybe go hiking into the mountains. It happened enough number of times that I wouldn't rely on the phone 100%.

• Disagree
Reactions: mattcrowley
Not everyone carries a smart phone. There should be fob option. They should definitely make it flatter than the S an X fobs, though.
I think there is an assumption nowadays that everybody does. For example, recently visited Galveston and after parking found out that you can only pay for the parking via the phone app if you enter whatever number they post next to your parking spot. Pretty soon if you don't have a phone you'll feel like a disabled person that cannot accomplish any task.

Reactions: APotatoGod
For either to work, the phone and the car need to be connected to the data network.
They don't have to be connected to the network for the car to unlock and being able to drive without the key card, do they? I would think you could push the trunk open button, on the back of the car, without being connected to the network. When the car is unlocked you should be able to manually open the trunk. I can understand the frunk since there is no button on the outside of the car to open it.

If I were to get a 3 I would put the key card in my phone case. If phone hesitates at all to open car I can just hold phone to pillar and I'm in. This is assuming signal is strong enough. I already keep some emergency cash in this location. Yes, phone could be lost but in 15-20 years of cell phone use I've never lost my phone.

I don't really see the need. I think Tesla is ahead of the curve once again. I think many cars in the future will abandon the traditional fob for a mobile integration solution or credit card form factor key. However, it would be nice if you could get more than one CC emergency key. I liken it somewhat to when you go to a hotel and your key gets de-magnetized or lost, and they give you a new one. Maybe a matter of going to the dealer to get a duplicate, or you simply get two CC keys when you buy the car.

They don't have to be connected to the network for the car to unlock and being able to drive without the key card, do they? I would think you could push the trunk open button, on the back of the car, without being connected to the network. When the car is unlocked you should be able to manually open the trunk. I can understand the frunk since there is no button on the outside of the car to open it.
The phone app can communicate unlock signals over bluetooth, no data network (pedantically speaking, a bluetooth connection is technically a data network, but assuming you meant a cell or wifi network) required. I believe it can also open the frunk over bluetooth - trying to find the owner thread who tested this out...

Reactions: int32_t
Protip: My key card is in my wallet and it works “through” the wallet. So fellas (and ladies with wallets) if you just hold your wallet to the B-Pillar, it will also lock/I unlock your car.. saves a few seconds!
Sounds good, just have to make sure you don't park in the dark alley where your wallet may attract unwanted attention.

I think there is an assumption nowadays that everybody does. For example, recently visited Galveston and after parking found out that you can only pay for the parking via the phone app if you enter whatever number they post next to your parking spot. Pretty soon if you don't have a phone you'll feel like a disabled person that cannot accomplish any task.
While I own a smartphone I rarely carry it. Not having one forever in my pocket demanding attention on its schedule does not leave me feeling disabled. It leaves me feeling free to accomplish the things I choose to accomplish, with clarity and focus.
That said, when I'm out and about in the Triumph, the iPhone gets tossed in the tool bag, where, IMO, it belongs. Just in case.
Never needed it, though.
Robin

Here is scenario #2. What if you leave your phone in the car? Does it auto lock as well? With the key card in the car , it does auto lock if you have the feature enabled...
Thats the thing about using the phone instead of a fob. The fob is fairly unobtrusive and I don't need to take it out of my pocket, but I put my phone on the passenger seat or in the cubby. I'm way more likely to accidentally leave my phone in the car than my fob.

The phone app can communicate unlock signals over bluetooth, no data network (pedantically speaking, a bluetooth connection is technically a data network, but assuming you meant a cell or wifi network) required. I believe it can also open the frunk over bluetooth - trying to find the owner thread who tested this out...

I’ll try this out by turning off my cell radio and WiFi but leaving Bluetooth on.

I’m not near the car right now (for Bluetooth to work, of course) and all controls are disabled:

789ED18D-1766-484A-AD01-E39B10B66B6F.png