Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Key Fob yes/no?

Key Fob or no thank you?

• Yes - Key Fob me!

Votes: 219 59.3%
  • No Fob for me, thank you.

Votes: 150 40.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like things are improving. The Tesla app got an update yesterday and now, my wife’s iPhone 6S does not appear to have issues - where she had to hover around the car for a while and had to open her app explicitly most of the time to get the car to open - anymore. The car unlocks smoothly now as she walks up.

Furthermore, I no longer need to have the 3 as the selected car in the app on my iPhone X either (I had no other issues in the past except to ensure that it was the 3 and not the S that was the selected car; I haven’t had the need to bring the app to the foreground otherwise).

Here are the notes and version of the app now:

18B5A666-F30D-4628-B2F4-E9D3392CFB17.jpeg
D475490F-73CC-47F5-B32A-CF2126C90EEA.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
Furthermore, I no longer need to have the 3 as the selected car in the app on my iPhone X either (I had no other issues in the past except to ensure that it was the 3 and not the S that was the selected car; I haven’t had the need to bring the app to the foreground otherwise).

This sounds encouraging if it can be corroborated by others. (This issue really stood out to me as a completely unacceptable inadequacy in how the "phone fob" functioned.)

This sounds encouraging if it can be corroborated by others. (This issue really stood out to me as a completely unacceptable inadequacy in how the "phone fob" functioned.)

Hmm... I may have spoken too soon. Didn't work that way this morning. My wife and her phone must have been nearby when I pulled into the garage the other day in the S and the 3 woke up. Sorry about that.

So theoretically, possibly, maybe a fob for an S could be programmed for a model 3? the change on the S fob was about the time of the 3 development soooooo maybe the same programming/hardware in both? Should be easy, as we always reminded the programmers, "it's only typing!"

• Funny
Reactions: david_42
Checkout the optional key fob for the i8 and other BMWs...WOW:

Wow, what an ridiculously complex thingamajiggy! This is exactly why Tesla went with the phone app:

We already have phones
Phones have big screens,
Phones have lots of processing power
Phones have excellent blue tooth
Giant fobs are redundant... this stuff can be put on a phone.
We don't have to carry another thing that is almost as big and heavy as our phone.
We don't have to charge one more thing.
We don't have to pay hundreds of dollars (probably thousands, because it's BMW) if we loose our mega-fog.
We don't have one more thing to update.
We don't have one more think to break.
We don't have one more thing to forget about in our pocket when we jump in the pool.

The Tesla phone app fob is genius. Separate fobs RIP... your days are numbered :D

Reactions: landis and T-Will
There's bound to be bugs as things are getting started, but I think in the long run, the idea is sound (and a better idea than a complex key like BMW). Maybe have a optional fob for those that don't want to use the phone.

Reactions: T-Will
If just unlock vehicle to enter driver seat, a card might be good enough. But, what if I just want to open trunk? With card, I will need to use card to touch pillar and then open trunk, or waiting smart phone to open app and hopefully it will get connected, and then open the trunk? Wait... I just want to open the trunk, why do I need to unlock all the door, this allow theft to enter while i'm at rear busy with trunk ... No Way!

Key fob please!

Last edited:
If just unlock vehicle to enter driver seat, a card might be good enough. But, what if I just want to open trunk? With card, I will need to use card to touch pillar and then open trunk, or waiting smart phone to open app and hopefully it will get connected, and then open the trunk? Wait... I just want to open trunk, why do I need to unlock all the door, this allow theft to enter while i'm at rear busy with trunk ... No Way!

Key fob please!

The phone unlocks the car so you can just walk up and open the trunk. You don't have to use the card. Since my phone app was set up, I haven't had to use the card once. Best system ever!

• Disagree
After thinking about it for several days, I'm going to walk back one comment I made earlier. I'm still voting for a key fob, but make it like most other similar systems out there: you need to press a button to lock the car and a separate button to unlock it. You could even include buttons for the trunk and frunk. Here's my reasoning:

- As opposed to an automatic unlocking/locking function, the user/owner has complete control over when the car gets unlocked/locked.
- No learning curve involved. It's already established protocol that most everybody knows. Keep the smartphone and keycard methods for the people who like them.
- Promote the key fob as a choice. People like to have options. Sometimes I like to leave the house without my phone but I always have a keychain (until I get the retinal scanner at my front door).
- Another revenue stream for Tesla. Sell replacement fobs for ~$150, when the actual cost is probably around $10. People lose their keys all the time. People want extra keys for other family members or as a backup. When I bought the Murano, the used car dealer only had one key. I went and purchased two more fobs at about $100 each.

I have a strong feeling that most who want the fob have not used the phone key. If you all make me have to carry around something extra i will be very disappointed. the phone as a key is the best thing ever when you get used to it. I have walk up unlock turned off so when i touch the door handle it unlocks and presents the mirrors. When I walk away the car locks. What could possibly be the desire to carry around a fob?

Phone as the key is a disaster. It stopped working reliably after the first day. Now it operates less than 50% of the time to unlock the car. iPhone indicates that the key is disconnected when it is not functioning. Still waiting for a resolution to this problem from Tesla.

Key fob on the Model S always works. Never has to be taken out of my pocket. Approach the car and the door handles present themselves. Leave the car, the Model S locks by itself.

My 2005 Prius had a similar type key fob (except that it was necessary to press a START button inside the car to turn it on, whereas the Model S turns ON when you sit in the seat and press the brake pedal).

Almost never have to remove either fob from my pocket to unlock/lock the car. With respect to the 2005 Prius key fob had its battery replaced for the first time in 2017, do it lasted for 12 years.

Wish a key fob was an option for the Model 3. Would make life so much easier.