Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Key Fob yes/no?

Key Fob or no thank you?

• Yes - Key Fob me!

Votes: 219 59.3%
  • No Fob for me, thank you.

Votes: 150 40.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is my understanding too. In my opinion, this is the biggest fail on the part of Tesla - bigger than ride quality, Al Cantara, size of rear view mirror, etc. Tesla better get this fixed and fast. Toyota has had the SKS fob system for years. Small fob never leaves your pocket, purse, or hanging as a nose ring. Touch the door handle when leaving and it locks. Touch the door handle as you walk up and it unlocks (trunk too).
Ironically so has Tesla, but you don't have to touch the handle.

Interesting, the trend here. Originally the vote was leaning towards no fob; now towards wanting the fob. Are we simply getting more accurate a survey, or has the tide shifted as real experiences with the Model 3's system get voiced?

I actually waited until I had the car a couple weeks before voting, to see what I felt about the phone in real life. I just voted no fob, because the phone seems to work exactly the same as my old S fob and I don't need to carry something separate. Other people are having problems, though.

Reactions: insaneoctane
it seems that your personal phone choice is the biggest issue that having a single fob would fix.
Obviously it was a cost saving, but the number of support issues and customer complaints may well limit the effectiveness of those savings.

Reactions: N5329K
Sometimes I wonder whether they have always planned to add a fob as an extra, but they have to go through this intermediate period so when they do people's reaction is "woo hoo, they are now offering a fob" instead of "what, they actually charge extra for a fob?":)

I don't really think that's the case, but I do wonder sometimes. I wouldn't mind, since I wouldn't bother to buy the fob anyway.

I waited to vote until today. My wife is the primary driver of the 3. In the 19 days that we have had the car, she has probably left the house 10 times total. Tesla is batting .600 when it comes to her phone unlocking the car without incident. So, I voted for having a fob that she can keep in her purse.

In fact her experiences are quite similar to MattCrowley's story that he related above. It frustrates her more than it pisses her off (although she has never cottoned much to technology. Her fingers are not nimble enough to perform a lot of the tasks that the newest technology requires.)

Personally, it is too much of a crap shoot to see if the phone connects to the car automatically without having to fumble around and try to figure out why there is no connection.

I will hazard a guess that there could be a near-100% reliable means to access our car without having to perform a root canal on the Bluetooth, but Tesla had its reasons to develop this technique.

I hope that Tesla takes our plaints seriously and develops a more reliable and secure means to lock and unlock our cars.

If you don't know why, you would not understand.
Exactly, and if you don't know why someone would not want to carry a smartphone in retirement, you don't understand either. If you want to carry a smartphone, fine with me. And if I don't want to carry a smartphone and prefer a fob, that should be fine with you too. What we don't need is class warfare on this issue. Why dis seniors?

Last edited: