Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M3 Long Range, AWD, Deep Blue Metallic Paint. No other options.

Good morning. I received a VIN today. Order Date, February 5. Delivery, May 7 to 11 in Chicago!

The main reason I am writing is because I have had a few conversations with Tesla reps over that last month concerning all of the details that we all seem to worry about. The customer service in every case has been exceptional. I call the 800 # and they either answer or call me back in a few minutes and have without fail been transparent and anxious to answer all of my questions.

This is my second Tesla. The first one I picked up in December of 2020 and I have to say the communication on that car was adequate but the level of customer service seems to just keep getting better. I hope you all have the same experience.
I’m on my 3rd model 3. The communication with this car has been excellent.

Hey All - New Member

I've received conflicting responses from Tesla SA's and seems people in here are more knowledgeable - if I were to edit the design of an existing order from the aero wheels to the 19"s, would I be sent to the bottom of the queue for that build configuration (as if I were placing a new order today), or would I be placed in the queue re-ordered based on my original OD? Most current EDD puts me in a spot where I won't have a car for a while and willing to pay to expedite but I'm not sure changing the wheels will do it.

M3LR, White, Black, Aero, no FSD.
OD 3/17 - EDD May
EDD #2 - July 12 - August 26
EDD #3 - June 7 - July 19
EDD #4 - August 2 - September 13

Im in the Bay Area and about 15 min from Fremont Factory. A day ago my EDD changed to April 28 - May 9 and still no vin. I dont know I might get it later today or later tomorrow wee will see. The EDD before the current one was May 12 - June 9. So it really moved up dont know why but im guessing I live so close to Fremont and also chose to pick it up from there.
No VIN yet for me too. Hopefully we'll both get our VINs today!

I’m not convinced that configuration plays a part in EDD. It seems the one thing most folks getting VIN right now have in common is they ordered in early to mid February, or earlier. Am I missing something here?

I don't see why configuration doesn't play a part in it. It is a fluid supply chain. Production issues, supply chain, and logistics all play a part in the EDD. Configuration isn't the only thing, there are probably quite a bit of variables that play into getting car delivered. What I do know is, we are all guessing.

I’m not convinced that configuration plays a part in EDD. It seems the one thing most folks getting VIN right now have in common is they ordered in early to mid February, or earlier. Am I missing something here?
The way it was presented to me by the SA is that each configuration has their own unique queue of buyers placing orders, the builds that have the fewest upgrades are the most common and therefor have the longest lines and those with more expensive options have shorter lines. So I was told if I want my car quicker then I should change the design to a more expensive configuration (clever upselling technique). However, am I better off in the middle of the long line, or the end of the shorter one? No one could answer that.

The way it was presented to me by the SA is that each configuration has their own unique queue of buyers placing orders, the builds that have the fewest upgrades are the most common and therefor have the longest lines and those with more expensive options have shorter lines. So I was told if I want my car quicker then I should change the design to a more expensive configuration (clever upselling technique). However, am I better off in the middle of the long line, or the end of the shorter one? No one could answer that.

That makes sense and it's probably why it confuses people on, "well this guy has the same order date as me and same config, why is his VIN sooner?"

Who knows how the manufacturing process is. Do they run through XX number in a batch of configs then switch to the next one? What does a batch consist of? Is each batch dependent on every feature or only some? Is paint done in batches by colors regardless of the rest of the configuration? Or is paint done by configuration. Not looking for answers here, just stating the facts that you might have the exact same configuration, color, order date, and even location but something in the production process if giving you a later EDD. You might have missed a cutoff for a production batch or you could have even missed a batch where the logistics come into play. You still need to have trucks available to deliver the vehicles, you need humans (maybe) to process the orders, coordinate the logistics, and you need the delivery center to have enough staffing to hand you off the vehicle itself. Not to mention, someone could simply call in sick.

tldr;logistics and production are complicated

No one knows for sure except Tesla, but configuration seems to play a role, order date is important for sure, but delivery logistics may have a bigger impact in the end. There’s many many factors in play to maximize production and transport efficiencies and minimize costs.

Say if they have a truck headed to Wisconsin or something and have space for 2 more cars, they might move up delivery of a couple cars slated for that area to maximize transport efficiency, even if those two cars had a much later order date than the rest of them on the same truck.

Otherwise they probably have many internal queues for production priority based on each configuration. Then they will pull from each list for production, not necessarily finish one list before the lower ones because then lower ones would then never be built. For example in a days worth of production they might make (random numbers used for example) 20% Performance, 50% LR with color options, 20% LR with base paint, 10% RWD. Or in a week they might do all Performance one day, LR with options most other days, LR with no options one day, RWD one day etc.

Would we be better off if we didn't have any EDD updates until the car was on a truck? (Conventional dealer)

Or have fluid, changing EDD updates that we overanalyze\over scrutinize?

I understand people have personal circumstances that might frustrate them, but try not to worry about things other that are out of your control. The beginning of EDD after all, is Estimated.

Well what's frustrating is that Tesla doesn't know either. 1 rep said to me, if I edit the current build to upgrade from the aero wheels to the 19s I will for sure get the car sooner, another said if I make any changes I will go to the end of the line and unsure how that will impact delivery, and a 3rd said I'm definitely better off not making any changes... so... COOL

Well what's frustrating is that Tesla doesn't know either. 1 rep said to me, if I edit the current build to upgrade from the aero wheels to the 19s I will for sure get the car sooner, another said if I make any changes I will go to the end of the line and unsure how that will impact delivery, and a 3rd said I'm definitely better off not making any changes... so... COOL
It's a gamble. You might be 200th in line for 18's, but the line for 19's is only 150, so going to the back of a shorter line might bump you up. On the other hand, if 90% of their orders are for 18's (and there are no supply issues), the 19's line may go 1/9th as fast.

M3 Long Range, AWD, Deep Blue Metallic Paint. No other options.

Good morning. I received a VIN today. Order Date, February 5. Delivery, May 7 to 11 in Chicago!

The main reason I am writing is because I have had a few conversations with Tesla reps over that last month concerning all of the details that we all seem to worry about. The customer service in every case has been exceptional. I call the 800 # and they either answer or call me back in a few minutes and have without fail been transparent and anxious to answer all of my questions.

This is my second Tesla. The first one I picked up in December of 2020 and I have to say the communication on that car was adequate but the level of customer service seems to just keep getting better. I hope you all have the same experience.
What dealership are you taking delivery from? West Grand Ave? Lisle? Let me know of your experience!

Reactions: EVRocks