Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back on topic.

Now that Tesla has changed over to 2023 models. It looks like M3 Performance are shipping daily, M3 Base are the second half of October at earliest, what about M3 LR.

Could everyone here that is waiting on a LR check in with your current EDD, config, and delivery center:

10/31 - 12/5, M3 LR White/Black/Aero/AP, Tampa, FL
My date just moved out:

Estimated Delivery: November 07 - December 05

Reactions: Cho22
New dates this morning!
Estimated Delivery: October 27 - November 24
I will be out of the country until mid-November and was already on hold once and
was told by Tesla I must accept the VIN. Anyone had this situation.
I saw someone had their car home delivered while they were in Hawaii. Is this still an option?
Hey! I was in the very same situation as you and had to put the vehicle on hold as I was on travels. Did not want anyone else to take delivery on my behalf so hold was the only option.

What has me concerned most now is that Tesla has advised that if I reject my next VIN for whatever reason then my order automatically is cancelled. This is not cool as I will need to accept delivery regardless of whatever (hopefully none or minor) defects might be present or face the threat of my order getting canceled. Tesla treats a vehicle on hold status as someone who has rejected a VIN and you cannot reject a VIN more then once even though you could not take delivery first time around due to travels.

Hey! I was in the very same situation as you and had to put the vehicle on hold as I was on travels. Did not want anyone else to take delivery on my behalf so hold was the only option.

What has me concerned most now is that Tesla has advised that if I reject my next VIN for whatever reason then my order automatically is cancelled. This is not cool as I will need to accept delivery regardless of whatever (hopefully none or minor) defects might be present or face the threat of my order getting canceled. Tesla treats a vehicle on hold status as someone who has rejected a VIN and you cannot reject a VIN more then once even though you could not take delivery first time around due to travels.
When you put the order on hold did you already have a VIN?

When you put the order on hold did you already have a VIN?
Yes, you cannot put a order on hold that does not have a VIN assigned.

In my case, the VIN was assigned a few days before my scheduled travels with delivery set the day I was leaving. Tesla agreed to put a hold for 4 weeks, but shortly afterwards they reduced the hold down to 2 weeks and did say I could not extend it any further as this would cancel the order. I was told to expect a new VIN very quickly shortly after the hold is lifted. This had me scrambling as I was still away and needed to either cut my trip short and get home or convince myself that someone else picks up the car on my behalf. I did get home sooner, lifted the hold with anticipation that a new VIN would be assigned within days - my EDD now is Nov - Dec!

• Informative
Reactions: JB47394
This is the result of Tesla not using dealerships; either you work with their scheduling or you don't get a car. Stories like yours have been rare here, so I think it's pretty clear that dumping dealerships hasn't been much of a hassle for buyers.

That said, I wonder if there's a business opportunity there for a middle man. What would you pay to have someone do a remote video inspection with you, you then pay remotely, then the middle man does the paperwork on your behalf, drives off and stores the car somewhere for later pickup, transfer of keys, paperwork and so forth.

This is the result of Tesla not using dealerships; either you work with their scheduling or you don't get a car. Stories like yours have been rare here, so I think it's pretty clear that dumping dealerships hasn't been much of a hassle for buyers.

That said, I wonder if there's a business opportunity there for a middle man. What would you pay to have someone do a remote video inspection with you, you then pay remotely, then the middle man does the paperwork on your behalf, drives off and stores the car somewhere for later pickup, transfer of keys, paperwork and so forth.
In my case, if there was a middle man who could do a thorough inspection, maybe even more thorough than I possibly ever could, then I would definitely pay for that service. I know none of my friends would have the patience or the keen eye to check the vehicle with the attention that it warrants, hence my wish to be there for delivery.

What has annoyed me most about Tesla during this process, is that they promised a rapid VIN as soon as the hold were to be lifted. I understand the rationale from Tesla to move cars along to their designated owners without delays, but I was misled during this process. I needed to be overseas on urgent travels and the trip duration was set based on the originally set hold period of 4 weeks. They then changed it to 2 weeks with no explanation and then threatened to cancel the order if I did not lift the hold. I had to cut the trip short, scramble home to then lift the hold with the understanding of taking delivery shortly afterwards. Tesla has now pushed the EDD to Nov - Dec.

Last edited:
Reactions: UtahRider

In my case, the VIN was assigned a few days before my scheduled travels with delivery set the day I was leaving. Tesla agreed to put a hold for 4 weeks, but shortly afterwards they reduced the hold down to 2 weeks and did say I could not extend it any further as this would cancel the order. I was told to expect a new VIN very quickly shortly after the hold is lifted. This had me scrambling as I was still away and needed to either cut my trip short and get home or convince myself that someone else picks up the car on my behalf. I did get home sooner, lifted the hold with anticipation that a new VIN would be assigned within days - my EDD now is Nov - Dec!
Interesting. They must have changed the rules for hold. I placed my original order on March 16 and had it put on hold April 28 well before I got a vin. They said I was allowed to put a hold for up to 90 days from my original order date. My hold came off June 14 and I got a vin soon thereafter and picked up car on June 28.
NOTE: I had this done at my local mall showroom location when I went in for a test drive. I asked about putting on a hold and the SA did it for me.

Reactions: ZZ118
Interesting. They must have changed the rules for hold. I placed my original order on March 16 and had it put on hold April 28 well before I got a vin. They said I was allowed to put a hold for up to 90 days from my original order date. My hold came off June 14 and I got a vin soon thereafter and picked up car on June 28.
NOTE: I had this done at my local mall showroom location when I went in for a test drive. I asked about putting on a hold and the SA did it for me.
This is the way I knew as well. However now that Tesla is trying to clean the LR books by December I have heard what OP said being the new policy.

In my case, if there was a middle man who could do a thorough inspection, maybe even more thorough than I possibly ever could, then I would definitely pay for that service. I know none of my friends would have the patience or the keen eye to check the vehicle with the attention that it warrants, hence my wish to be there for delivery.

What has annoyed me most about Tesla during this process, is that they promised a rapid VIN as soon as the hold were to be lifted. I understand the rationale from Tesla to move cars along to their designated owners without delays, but I was misled during this process. I needed to be overseas on urgent travels and the trip duration was set based on the originally set hold period of 4 weeks. They then changed it to 2 weeks with no explanation and then threatened to cancel the order if I did not lift the hold. I had to cut the trip short, scramble home to then lift the hold with the understanding of taking delivery shortly afterwards. Tesla has now pushed the EDD to Nov - Dec.
Unfortunately you rejected a VIN. and you only get to reject once no questions asked. Tesla has to do this because then they're would be people who keep rejecting for little things ( like no matrix lights) over and over.

I'm sure if the car is really damaged you can have a case for a second reject.

Dealers work the same way. They will not hold a car forever for you. They will either sell it to someone in line or cancel your order as well.
Not trying to blame anyone but I still don't get why people continue to think they can just go away for 4 weeks and that's tesla's issue to deal with

Unfortunately you rejected a VIN. and you only get to reject once no questions asked. Tesla has to do this because then they're would be people who keep rejecting for little things ( like no matrix lights) over and over.

I'm sure if the car is really damaged you can have a case for a second reject.

Dealers work the same way. They will not hold a car forever for you. They will either sell it to someone in line or cancel your order as well.
Not trying to blame anyone but I still don't get why people continue to think they can just go away for 4 weeks and that's tesla's issue to deal with
They agreed to set the hold for 4 weeks. My online account confirmed the dates and the SMS from Tesla also verified this. I went overseas. The real issue here is that they then reduced the hold to 2 weeks and told me to be ready for a new VIN very shortly afterwards. They would not explain why they reduced the hold to 2 weeks when it was originally set at 4. I acknowledge it is not reasonable for any automaker to hold the vehicle indefinitely but that is not what happened in my case. And, now the VIN is pushed out even more, despite Tesla assuring me I would get a new VIN within days of lifting the hold.

Reactions: UtahRider

I did not have a VIN assigned when I requested a hold. Initially they told me the hold was until Nov, the they said Oct, then they said I must come off hold by Sept 18. I ordered the car when it said Dec was the estimated delivery. As I knew I would be traveling. The Sales people tell me they have no control of VIN dates or delivery.

I did not have a VIN assigned when I requested a hold. Initially they told me the hold was until Nov, the they said Oct, then they said I must come off hold by Sept 18. I ordered the car when it said Dec was the estimated delivery. As I knew I would be traveling. The Sales people tell me they have no control of VIN dates or delivery.
Ok I understand better. It sounds like you did get a rough time. The EDD is just an estimate so things can move in either direction.

Hope it all works out

Just an FYI, a TON of 2023 M3 LR’s have just been added to Tesla’s inventory.

Edit: looking at these some more, I believe they’re currently in production but listed on the site.

Last edited:
Just an FYI, a TON of 2023 M3 LR’s have just been added to Tesla’s inventory.
It looks like they're all Long Range. Certainly the Tesla site tells me that all the ones near me are Long Range. Looking around a bit, it seems that there are a mix of most options except for the white interior. I only saw two among perhaps 40 vehicles.

At a guess, Tesla doesn't have enough existing orders for the Long Range to support full time production through Q4. They want to keep production going through Q4, but they don't want to reopen orders because they could get a very large number of orders - and they only want to sell as much as they'll produce in Q4. So they just say that their planned production is "in stock" and make them available for purchase. If true, it's a pretty clever way to ensure that they only produce vehicles for as long as they want to.

I can already see the tweets asking Elon to make certain builds available in the "inventory".

I wonder if this is a sign of the future, where instead of configuring and ordering, you just look through their "inventory" and pick one. If the "inventory" is actually bottomless and all you're really doing is picking a spot in the production queue, then you might order the last February 2023 Long Range with your configuration only to see the web site still offering your configuration, but not available until March 2023. If they don't want to keep production going, then the "inventory" just vanishes. Again, a clever way to avoid building up too much of a backlog.

There is an extra agreement on these cars. It is clear they will be doing something substantial in 2023 to meet requirements of the tax credits:

Vehicle Availability​

This vehicle is part of a limited supply expected to be built and available for delivery this November or December. By placing this order, you are agreeing to take delivery before the end of 2022 calendar year. If Tesla is not able to build a vehicle for your order in 2022, you may be eligible for a refund.