Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VIN and delivery date assigned on Saturday afternoon! (It wasn't there this morning when I did my ritual daily wake-up check... or when I did my ritual morning coffee check... or when I did my ritual lunchtime check.....).

Config: M3LR,MSM/White,18”Aero,No FSD
Order Date: 11/5
Original EDD: December 2021
EDD on 11/8: April 14-May 5
EDD on 11/14: December 8-December 31
EDD on 11/23: December 13-27
EDD on 11/27: January 14-February 11
EDD on 12/1: December 19-31
EDD on 12/5: January 14-February 11
EDD on 1/6: January 20-February 3
VIN assigned on 1/15
EDD on 1/15: January 25

I'm in Texas, so I'm eligible for Tesla Insurance. Has anyone in Texas priced that out?
Yes, I was quoted $116 per month for basic coverage through Tesla. Comparable coverage to what I have now was $124. I stuck with my current insurance company because they quoted me $85 per month.

Longest was over 2 minutes.... Had to restart computer. I'd say on average this happens once every two weeks when the back up camera refused to show me anything, the average wait time when that happens, I'd say around 15-30 seconds. YMMV, just my personal experience with ONE data point.

Note that you can still drive the car, reverse by looking back through the rear window., just like the good old days. I'm spoiled.........
It might make sense to restart the computer at regular intervals (maybe weekly) and see if that helps. In my case I do not want to delay delivery further even if my current VIN does not have the Ryzen but I totally understand if you are not comfortable and want to delay

Reactions: Paul4343 and hlin07
Regarding waiting for backup camera with the Intel Atom chip how serious long is the wait really? Like 10 seconds or more? If it is below 10 seconds it should be fine I think.
I dont recall a wait on my 20 SR+ that was enough to bother me. (Like a second at most) It would freeze/stutter slightly at times but not so bad That it was an issue. Maps seemed more dependent on wireless connection, again not bad. Now the web browser and netflix menus were bad but I personally never really used either enough that it mattered.

Like i said before unless you compare them side by side or went from one to the other you
probably wouldnt notice it as much

The screen blackout i had happen maybe 5 times in 2 years and that was usually after an update without doing a reboot

Longest was over 2 minutes.... Had to restart computer. I'd say on average this happens once every two weeks when the back up camera refused to show me anything, the average wait time when that happens, I'd say around 15-30 seconds. YMMV, just my personal experience with ONE data point.

Note that you can still drive the car, reverse by looking back through the rear window., just like the good old days. I'm spoiled.........
I’ve never had to wait 30 seconds for a backup camera to come on. I don’t believe this is a widespread problem or else it would be a known issue and major complaint on Teslas.

Almost everyone here test drove and/or ordered their Tesla before the new chip was even announced. I wonder how many of you, if any, felt the performance of the screen was subpar or buggy when you ordered. On the contrary, most of you were wowed by the screen and it’s functionality was likely a major factor in you making an order.

If i had your experience I would probably also be more inclined to await for the Ryzen. I never had any real complaints with my intel.

I’ve never had to wait 30 seconds for a backup camera to come on. I don’t believe this is a widespread problem or else it would be a known issue and major complaint on Teslas.

Almost everyone here test drove and/or ordered their Tesla before the new chip was even announced. I wonder how many of you, if any, felt the performance of the screen was subpar or buggy when you ordered. On the contrary, most of you were wowed by the screen and it’s functionality was likely a major factor in you making an order.
I don't think the people complaining have Tesla's or they might be coming from older models. Because my Model Y is fine. So what Netflix takes a few seconds to open. Everything else is damn near instant.

I'm so amazed at the "Ryzen" want...like yes I would prefer the Ryzen but that's not the big thing to me. The new 12v battery is SO much more important to me...the current battery lasts 2 years. The small speed difference (where it matters) means nothing to me but not having to replace a battery is huge (one less thing to worry about dieing and stranding you).

Blue/White/18/Philadelphia
OD - 10/15
EDD - Dec...Jan...Feb...Mar :(

I'm so amazed at the "Ryzen" want...like yes I would prefer the Ryzen but that's not the big thing to me. The new 12v battery is SO much more important to me...the current battery lasts 2 years. The small speed difference (where it matters) means nothing to me but not having to replace a battery is huge (one less thing to worry about dieing and stranding you).

OD - 10/15
I've been thinking about the new battery and my only concern is, the outgoing battery is a Group 51R...which you can literally walk into any auto store and pickup. if this proprietary battery goes, you are at the mercy of when Tesla can get to you. And I'm almost certain it won't cost $85 to replace post warranty period. While the new battery has a BMS (I don't fully understand how it works), it does not have active heating or cooling circuity/piping.

OD - 10/15
Excellent point, if I had to choose between the two, I'd take the Li-Ion battery over occasional inconvenience.

I've been thinking about the new battery and my only concern is, the outgoing battery is a Group 51R...which you can literally walk into any auto store and pickup. if this proprietary battery goes, you are at the mercy of when Tesla can get to you. And I'm almost certain it won't cost $85 to replace post warranty period. While the new battery has a BMS (I don't fully understand how it works), it does not have active heating or cooling circuity/piping.
The battery will most certainly not be easy to obtain (for a while) and it will cost $400 to $500. However...LIO 12v will last for a decade if not longer. (For the majority of people it will last longer than the car itself).

Yes, I think the Li-Ion battery sells for about $440, so it is indeed more expensive. As a preventive measure (for the existing battery), you can always measure the 12V battery voltage level (at regular intervals) with a multi-meter and replace it if you see that the voltage level went down significantly. Also, doesn't the computer alert you beforehand if the voltage level of the 12V battery drops and needs replacement?

I ordered Dec 8th Picking up in Bellevue. Official edd is and has been Jan 17th to Feb 14th. Called Bellevue and they couldn't tell me anything except the procedure for rejecting delivery as I won't take delivery if a car that doesn't have the updated Ryzen. This is just a toy so I can keep waiting.

I'm picking up in Bellevue instead of Lynnwood just based on principle. They (Snohomish county} recently added a non voter approved sales tax increase that doesn't come into effect until April but f'em. Going to Bellevue and then emailing the jerks that voted for it and letting them know I just gave away $5200 to another county because of what they voted for. I'll also save about $220 in tax because Bellevue tax is cheaper than Lynnwood.
I recently asked 2 different reps at Lynnwood if I could change my delivery from Lynnwood to Bellevue to save 0.5% sales tax, or about $260. Lynnwood is about 100 miles from my home, and Bellevue is about 116 miles. I was told that my only alternative is Renton, and that Bellevue isn't an option for me. Renton is only about 0.3% lower tax, and is further and not worth the hassle to me. So I get to pay 10.8% tax applicable in Lynnwood. Sure hope the deal takes place before the April tax increase you mentioned. Current EDD is still Jan 26-Feb23.

Give us the deets if you call and find out if you have the upgrades or not. 158s are definitely a possibility to have them (still no hard switch though)
From watching this thread and a couple of other threads on this forum, along with just unmatching a VIN yesterday myself, I am becoming less convinced any of the 3's coming off the line have the Ryzen's. Has there been any actual evidence in the last few weeks, outside of some random entry in a spreadsheet? I've seen plenty of proof screenshots from the Y owners, but I have not seen any similar screenshots from any of the 3 owners. Has anyone here actually posted a shot from a 3? If not, I'm not entirely certain the 3 has switched over yet from a production standpoint.

From watching this thread and a couple of other threads on this forum, along with just unmatching a VIN yesterday myself, I am becoming less convinced any of the 3's coming off the line have the Ryzen's. Has there been any actual evidence in the last few weeks, outside of some random entry in a spreadsheet? I've seen plenty of proof screenshots from the Y owners, but I have not seen any similar screenshots from any of the 3 owners. Has anyone here actually posted a shot from a 3? If not, I'm not entirely certain the 3 has switched over yet from a production standpoint.
Received a text message (after my inquiry about the Ryzen processor) that Model 3 production has not been switched to the new processor, yet. So the reported ones here on the forum might be outliers.

Reactions: highstrunghero
Received a text message (after my inquiry about the Ryzen processor) that Model 3 production has not been switched to the new processor, yet. So the reported ones here on the forum might be outliers.

Another person on reddit said 2 different advisors told them the new Ryzens were only being installed in Model Y's and they were installing the rest of the Intels in the Model 3. Which honestly makes sense. I'm sure they have a ton of intel that would just go to waste.

Order Date: 10/19/21
EDD 1: 15th Nov 21 to 15th Dec 21
EDD 2: 1st Dec 21 to 31st Dec 21
EDD 3: 15th Dec 21 to 31st Dec 21
EDD 4: 24 Dec 21 to 31st Dec 21
EDD 5: 26th Dec 21 to 31st Dec 21

24th Dec 21 - VIN Received
24th Dec 21 - Put on hold till 1/2/22

31st Dec 21 - Hold automatically removed, VIN unmatched.
1st Jan 22 - EDD: TBD
EDD 6: (Updated 1/4/22) 8th Jan 22 to 22nd Jan 22
EDD 7: (Updated 1/9/22) 15th Jan 22 to 12th Feb 22
EDD 8: (Updated 1/14/22) 17th Jan 22 to 27th Jan 22
1/15 - VIN Received.
EDD 9: (Updated 1/15/22) 19th Jan 22 to 22nd Jan 22
USA, Nor Cal, Bay Area
Config: M3LR/MSM/Black/Aero 18"/No FSD

Just Scheduled Delivery.
Delivery Date: 1/18/22 - 8AM to 12 Noon