Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question regarding financing. Do we start financing paperwork after the VIN is assigned? Is there any lender that pre-approves the loan for the Tesla, even though the delivery date is not assigned? I apologize if this forum is not relevant for this question.

I wouldn't do any financing paperwork until you have a VIN. Just make sure your credit is all teed up where you need to be. I went with DCU and from start to finish, had a check in 2 days and wasn't a customer before I started.
No no no! I ordered 8/30 and still waiting because I didn't complete my financial tasks before 11/29. I am convinced you'll get a car when the demand gets lower than the number of cars produced, in 2060.... Do not wait if you wanna actually get in line.

No no no! I ordered 8/30 and still waiting because I didn't complete my financial tasks before 11/29. I am convinced you'll get a car when the demand gets lower than the number of cars produced, in 2060.... Do not wait if you wanna actually get in line.
I think one should wait for a VIN then start the loan application. For example, DCU requires a VIN to finish the loan. Plus this way you don't need to worry about the initial approval getting expired and having to pull the credit twice in the event of order delay.

On Tesla side just choose "Cash" to get in line and switch to finance after the VIN.

Reactions: wdtn
OD: 11/3
First EDD: End of December 2021
Delivery #1: 12/6 emailed to schedule 12/14 to 12/17 delivery.
Put on hold due to being out of town for holidays.
12/30 took off hold
EDD: 1/13 - 2/10
EDD: 1/19 - 2/2
EDD: 1/30 - 2/27
EDD: 1/31 - 2/14
1/18: VIN assigned
EDD: 1/31-2/4

White/Black seats/Aero wheels. No FSD

SA said it has AMD and new battery
Congrats on the new chip!

What’s your vin?

You wanna tell that to the old model s/x owners that had the old MCU? If they want to upgrade, it'll cost them 2k.
You do realize that the CPU and GPU set used in The current models s and x are 10x more powerful than the AMD chips soon to. E used in the X and Y. While there is a slight performance improvement over the intel chip, this is still a 5 year old legacy chip. “I’m glad I got this 10 year old chip over the other 10 year old chip” will not be words said of Tesla owners in 2027. There is going to be a much faster, newer, modern chip that will replace BOTH this RYZEN and ATOM chip.

Perhaps you are confused because you were misled by erroneous reporting on early speculation such as this article from a popular Tesla reporter:

“If the reports are accurate, Tesla uses the same CPU found in the latest Tesla Model S and Model X: a custom Ryzen YE180FC3T4MFG. The chip features a quad-core 12nm 3.8 GHz Zen+ CPU with 4MB of L3 cache.”

Nope. The “reports” we’re not accurate. This AMD Ryzen chip is not the same one. It would have been awesome and well worth waiting another 6 months if it was, but it’s a lateral chip replacement with a faster Netflix launch time and higher battery drain (less range)

• Disagree
Reactions: lonnielevi
You do realize that the CPU and GPU set used in The current models s and x are 10x more powerful than the AMD chips soon to. E used in the X and Y. While there is a slight performance improvement over the intel chip, this is still a 5 year old legacy chip. “I’m glad I got this 10 year old chip over the other 10 year old chip” will not be words said of Tesla owners in 2027. There is going to be a much faster, newer, modern chip that will replace BOTH this RYZEN and ATOM chip.

Perhaps you are confused because you were misled by erroneous reporting on early speculation such as this article from a popular Tesla reporter:

“If the reports are accurate, Tesla uses the same CPU found in the latest Tesla Model S and Model X: a custom Ryzen YE180FC3T4MFG. The chip features a quad-core 12nm 3.8 GHz Zen+ CPU with 4MB of L3 cache.”

Nope. The “reports” we’re not accurate. This AMD Ryzen chip is not the same one. It would have been awesome and well worth waiting another 6 months if it was, but it’s a lateral chip replacement with a faster Netflix launch time and higher battery drain (less range)
Have you seen the video of the guy navigating around the UI? The Ryzen CPU is crazy fast. And I'm not just talking infotainment, but sentry loads and navigates INSTANTLY. The map looks awesome and is super snappy.

Linked the youtube video below, but if the link is removed (sorry mods!) as not allowed, search "2022 Tesla Model 3 with AMD Ryzen MCU 3 on 400 Mbps Wi-Fi"

Reactions: hlin07 and Paul4343

10 year old chip? no... the Intel in the current M3/Y is about 5 years old. The AMD Ryzen APU is current gen, at least as of 2020.
AMD didn't even introduce Ryzen to the market until 2017, and their embedded APUs even later, so it has to be fairly current.

Do you have a link to somebody who's determined what is in the new Y/3 Ryzen based MCU?

I think one should wait for a VIN then start the loan application. For example, DCU requires a VIN to finish the loan. Plus this way you don't need to worry about the initial approval getting expired and having to pull the credit twice in the event of order delay.

On Tesla side just choose "Cash" to get in line and switch to finance after the VIN.
you don’t even have to do that. My SA told me not to worry about choosing cash and then switching it, I was assigned a vin without filling out any financial info.

But also, now that my hold is off I’m putting cash lmao because I’m trying to do anything that may push that EDD up haha.

10 year old chip? no... the Intel in the current M3/Y is about 5 years old. The AMD Ryzen APU is current gen, at least as of 2020.
AMD didn't even introduce Ryzen to the market until 2017, and their embedded APUs even later, so it has to be fairly current.

Do you have a link to somebody who's determined what is in the new Y/3 Ryzen based MCU?
Yes. I said it’s a 5 year old chip today. And then I said in 2027 (5 years from now) the idea that any 10 year old chip is going to function that much better or be “future proof” than any other 10 year old chip in a modern era is kinda silly.

Yes. I have the “new” AMD chip going into the M3/Y today is the 1st gen 2017 model you mentioned

he is on a 300 mbps wifi connection….
Sure, which will help the infotainment and I guess the map? So that's a fair point. But the sentry footage navigation...that was fan-freakin-tastic. One of my biggest annoyances was how long it took to open and navigate sentry footage. It became a huge issue when I would leave a place with a bunch of alerts and just wanted to double check them.

Yes. I said it’s a 5 year old chip today. And then I said in 2027 (5 years from now) the idea that any 10 year old chip is going to function that much better or be “future proof” than any other 10 year old chip in a modern era is kinda silly.

Yes. I have the “new” AMD chip going into the M3/Y today is the 1st gen 2017 model you mentioned
It seems there are teardowns and parts lists that confirm the MCU-Z from the refresh s/x are the same as the 3/Y.
In 5 years will my Playstation 5 be way better than my Playstation 3? Yes, yes it will. But more importantly, its better now.
If you were told you could have a car with a PS3 or a PS5 in it, for the same price, right now, which would you choose?

It seems there are teardowns and parts lists that confirm the MCU-Z from the refresh s/x are the same as the 3/Y.
In 5 years will my Playstation 5 be way better than my Playstation 3? Yes, yes it will. But more importantly, its better now.
If you were told you could have a car with a PS3 or a PS5 in it, for the same price, right now, which would you choose?

I’ve seen that the CPU is not the same as the S and X AND even bigger issue is that neither the 3 nor the Y has the GPU which is what really brings the power to the screen.

Of course anyone would prefer a PS5 over an earlier generation for the same price. But the analogy is poor. It’s more like you get a free PS3 with your Tesla today but if wait an extra 3 months they’ll give you a PS3 slim instead. Yeah, the pS3 slim is a little newer and faster but it’s no PS5

Yes, that's right, just don't leave it blank.

Sure, which will help the infotainment and I guess the map? So that's a fair point. But the sentry footage navigation...that was fan-freakin-tastic. One of my biggest annoyances was how long it took to open and navigate sentry footage. It became a huge issue when I would leave a place with a bunch of alerts and just wanted to double check them.
I can’t comment on sentry mode because I don’t have that much experience with it, and only a feature I intend to use very rarely because it consumes a ton of juice.

Thers a thousand YouTube videos on the model 3 and y infotainment screens from 2020 and 2021 including the maps and UI and the only complaint is that Netflix is slow to browse but once you start playing the video it’s amazing. If you plan on browsing Netflix in your car frequently that this is a serious issue to take into consideration.

I would just keep in mind that like over a million Tesla vehicles have this Intel Atom chip and Tesla won’t break it anytime soon.