Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you scroll down on the page you’ll see this - “The alternative fuel vehicle refueling property credit expired for refueling property placed in service after 2021. Do not report refueling property placed in service after 2021 on Form 8911 unless the credit is extended.”

Oh, no!

I bought my Wall Charger in December. Still in the box, waiting for the electrician to be available. I wonder where I sit.

Good catch.

Reactions: TesEv
My husband and I had this discussion last night! He said what you said, but I googled and found information that said (perhaps incorrectly!!) that each adapter tells the car the max amps to charge at. So we thought if I bought the 14-50 and used the 30amp dryer outlet, it would just trip the circuit because it would tell the car to charge at 32amps on a 30 amp circuit? So I bought the 14-30 instead. I figured if we wanted to upgrade, I'd prefer to get the wall connector for aesthetics anyway. But now sounds like I'd have been fine with the 14-50, and the car would have drawn whateer the 30 amp circuit allows? Honestly, this stuff is confusing for me. I just want it to look nice, and work. 😂
sorta getting into the weeds a bit here, but in general, you want the adapter for the tesla mobile connector that matches the plug you are plugging into. You do not want to put other adapters in between that and the plug.

So, you wouldnt want to buy a 14-50 adapter for the tesla wall connector, then "do something" to it (get another adapter, etc) to modify it for a 30 amp wall plug.

If the goal is "look nice" the wall connector fits that bill more than the mobile connector does (any wall connector, really, but teslas is just as good as other brands).

Reactions: Doggerton
I also did the wall charger - and actually went with ChargePoint because local utility was giving $500 off plus smart charging rates for compatible chargers (Tesla not being on the list). Hopefully this doesn't turn into a massive pain, but I can always swap wall unit with no real loss because the ChargePoint was soooo discounted...

My ChargePoint Home Flex was just installed the other week as I'm doing the same to get the $500 rebate from my utility. Due to some complexity + cost issues, I had it mounted outdoors at the back of my house instead of inside my detached garage. I also ordered an extra 25' extension cord that goes from the J1772 to a Tesla plug so I can charge the car while it's in the garage when needed.

Glad to see it worked out. I wonder how much you ended up paying for the ChargePoint.

I found myself being offered the same by NV Energy, but it would've been $250 off certain ChargePoint models that were retailing for $800 and shared my consumption data with them, so it didn't make sense to apply for that rebate in my case. Went with the Tesla Wall Charger.

I purchased mine through Amazon for $699 when it was actually in stock (December 2021).

Reactions: ynb86 and daveotero
Maybe I'm missing something, but the IRS Form 8911 has been renewed for 2022 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8911.pdf). Instructions for fiscal year 2022 are here: Instructions for Form 8911 (01/2022) | Internal Revenue Service

What makes you think the 30% tax credit might be gone?
It is gone for the 2022 tax year unless Congress extends it. So right now it is good only for installation done on or before December 31, 2021. Please read the instructions here:

Capture.JPG

My ChargePoint Home Flex was just installed the other week as I'm doing the same to get the $500 rebate from my utility. Due to some complexity + cost issues, I had it mounted outdoors at the back of my house instead of inside my detached garage. I also ordered an extra 25' extension cord that goes from the J1772 to a Tesla plug so I can charge the car while it's in the garage when needed.

I purchased mine through Amazon for $699 when it was actually in stock (December 2021).
Can you share a link to that extension cord? Does it have the tesla button to open/unlock the change port?

Long time lurker. Here's my info to add to the pile:

11/2/21 - Order placed for Model 3 Long Range White/White w/18" Aero wheels, no FSD, IL pickup
11/29/21 - VIN Assigned, 115xxx - Passed until 1/1/22 hoping for BBB, hold released by Tesla 12/27/21
1/12/22 - VIN Assigned, 155xxx - Intel Atom, Passed, no hold placed even though I requested hold until 2/1/22
1/17/22 - VIN Assigned, 154xxx - Intel Atom, Passed, put on hold until 2/1/22, released hold myself via website 1/21/22
1/22/22 - VIN Assigned, 155xxx - Intel Atom, Passed, put on hold until 2/4/22, released hold myself via website 1/23/22, EDD now 4/29-5/27 (EOL)

Pretty sure I went to the back of the line with my last pass as my EDD was never that far out. My SA has been awesome and understands what I want but keeps offering me Intel Atom cars. :) The waiting is painful, but I know it'll be worth it in the end. And I'm pretty sure if I don't take my next offer (after 90 days) they'll probably cancel my order which is completely understandable.

11/2/21 - Order placed for Model 3 Long Range White/White w/18" Aero wheels, no FSD, IL pickup
11/29/21 - VIN Assigned, 115xxx - Passed until 1/1/22 hoping for BBB, hold released by Tesla 12/27/21
1/12/22 - VIN Assigned, 155xxx - Intel Atom, Passed, no hold placed even though I requested hold until 2/1/22
1/17/22 - VIN Assigned, 154xxx - Intel Atom, Passed, put on hold until 2/1/22, released hold myself via website 1/21/22
1/22/22 - VIN Assigned, 155xxx - Intel Atom, Passed, put on hold until 2/4/22, released hold myself via website 1/23/22, EDD now 4/29-5/27 (EOL)

Pretty sure I went to the back of the line with my last pass as my EDD was never that far out. My SA has been awesome and understands what I want but keeps offering me Intel Atom cars. :) The waiting is painful, but I know it'll be worth it in the end. And I'm pretty sure if I don't take my next offer (after 90 days) they'll probably cancel my order which is completely understandable.
You have a very flexible SA, first time I see someone rejecting four VINs. I rejected twice and was told that I will need to take the next no matter if it has the Ryzen processor and Lithium battery or not.

• Funny
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Regarding the 30% federal tax credit for ev charging installation / equipment, I like to go to the internal revenue code instead of the form instructions, as the form instructions don't always align with the current tax law. From I.R.C. Sec 30C:

(g) Termination​

This section shall not apply to any property placed in service after December 31, 2021.

So unless congress passes an extension, there isn't currently anything in effect for the 2022 tax year.

You have a very flexible SA, first time I see someone rejecting four VINs. I rejected twice and was told that I will need to take the next no matter if it has the Ryzen processor and Lithium battery or not.

I got assigned on 1/21 and took delivery - 158xxx - it had the Atom CPU. I kind of disappointed. Also I didn't have double rear window panes. Not sure when all those 2022 updates are going to happen. Oh well. I'm happy with it.

I purchased directly from utility co and I think it cost 250.

Where did you get teh j1772 to Tesla extension? I may need one of those too.

Can you share a link to that extension cord? Does it have the tesla button to open/unlock the change port?

Tucson EV is building me the extension cord (although there are some parts currently stuck on cargo ships outside of the port that they're waiting on);

You'll need to contact them directly as it isn't an off-the-shelf item.

As far as I know it should have the Tesla button on the plug, however, I'm not sure if it will actually work to open/unlock the charge port door (my guess is no).

Reactions: daveotero