Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah they are required (now). Electrical code in use normally lags a few years behind the current date. The code in use now in most places requires a GFCI breaker for that type of outlet for EV charging. I say this not because I am a code expert or anything (I am not) but from reading here of a lot of people who actually are code experts.

Basically, code requires the oulet to be GFCI protected now, but a hard wired device does not have that requirement. Since your install was "before" this code was enforced, you dont have to worry about meeting code for it, unless you change something.
It's also one of the more nonsensical code requirements since the GFCI requirement is dependent on what you plan to plug into the outlet rather than where the outlet is located or the type of plug it is. If I install a nema 6-50 for a welder, no GFCI required. Install otherwise the exact same circuit, but my intention is to use it for an EV? GFCI now required.

Congrats! How’s the checkout experience and any freebies? We are going to get a lot of snow I heard…protect the beauty.
Checkout experience was great. The SA was super nice and let us take as much time as we wanted to inspect the car. Unfortunately no freebies (except the front license plate cover, which looks nice.)

Yeah, will have to get the bra to protect from the snow.

Reactions: Gadoid and TesEv
Hmmmm. Did you express any regrets about the Intel processor? If I see one in my new 3, I am planning to start crying in the hopes that adding Premium Connectivity would make me stop the hysterics. I don't really care about the processor, but I am prepared to make it look like it if I detect a sympathetic ear.
No regrets. I knew when I accepted the VIN that it was going to be Intel. The interface looks nice, so no complains.

Thanks for keeping me company all these weeks, you guys. Just picked up my Blue M3LR at Dedham, MA today, and it's beautiful.

Also, checked the config. It's an Atom processor (not that it bothers me). Also, got one year of free premium connectivity (as opposed to 30 days that most people are getting these days.) Pics are coming soon.

Good luck with your waits, guys. Hang in there.
How did you get the one year free of premium connectivity?

No idea. But mine expires on Jan 24, 2023. I guess I placed my order in October, maybe that's why.

you probably ordered before the cutoff date. 'New 3 and Y ordered AFTER Oct 15 2021 = 30 days premium connectivity. You likely ordered < October 15th which is why you have a year.

(relevant text)

Screen Shot 2022-01-24 at 6.07.32 PM.png

you probably ordered before the cutoff date. 'New 3 and Y ordered AFTER Oct 15 2021 = 30 days premium connectivity. You likely ordered < October 15th which is why you have a year.

(relevant text)

View attachment 759819
Aah, that makes sense. I ordered on Oct 8th. Barely made it in :D

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Interesting. My electrician did not use GFCI breakers when my 14-50s were installed in 2019. Are you sure they're actually required? I'm not too worried about it because my 3rd party EVSE has an internal ground fault interrupt and so does the Tesla.
  1. “All 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A) (1) through (11) and supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to ground shall have ground fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel.”
  2. Before the 2020 change, the 2017 NEC specified GFCI protection only on 15AMP and 20AMP outlets for dwelling units in certain locations of the home.
  3. The new 2020 code has done away with specifying amperage, and has included 30AMP and higher outlets.
There is now added GFCI protection for all outlets regardless of amperage for the following locations (with a few exceptions within this list), as well as any area within 6ft of a sink or water source:
  • Bathrooms
  • Garages
  • Outdoor areas
  • Crawl spaces
  • Basements
  • Kitchens
  • Sinks
  • Boathouses
  • Shower stalls and bathtubs
  • Laundry areas
  • Indoor damp and wet locations

That’s absolutely right. Now you are making me going back and forth again. Haha.
Pretty much a non issue unless you do a ton of driving. You are only charging the battery to 80-90% anyway most of the time. At 32A your adding about 25 miles per hour. So in 8 hours of sleep you will be adding approx 200 miles range. Won't work for everyone but I'd say it works for most.

Reactions: TesEv