Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pay upfront just locks you into the price with hope of getting fsd in future. With subscription you get the flexibility to cancel anytime. I don’t think there is difference in features, they could raise subscription price anytime.
Paying upfront also guarantees free hardware upgrades, if Tesla deems them necessary for FSD. The owners of older Teslas with HW2.0 or HW2.5 computers that want to subscribe to FSD need to pay out of pocket for the HW3.0 computer.

At this point, though, I don't think there will be any more hardware retrofits for FSD past the HW3.0 computer and AP2.5 cameras. Our 2017 Model X that came with the HW2.0 computer, AP2.0 cameras, and MCU1 now has the HW3.0 computer and AP2.5 cameras installed on Tesla's dime, while the MCU2 retrofit was out of pocket for me. I really don't think they would have upgraded the hardware in our Model X to what is currently coming off the line unless they were confident that it can achieve their goal.

They have already stated that HW4.0 is coming, but since 3.0 is supposedly good enough, they won't upgrade hardware this time. We'll see though.

Tesla love teasing the west coast, next one will be my 8th in socal… 1/28-2/9 for me currently
Saturday when it updates again with be my 7th :( The ironic thing? When I ordered in early December, the estimate was "February". I was told by SA, early February was likely. Then Tesla teases us with all these earlier EDDs, and really gets your hopes up. Had they just left my EDD as "February", I think I'd still feel fine, and not really be thinking about it all too much. They should just tell you that it will be about 2.5+ months from OD. lol Why must they torture us? o_O

So in perusing KBB, the "value" of a used 2021 M3LR with like 150 miles is listed for about 56K (range of 54.5-57.7). If one were to have a new 2022 with AMD chip, do you all think that would carry a premium right now?
Not today. The only people who care right now are people who spend time on forums like this.

A few years from now when the difference is more apparent? Possibly.

Welcome to the forum. I am waiting for the exact same config.

I would pass on FSD for now. It costs $12K and they did a recent price hike (it was $10K). So I assume it will stay at $12K for quite a while and you can add it later if need be.

Even if you want FSD it might pay to add it later. There's still a chance a portion of BBB dealing EVs will pass & become law. No point missing out on a possible tax savings. You can always add FSD after you take possession of the car without destroying potential eligibility for this tax savings...
ooh very helpful suggestion and reasoning! thank you

Reactions: Paul4343
Mine hasn't changed yet for Mt Kisco 2/6-2/20 (M3LR/MSM/black/aero)...fingers crossed
I'm hoping I get a quick change back to my 2-week window. My SA alluded to the fact that this storm is creating havoc for their East Coast delivery estimates. It might be a BS line, but it does make some sense. I guess we'll see if I shift again soon. The northeast had been holding steady for a while so I'm still hoping I have a VIN coming in the next week

Good luck!

Holy cow. I had no idea you can go monthly rather than paying $10K (in my case) for the feature. Is there no difference in what you get if you pay monthly versus upfront???
i was told the monthly WILL go up in price...who knows when. That is what my plan has been (try it out monthly) for some reason I've been questioning myself! I have made a solid decision to try the monthly plan now