Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:
Scheduled for pick up on 1/29!
Can’t wait, I guess I was one of the lucky ones
99CEBE2B-984C-4270-9A17-7CEE197E6400.jpeg
It’s here!

All this frantic activity of cars getting shuffled around because people are rejecting VINs (which I don't have any problem with) is a good argument for Tesla adopting more conventional model years. For example, if you order a 2022 you would automatically get AMD, Li ion LV battery and heated wipers. You would also get the $2k in price hikes Tesla gave us. If you order 2021 you wouldn't get any of those things but you'd get all the features introduced in 2021 plus of course the lower price. If you order 2023 you get dual-pane rear glass, hairpin motor windings, and new HV battery and whatever price Tesla wants to charge.

There would be no need for rejecting cars and freaking out because everyone would be on the same page and know exactly what they're getting and getting exactly what they paid for. If you ordered a 2021 toward the end of year and then later decide you want a 2022 you can do that... but you'd have to cancel your 2021 order (possibly forfeiting your $250) and place a new 2022 order for the higher price and start at the back of the line. IMO that's the "best" and most fair way to do it. They way things are now someone can pay less than you and get a better car with newer components!
I heard about a few of the upgrades back in December when I was about to order...I tried to find out when these changes would happen (with no luck) ...gave up and finally ordered 1/23. Then found this group and my hopes are up that I'll get the new features. That month of "research" & cold feet may have paid off

I agree completely. I obviously didn't even know about the updates when I placed my order, but I also don't want my new car experience tainted by accepting a vehicle knowing that if it were made 4 days later it would have substantial upgrades. I feel silly delaying an order I've been waiting months for, but this Tesla process has turned me into an insane person.
nothing silly about it..you worked hard for you money and deserve to get what you want

My delivery was scheduled for 5pm today. I arrived early, at about 3:30 to see if it was available to check out yet. It was still parked back outside the service bays. I gave it a quick once-over and didn't find any obvious gap or fitment issues. A tech told me to come back at 4:30 after they finished their check-out and brought it around to the pickup area. I returned at 4:30 and looked some more, finding nothing amiss. I went inside and told a SA that I was early. So he offered to unlock the car from inside the building and suggested I wait in the car for someone to come help, and to familiarize myself with the car while waiting! Wow, didn't expect that. (They didn't have my check yet.) I had about 30 minutes to check out trunk and frunk and lights and windows etc etc. I even paired my phone to the display while waiting. Once they were ready, it took about 10 minutes to sign the docs and give them my cashier's check. I had a 100 mile drive to get home (in the dark). I found the car more comfortable and enjoyable than I had expected. I did have one brief incident of phantom braking which was a little unnerving. Luckily nobody was following closely behind me. Happened while doing about 68 mph on cruise control.

I came from an Audi RS3 and I am very pleased with this car so far. BTW, VIN is 165xxx and does have the Rizen. Haven't looked under the trim inside the frunk yet, but expect it will have the Li-ion battery too. Sandy Munroe is tearing down his new Plaid and showed the Li-ion battery in yesterday's episode. It was very small, helped I'm sure by there being no need for heavy amperage needed by a starter motor in an ICE vehicle.

On the way down to Seattle this afternoon I saw 2 car carriers loaded with Model 3's heading north on I-5 towards Canada.

Last edited: