Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all congrats, you're almost there. As for accessories, I took this from one of my previous posts - The one many seem to overlook is the lock for J1772 adapter. You can find a lot of videos with people taking your charger cord out if you don't use the lock. Not to mention that they are dirt cheap. https://amzn.to/3vWDpJI
Wow what a nifty little device. Thanks for sharing! Kinda wish Tesla had included this with the car.

Reactions: mrvonsprinkle
Wow what a nifty little device. Thanks for sharing! Kinda wish Tesla had included this with the car.
There are so many sentry videos of people taking them out so they can charge their car or even those pulling the charging cord out for no reason other than being a jerk. It may never happen to you or me but for a small amount of money, it seems worth grabbing one or two.

Out of curiosity, for those who are doing third party financing, has anybody secured their check yet, while having a vin assigned, but not having a delivery date set yet? Debating if I want to secure the loan and get the check from DCU now, because if I do it before Friday, I can still get the 1.99% rate, but after Friday, the rates are going up.
Vin assigned and financing complete, they overnighted a check to drop off at delivery.

My personal take on Elon’s delivery sequence and why the delivery order feels so random:

Remember that Elon said his main ‘product’ or machine is the factory itself. Everything, and I mean every single system is designed for maximum throughput. This includes a very detailed delivery system designed to maximize completed deliveries, not fairness.

I’m sure there is some priority to upgraded trims. But ultimately it comes down to shear volume and speed of getting completed cars to delivered status. A red car with white interior doesn’t add that much to the profit margin over a base model. A stagnant base model order is a liability because the cost to produce that lowest profit car keeps going up over time. If anything, they’d want to clear the queue of base models quickly.

Also, as 1000s of people are notified to finalize financing and schedule delivery, I’m sure there’s a couple hundred of those people who can’t accept the car for various reasons. These freed cars are scattered back through the system to maximize speed of completed deliveries - not simply delivered to next in line.

In other words, it’s not a queue. There are mini queues within batches based on region etc. but no global ‘rules of delivery’ so to speak. If you’re looking for the pattern, you won’t find it. They are probably optimizing deliveries in 2 week sprints (from Scrum or Agile processes). But I assure you there’s a lot of masterminding behind every movement. This is ultimately how Tesla kills their competitors….
Throughput optimization that is constantly adapting.

If deliveries really are 2-week Scrum sprints, the poor SAs really don’t have much data beyond what’s in our Tesla app.

Just my take on it, not inside knowledge.

Picking up my car next Wednesday and would like to know what to check for before accepting the vehicle. Planning to use the checklist at this link.

Wondering what else I have to look out for.

1. Matrix Headlights
2. Ryzen chip (is this an issue anymore)
3. Battery type, etc.

OD: 1/31 SR+ changed to LR in end April and delivery scheduled for 5/25

VIN is 257XXX

Picking up my car next Wednesday and would like to know what to check for before accepting the vehicle. Planning to use the checklist at this link.

Wondering what else I have to look out for.

1. Matrix Headlights
2. Ryzen chip (is this an issue anymore)
3. Battery type, etc.

OD: 1/31 SR+ changed to LR in end April and delivery scheduled for 5/25

VIN is 257XXX
Oh wow that's a super short lead time! Congratulations on your wise decision to switch :)

My personal take on Elon’s delivery sequence and why the delivery order feels so random:

I agree with everything except:

A red car with white interior doesn’t add that much to the profit margin over a base model.
I bet it's a big difference. Red paint probably is slightly slower/more expensive at the paintshop, but nowhere near $2500 worth, maybe $500. And white interior is probably $100 or less more expensive than black, as only difference is material. So $3500 more revenue for $600 more cost (made up numbers but I think reasonable) is a big deal. Tesla now has large gross margins but it probably won't forever, might come down to $5000 per car (base) in a competitive market, typical of automakers, so adding $2900 in profit is a big improvement. Not as much as $12000 for $0 incremental cost but that's another story

I agree with everything except:

I bet it's a big difference. Red paint probably is slightly slower/more expensive at the paintshop, but nowhere near $2500 worth, maybe $500. And white interior is probably $100 or less more expensive than black, as only difference is material. So $3500 more revenue for $600 more cost (made up numbers but I think reasonable) is a big deal. Tesla now has large gross margins but it probably won't forever, might come down to $5000 per car (base) in a competitive market, typical of automakers, so adding $2900 in profit is a big improvement. Not as much as $12000 for $0 incremental cost but that's another story
To add to this, it’s hard to define a base model. The white multi-coat white paint certainly costs more to put on than the single-coat MSM paint. The red costs minimally above the white, but it costs significantly more than the MSM.

If Tesla truly de-prioritizes lower-margin units, they should actually prioritize MSM over white, so if you change your color from white to MSM you should get an earlier EDD range.

Last edited:
Any FL deliveries updated with the folks waiting on the charge port ECU? I have heard that the trucks delivering cars now have the charge port and people are taking deliveries but ours (along with hundreds of other cars) sit on the lot waiting for charge port ECU’s still.

Last edited:
Any FL deliveries updated with this folks waiting on the charge port? I have heard that the trucks delivering cars now have the charge port and people are taking deliveries but ours (along with hundreds of other cars) sit on the lot waiting for charge port ECU’s still.
I’m in FL and supposed to get my car 5/27. I don’t get the sense my car has been sitting around impacted by the issue though.

Reactions: Teleezen
Any FL deliveries updated with the folks waiting on the charge port ECU? I have heard that the trucks delivering cars now have the charge port and people are taking deliveries but ours (along with hundreds of other cars) sit on the lot waiting for charge port ECU’s still.
Still waiting on my charge port ECU in Ft. Lauderdale. Car got to FLL 5/11, I was told the EDD was 5/23.

Is anyone here waiting longer then me? I ordered 12/27/2021, never changed anything, will pay CASH and still don't have my car.
That's almost 5 months !!!!!
It just seems like a bunch of people who ordered in Feb 2022 are getting their cars before me.
Where are you located? That could be a big factor as well. I’m NC and ordered 3/4 got my Vin two days ago. I would call the SC and speak to someone and figure out what’s going on.

Reactions: Teleezen