Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any FL deliveries updated with the folks waiting on the charge port ECU? I have heard that the trucks delivering cars now have the charge port and people are taking deliveries but ours (along with hundreds of other cars) sit on the lot waiting for charge port ECU’s still.
I'm in FL-Tampa Bay area. My EDD window still keeps getting pushed out one day at a time. Current EDD as of today is 5/19-5/23. I honestly don't care about waiting any longer, I just don't want CU loan and Insurance quote to expire before the car comes. It would be nice if Tesla gave some kind update with a general ETA, but it's Tesla. Good luck

This is concerning to me. I ordered 3 days before you, same specs and delivery location. My dates have held so far, but am afraid to see what happens over the next few days.
I've been keeping tabs on your posts...I knew we were close in order timing and delivery location. Hoping you are spared from any movement. I'm picking up in Libertyville since that is the closest location to Wisconsin. No direct sales allowed in Wisconsin, so picking up in IL.

Reactions: dgoodlan
why Tesla is delivering cars that were produced AFTER those with the charge port issue, or why those affected have not been fast-tracked to new vehicles are all questions that warrant immediate answers.
This!!! This is what I don't understand. My VIN is 237XXX and I've seen countless people with the same config as mine take delivery already w/o the charge port ECU issue. I just don't understand why people who ordered at the top of the year ( or late last year) are waiting on cars that aren't fully assembled. I know Florida is the land down under but I see folks who are still waiting over 5 months in...

The best part is, you can back out at any time!
I can't stress this enough. Anybody who cannot wait or doesn't want to should just buy another car. I think the Mach E lead time is only 9 months long but they won't have to worry about their EDD being inaccurate because there won't be any.

"Out of money" was a typo, meant to say "out money" in response to your point that this hasn't cost me anything. It seems like a lot of Tesla's practices, and sentiment from some buyers as well, are built on the idea that people are switching from an existing car that's in perfect working order. But what about people buying this as their first car / first car in a while / replacement for a car that died? In an ideal world, Tesla (and other hotly demanded car companies) would partner with an Enterprise or Hertz to give discounts for people who are on the wait list (accurate EDD or not, VIN received or not). That kind of thing doesn't happen if we refuse to hold brands accountable for the impact of their delays or consider that not everyone buying a car is in your exact scenario. The "cost" of waiting, as well as misleading or nontransparent info, is more than a $250 deposit for many customers, and I'd imagine that's truer now than ever before given all the migration from non-car urban areas (like New York City) to smaller cities and suburban regions in which cars are required.

I went in knowing that I'd wait some, and therefore pay more in rental fees than if I just picked up whatever was on the lot at the local Kia dealer. But that doesn't mean I have to be happy bout spending more than I expected. You're 100% correct that I could put my money where my mouth is and walk away; I'm absolutely a hypocrite for staying the course. But at least I want to make sure that negative feedback is shared so I'm doing something to contribute toward a better future buying experience. There's a difference between tolerating problems because you want something, and pretending those problems don't exist because you want something.

My issue with estimated delivery dates is of course not that I cannot envision a scenario in which they ever change, but that they should be rooted in some sort of actual data. And that the closer they are, and the more narrow they become, the more they can be trusted. If Tesla truly "doesn't know when to expect the charging port," how can they confidently provide a May 19-23 window? Why not just be more honest and risk averse and say "TBD Late May" or "Delivery Delayed, Stay Tuned For Updates From Your Sales Advisor"?

Also keep in mind that I'm not just relying on the app, I was told by my SA at the time of VIN receipt that my car would be ready within two weeks. And I was told by the call center that my car would be delivered to Florida on May 14 and ready for pickup no later than May 17. So these are HUMANS, not automated or glitchy apps, giving me bad info.
Out of money? Perhaps cancelling is your best option?

If Tesla truly "doesn't know when to expect the charging port," how can they confidently provide a May 19-23 window? Why not just be more honest and risk averse and say "TBD Late May" or "Delivery Delayed, Stay Tuned For Updates From Your Sales Advisor"?

Also keep in mind that I'm not just relying on the app, I was told by my SA at the time of VIN receipt that my car would be ready within two weeks. And I was told by the call center that my car would be delivered to Florida on May 14 and ready for pickup no later than May 17. So these are HUMANS, not automated or glitchy apps, giving me bad info.
These are fair points. Clearly there is a major disconnect between the production team and the sales team. This is something that Tesla should resolve. Unfortunately, until we actually protest by canceling our orders and hurting Tesla's sales, they will have no incentive to do so. We live in a capitalist society. Money talks.

Sorry I didn't track my dates very closely until I found this thread.

M3LR, MSM, Black, Aero, No FSD

VIN - 243xxx

OD: 2/13 original EDD at time of order was April 2022
EDD 1 - was something like 5/6-6/6
EDD 2 - was something like 5/13-6/13
EDD 3 - was very briefly 6/1-6/30 - I almost threw up lol
EDD 4 - 5/13-5/27
EDD 5 - 5/17-5/20

Received the text on the 16th to schedule delivery and got all excited only to realize that the dates were 5/24 - 527 so it got pushed back a week.

Delivery currently scheduled for 5/24 in Raleigh, NC

Texted SA today to verify I'm still scheduled for 5/24 and asked if they could verify the car wasn't waiting on any parts. I'm worried about this because of the last second push back of a week. They replied with a generic response that someone on the delivery team would reach out if there is a delay but the current date is still 5/24.

We live about 45 mins away from the SC but we might take a trip to Raleigh to do some shopping Saturday. If we do that we are definitely going to scope things out and see if we can find the car on the lot.

I've been keeping tabs on your posts...I knew we were close in order timing and delivery location. Hoping you are spared from any movement. I'm picking up in Libertyville since that is the closest location to Wisconsin. No direct sales allowed in Wisconsin, so picking up in IL.
I will definitely let you know if I get any updates. I would anticipate our cars being in the same shipment.

Reactions: ehartfiel
To add to this, it’s hard to define a base model. The white multi-coat white paint certainly costs more to put on than the single-coat MSM paint. The red costs minimally above the white, but it costs significantly more than the MSM.

If Tesla truly de-prioritizes lower-margin units, they should actually prioritize MSM over white, so if you change your color from white to MSM you should get an earlier EDD range.

Black used to be the base color, as it was for the Ford Model T. I bet it's cheapest at the factory but incurred many more costs in dealer prep and rejected cars as it's harder to look very good, and with the attention to Tesla paint, customers were picky. So they changed to white as a base. I'm surprised they didn't go to a flat white, but then again there are costs in maintaining more colors for parts inventory over the years.

Reactions: jpaychek and Hiline
Attitudes like this are why customer experiences don't improve. I know we all hate the idea of being a "Karen," but when hundreds (if not thousands) of cars are being held up due to an inexcusable manufacturing anomaly, and one of the biggest companies in the world can't even be honest or transparent about what's going on let alone provide an urgent fix, customers have every reason to demand better. This is the "age of the customer" in which brands are supposed to be competing on experience and commitment to long-term customer relationships, not product alone.

You have every right to demand better when a $5 water bottle shows up a day late without warning, because every company is supposed to be meeting the "Zappos standard." This is a $60K product from a brand that is supposed to be revolutionizing the auto industry and delivering a uniquely customer-centric and transparent experience

Also, for the record, I am out money. I was told I had to secure car insurance the day I received my VIN in order to proceed. That was more than 2 weeks ago. Which means I've now paid for insurance on a car I can't drive. And at this rate, it's likely I'll pay for an entire month for no reason.

Additionally, I arranged to have my long-term car rental returned on May 15, the day after my original May 8-14 window. I've since had to buy shorter-term car rentals tied to the false expectation delivery dates, which come at a higher daily cost than if I had just secured a longer-term rental from the jump. Not to mention the additional hassle and opportunity cost of going to/from car rental facilities.

Regarding your hypothetical, yes, I would rather they not have given me a narrow estimated delivery date if the car wasn't ready. For context, one of the reasons I bought my car directly through Tesla, as opposed to leasing/renting through Go Car and saving the down payment, was that Go Car couldn't provide any guarantee that their "June delivery date" would be honored on a car make known for supply & demand issues. Yet here's Tesla, who is as close as possible to the situation, blatantly providing false delivery dates. My car will 100% not be delivered today and probably not in the next 5, so why does my app say May 19-23?

Is my #1 option to have the car? Of course. But if I can't have the car, my #2 option is that they just be honest and transparent about what is happening. We all knew the charging port issue was at play, so why was I first told that the only issue is that my car was sitting in Alabama, and as soon as a truck can bring it to Florida on May 14, I'll get to pick it up?

You're also neglecting the other scenario in your hypothetical, which is that Tesla stop producing cars until all the existing ones are fitted with this charge port. Or if that's not practical from a logistics or business standpoint, re-assign the new cars to those with existing VINS, and then reassign the charge port cars to those who would be next in line.
Ok, a few thoughts on this.

1) This sucks and you have every right to be pissed.
2) When you are wronged by a business you have the option of cancelling your order and going to a competitor
3) I’m not sure how you wound up paying for Insurance, I have a VIN but will not ad insurance until the last minute
4) Stop producing cars is complete non-starter. You don’t really suggest they lay off thousands of employees so that a few people can get their cars quicker?

But, we all need to get a grip, this is a business and a fast growing one at that, there will be problems, these should absolutely be addressed as soon as possible. I will say though that personally, after buying several cars at ordinary dealerships, this has been a breath of fresh air. And the vast majority of buyers just order wait and pickup, I would venture that less than 10% of buyers face substantial issues. Where delerships(From well known and highly regarded companies) have screwed me over the majority of the time. Here a few highlights(lowlights?)

Honda - Basically walking out the door to pick up my car and dealer calls and cancels the deal(just because). When I say we have a signed deal he says “Well, I never signed it”.
Toyota - Arrive to pick up car we waited 4 months for is wrong color interior. He then says that it doesn’t come in the other color and we can walk away if we want. Of course no harm to him as it very popular and will sell in about a day.
Nissan - Negotiate a deal for an hour only to have “Manager” come and cancel everything and start over and basically give nothing in return.

Of these three I only ended up with the Toyota because I was stuck. And these are just the highlights, and from what should be companies that know better. So yeah, Tesla is not perfect, but in my opinion is headed in the right direction.