Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - LR AWD Waiting Room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
U.S. Treasury says consumer leases can qualify for EV tax credits

The U.S. Treasury Department said Thursday that electric vehicles leased by consumers starting Jan. 1 can qualify for up to $7,500 in commercial clean vehicle tax credits, a decision that makes those assembled outside North America eligible.
Isn't this kind of a big deal? Both for Tesla and for foreign manufacturers?

Does it also make vehicles over the MSRP limits eligible? How about all the taxpayers over the new income limits - do they get the $7,500 tax credits if they lease the car?

Isn't this kind of a big deal? Both for Tesla and for foreign manufacturers?

Does it also make vehicles over the MSRP limits eligible? How about all the taxpayers over the new income limits - do they get the $7,500 tax credits if they lease the car?
It's a big deal for the car companies because they get money when they lease a car. Whether or not they pass any of that on to the customer is up to the car company. In typical capitalist fashion, two of the biggest lobbyists for the lease change were Hyundai and Kia - both of whom did not pass any credits onto leasing customers under the prior tax credit program. They want to get paid by Americans to lease EVs in the US.

I've seen nothing in all this that suggests that MSRP or income requirements would be affected. If they were, then the change would encourage the wealthy to lease expensive EVs, which has nothing to do with encouraging the adoption of EVs.

The whole incentive program should have been structured around mileage. Each 1,000 miles driven gets you a $75 tax credit until you reach 100,000 miles. This means that the more efficient an EV is, the better the return for the user. It also encourages use of EVs over simply buying one. It also eliminates any issues of leasing or buying. If you rent an EV for a vacation, you still get a tax credit for the miles you drove.

Such a program would be harder to regulate (verifying reported miles), but I think it would focus on the goal, which is to get people to transition to use of EVs to get around.

It's a big deal for the car companies because they get money when they lease a car. Whether or not they pass any of that on to the customer is up to the car company. In typical capitalist fashion, two of the biggest lobbyists for the lease change were Hyundai and Kia - both of whom did not pass any credits onto leasing customers under the prior tax credit program. They want to get paid by Americans to lease EVs in the US.

I've seen nothing in all this that suggests that MSRP or income requirements would be affected. If they were, then the change would encourage the wealthy to lease expensive EVs, which has nothing to do with encouraging the adoption of EVs.

The whole incentive program should have been structured around mileage. Each 1,000 miles driven gets you a $75 tax credit until you reach 100,000 miles. This means that the more efficient an EV is, the better the return for the user. It also encourages use of EVs over simply buying one. It also eliminates any issues of leasing or buying. If you rent an EV for a vacation, you still get a tax credit for the miles you drove.

Such a program would be harder to regulate (verifying reported miles), but I think it would focus on the goal, which is to get people to transition to use of EVs to get around.
Well, what the rules should be and what the rules actually are are two different things, aren't they?

IBD now reporting that the lease rule clarification does indeed allow tax credits for high-price EVs and high-income taxpayers:

The two trays are available for purchase on the Tesla website. They no longer come standard.

I didn't even know about the second tray. Possibly my '20 never had it.

Would be great to see a discount on acceleration boost for those that took delivery of a M3LR in 2022 before all these amazing discounts were given out to new customers. Some kind of thank you to older customers who waited longer, paid the highest price ever for their cars, etc.
The thank you was you got a deal you were happy with at the time.

The thank you was you got a deal you were happy with at the time.
I'm VERY happy with my Jan '22 purchase. Got the mobile charger, USS, Ryzen, matrix headlights, and license plate frame. AND, my car is now worth more on the used car market than I paid for it . 😊 PLUS, the exhilaration of driving it for almost a year now without buying any gasoline! 😊 😊

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: wmo168 and jpaychek
Not sure where you're getting your used car values, but right now the value of used Tesla's is down, just like the stock. Try seeing how much someone is willing to pay you for your car, and not what other people are hoping to get on ones they're trying to sell.
Exactly, the prices have really come down quite a bit since last fall. That's when I sold my 2 month old LR Model 3 for $7k more than my purchase including taxes/fees I paid. Pretty crazy. I'm glad things are returning back to more appropriate pricing though...

The web site has gone back to normal custom orders. The Model 3 Long Range button is greyed out. Below it shows the text "Available in 2023" which is quickly replaced by "See limited current and upcoming inventory". Either Tesla is intentionally being weird or the people making changes to the web site don't know what they're doing. Or both.

My theory behind this is that the new Model 3 (project highland) is coming faster than the initially anticipated Q3 launch time. Tesla is basically not making a lot of model 3 as it is. Shanghai factory stopped for around a week during the end of Dec, that could be some refactoring for new Model 3 production. And if you have a M3LR order you can see the estimated delivery date is no longer displayed on the app.

I am hoping to see new Model 3 in Q2 this year.

Saw a bunch of M3 LR available for sale in NY zip 10001. They start only 1500 above tax credit. Makes way to much sense for Tesla to do some change to get below this limit.

Maybe software limit the range to 50 miles less for 6k discount then allow that purchase after delivery to restore full range.

Saw a bunch of M3 LR available for sale in NY zip 10001. They start only 1500 above tax credit. Makes way to much sense for Tesla to do some change to get below this limit.

Maybe software limit the range to 50 miles less for 6k discount then allow that purchase after delivery to restore full range.
If you order the M3 LR (Cash or finance) and Tesla reduces the sales price prior to you taking delivery, they will apply the lower cost to your order. No other automaker would do that. Also, if you lease the M3 LR, the credit appears to apply no matter what.

Food for thought if the confusion around the Tax Credit is the only thing holding you back.

Reactions: MacO512
If you order the M3 LR (Cash or finance) and Tesla reduces the sales price prior to you taking delivery, they will apply the lower cost to your order. No other automaker would do that. Also, if you lease the M3 LR, the credit appears to apply no matter what.

Food for thought if the confusion around the Tax Credit is the only thing holding you back.

There are new inventory M3LR available in my area of Austin now for immediate delivery but they are ~$2k above tax credit limit. What your saying makes sense and yes would apply if I'm putting in an order now to get delivery months in the future with uncertainty of price changes potentially happening in the weeks ahead.

But for my case I really want to get delivery ASAP. Actually I wanted it between Dec22-31 after Tesla offered a $7500 discount, as December was projected on my order, but I never got a VIN and couldn't find anything in inventory. Now as we're after Jan 1st I want to stay under $55k Sedan for the tax credit. Today the only Tesla models that can get a credit are the M3RWD and MY 7 seater. So I'm waiting for a M3RWD to become available or Tesla to announce new pricing. Don't really need a second MYLR7.