Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As already posted by many but just to clarify with some formulas (this is assuming you qualify for the new EV tax credit which depends on the EV you purchase and your total adjusted gross income):

Without the EV tax credit in play, this is the typical general scenario:

Say you made X money in 2022 and your total calculated federal tax for 2022 turns out to be Y on your tax return for 2022. Say you already paid Z in taxes during the year (withheld from your paycheck for example).
1. If Z is greater than Y, then you overpaid for taxes during the year and you get a refund of Z minus Y from the IRS.
2. In case Z is less than Y, you underpaid your taxes and you owe the IRS a check in the amount of Y minus Z.

Now, with the tax credit, your refund check or the amount you still owe the IRS will change:

1. If Y is greater than or equal to $7500, the net tax benefit coming into your pocket will be $7500, i.e., your refund check will increase by $7500 or the tax you still owe the IRS is decreased by $7500, so regardless, your benefit is $7500.
2. If Y is less than $7500 then the net tax benefit coming to your pocket will be only Y which in this case is a number less than $7500. Say Y was $5000 to begin with, then your benefit is also only $5000. Please note that if Y was equal to zero to begin with (i.e., you did not owe any taxes to the IRS at all during 2022), then your benefit is also zero.
Thank you for that explanation.

You are incorrect. The post above this is very helpful in explaining.

The non-refundable language doesn't mean you won't get a bigger check in April. I told you, I got a $12,000 check for my 2018 taxes.

Non-refundable means this:

If your Total Tax liability was only $5,000 for the year, then you can only use $5,000 of the credit and the remaining $2,500 is lost. The lost $2,500 is the non-refundable part. If the credit was "refundable" then any unused portion would also be paid to you.

If your Total Tax liability was $10,000 for the year, then you can use $7,500 of the credit, to offset it.

Total Tax is not what you necessarily what you owe in April. Most US tax payers either pay taxes on every paycheck (W2), they pay quarterly taxes or they pay it all in April. In April, if your Total Tax is $7,500 or more, you will get to use all of it. If you overpaid taxes during the year, then you will get a a refund. The credit is additional money in your refund check. If you happen to owe money, the credit will reduce that amount.

Look at your last year 1040 Line 24. Is that number bigger than $7,500?

Stop looking at line 34/35a (Refund), or 37 (Owed) it is unrelated to those.
Thank you oh Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler (see thee Honeymooners), Yes my line 24 is almost 27K. So it's all good. IF ELon make M3LR 54999. It's presently 57990. BTW I saw a video last night. He's getting rid of all those USS (Ulrasound Sensors - those round circles on the bumper and rear) and the guy calculate by using camera only it hast a blind spot 3 feet and 1 foot off the ground in the front. All to save $120/car. He ALSO said that they are getting rid of the old cameras and will be using 5MP Samsung cameras. WHen who knows, probably after 200K people order it before it's available

Reactions: Snow Drift
I found 3 near me, with white interior. $60,490 (White w/ 19s or Black w/ 18s). When you click into the car you can add EAP and FSD.
I asked the Tesla sales lady why they are doing this rather than order one she just says they just do it. She said a few weeks ago there were 200 waitinng to be built in Nov-Dec. I'm gonna wait until next year and see if I can utilize the tax credit otherwise it's an Ioniq 6 for me. I chased down an Ioniq 5 owner yesterday and he says he loves it. +2 free years charwging at EA (I said where the hell is EA). Luckily these are EA chargers at a huge mall near me. One question though, is there a converter from Ioniq plug to NEMA 14-50 or do I need to get an electrician

Reactions: Snow Drift
Thank you oh Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler (see thee Honeymooners), Yes my line 24 is almost 27K. So it's all good. IF ELon make M3LR 54999. It's presently 57990. BTW I saw a video last night. He's getting rid of all those USS (Ulrasound Sensors - those round circles on the bumper and rear) and the guy calculate by using camera only it hast a blind spot 3 feet and 1 foot off the ground in the front. All to save $120/car. He ALSO said that they are getting rid of the old cameras and will be using 5MP Samsung cameras. WHen who knows, probably after 200K people order it before it's available
Glad I could help clarify. It was very confusing back in 2018 when I first got a Tesla.
I asked the Tesla sales lady why they are doing this rather than order one she just says they just do it. She said a few weeks ago there were 200 waitinng to be built in Nov-Dec. I'm gonna wait until next year and see if I can utilize the tax credit otherwise it's an Ioniq 6 for me. I chased down an Ioniq 5 owner yesterday and he says he loves it. +2 free years charwging at EA (I said where the hell is EA). Luckily these are EA chargers at a huge mall near me. One question though, is there a converter from Ioniq plug to NEMA 14-50 or do I need to get an electrician
The Ioniq 5 and other CCS cars all accept the J1772 plug (it goes into the top outlet on the CCS port). So, you can use any EVSE (hardwired or 14-50 outlet) with the Ioniq 5. If you have a Tesla Wall Connector (or used a Tesla Destination Charger) you would need a Tesla->J1772 adapter (this is the opposite of the J1772->Tesla adapter that comes with Teslas from the dealer).

The Ioniq 5 currently comes with a mobile charger, however, it is just a normal prong (120v) with a J1772 plug. That only works slowly in a basic wall outlet. If you want to upgrade to 14-50 you would need to buy an EVSE, have an electrician install a 14-50 outlet or hardwire. Considering the charging capability, you should hardwire to a 60A breaker with a 48A capable EVSE.
You don't FSD. It's15K down a rathole. I'm a much better driver
Don't worry, I don't even use AP. My Model 3 didn't have EAP at all. Our Model Y has basic AP, but I don't use it. I actually like to drive the car.

Last edited:
Glad I could help clarify. It was very confusing back in 2018 when I first got a Tesla.

The Ioniq 5 and other CCS cars all accept the J1772 plug (it goes into the top outlet on the CCS port). So, you can use any EVSE (hardwired or 14-50 outlet) with the Ioniq 5. If you have a Tesla Wall Connector (or used a Tesla Destination Charger) you would need a Tesla->J1772 adapter (this is the opposite of the J1772->Tesla adapter that comes with Teslas from the dealer).

The Ioniq 5 currently comes with a mobile charger, however, it is just a normal prong (120v) with a J1772 plug. That only works slowly in a basic wall outlet. If you want to upgrade to 14-50 you would need to buy an EVSE, have an electrician install a 14-50 outlet or hardwire. Considering the charging capability, you should hardwire to a 60A breaker with a 48A capable EVSE.

Don't worry, I don't even use AP. My Model 3 didn't have EAP at all. Our Model Y has basic AP, but I don't use it. I actually like to drive the car.
I have a NEMA 1450 240V on the outside of my house. So the question remains is there an adapter for the "house" end of IONIQ cable to the NEMA 1450

For those thinking about tax credits, keep in mind that the $7,500 is in two parts, one for the made-in-USA car, the other for having (in 2023) at least 40% of the minerals in the battery mined, refined, or recycled in the US or a country we like. The second part is probably not achievable by any manufacturer right now, including Tesla. So I look at the possible incentive for a 2023 Tesla meeting the cost limits as $3,750.

For those thinking about tax credits, keep in mind that the $7,500 is in two parts, one for the made-in-USA car, the other for having (in 2023) at least 40% of the minerals in the battery mined, refined, or recycled in the US or a country we like. The second part is probably not achievable by any manufacturer right now, including Tesla. So I look at the possible incentive for a 2023 Tesla meeting the cost limits as $3,750.
Just a clarification, the 1st part (based on your comments), for 1/1/23+, is for the percentage of battery components being made in the US. Not the car. The car itself being built in North America is a blanket requirement that has $0 associated with it. If your car is not built in North America, no credit at all.

Reactions: mapman
just wondering if anyone has insight information on new pricing for long range model 3 in 2023 and when we can order online in term of which month in 2023 we can start order?
You can buy one now for $57,990

The custom design is not offered but the pre-made ones have been waiting for you.

You can buy one now for $57,990

The custom design is not offered but the pre-made ones have been waiting for you.
thanks. I am in Canada and no long range is in inventory where i am at.

I have a NEMA 1450 240V on the outside of my house. So the question remains is there an adapter for the "house" end of IONIQ cable to the NEMA 1450
What kind of charger is provided with Ioniq 5 in US. says that while the portable EVSE included with the Ioniq 5 in the US is officially for 120V 12A, it will unofficially work at 240V 12A if its 5-15 plug is plugged into an adapter to plug into a 240V receptacle. While this will charge twice as fast as 120V 12A, it is still much slower than 240V 32A that you could get from a 14-50 receptacle properly wired for 240V 40-50A, so if you already have a properly wired 14-50 receptacle, then you may want to get an EVSE capable of using it at 32A.

We currently have a 3 LR on lease and need to turn it in and get a new vehicle. But we cannot order a 3 LR until sometime in 2023. Anyone know why.
You can watch the inventory and grab one from there when it becomes available. Nobody knows when/if they will ever let you order a Model 3 LR again. (Maybe when the "Highlander" refresh has been completed.)

If Tesla is supposedly having 'demand' problems which led to the need for the recent Telsa U.S. and European price cuts, why is the Model 3 LR not available to order? I thought that the original story behind the pause in Model 3 LR availability was that demand for that version had outstripped Tesla's ability to supply it. Its continued unavailability does not fit well with a 'demand' problem scenario.

Reactions: dgaultiere