Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR not currently available to order (USA) [posted 08.12.2022 --Its back! 05.02.2023]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My SA today told me the new LR AWD on the website are LFP batteries and the range might be higher than 325 but will be less than the 358 it used to be. Still awaiting EPA testing. He also wouldn't deny or confirm whether these are the Highland models.
The end point staff don’t know anything more than we do. They are the last to find out details like that and it’s often leaked online before they are officially briefed. Probably just regurgitating what he saw online.

I’ll say it again, it seems physically impossible for LR to be LFP based on current LFP energy density levels or even CATL M3P density levels, unless they made some chassis design changes to be able to significantly increase pack volume.

The end point staff don’t know anything more than we do. They are the last to find out details like that and it’s often leaked online before they are officially briefed. Probably just regurgitating what he saw online.

I’ll say it again, it seems physically impossible for LR to be LFP based on current LFP energy density levels or even CATL M3P density levels, unless they made some chassis design changes to be able to significantly increase pack volume.
and even if they could accommodate the pack size needed for 325 miles+ EPA ... the vehicle would be *very* heavy and noticeably heavier than a Model 3 Performance ... yet they still claim 4.2 seconds for 0-60 as a spec...

My SA today told me the new LR AWD on the website are LFP batteries and the range might be higher than 325 but will be less than the 358 it used to be. Still awaiting EPA testing. He also wouldn't deny or confirm whether these are the Highland models.
Interesting, I reached out to Tesla a couple of weeks ago asking them what type of battery was in the Long Range. I heard nothing until yesterday where they said it was LFP.

I agree with others on the physical size of the LFP and the range doesn't add up. There's more to it I'm sure but this is Tesla and looks like we wait to see how they did what they did. In terms of the 4.2 to 60 hopefully we'll see soon. I can only speculate that since they aren't (that I'm aware of) making performance boost available anymore that it's already been applied bringing the performance back to 4.2?

• Informative
Reactions: cmy4x4
Interesting, I reached out to Tesla a couple of weeks ago asking them what type of battery was in the Long Range. I heard nothing until yesterday where they said it was LFP.

I agree with others on the physical size of the LFP and the range doesn't add up. There's more to it I'm sure but this is Tesla and looks like we wait to see how they did what they did. In terms of the 4.2 to 60 hopefully we'll see soon. I can only speculate that since they aren't (that I'm aware of) making performance boost available anymore that it's already been applied bringing the performance back to 4.2?

It's just gonna be the China-spec LG cells in an LR pack. No LFP, and as usual not much knowledge from SA's

Still way too many things unknown to say anything confidentially. I’ve seen people discussing how it could possibly be LFP through a method to increase energy density. But then the max charging speed on the specs page seem to point to it not being LFP. 🤷🏼‍♂️ It also seems the Canadian LR and the USA LR are not being manufactured in the same place. Based on this quote.
Hi. Had originally ordered M3 RWD on 4/21/2023. I switched my order to an AWD LR model on 05/12/2023 because it became eligible to the government rebates here in Canada (12k$). Got my VIN the same day (source code "hidden") with an EDD between 06/06-06/20.

Since the VIN starts with the letters LRW, it was manufactured in China. There is a ship from China, "MORNING CAROLINE" leaving Tacoma towards Canada today. Would it be fair to assume that my car is on this ship ? There are a lot of posts about Model Y's being transported but I haven't found any regarding M3's...

Lastly, how long does it typically take for the car to travel west to east (Montreal) ? By train or trucks ?
Because if it were coming from China the US LR wouldn’t qualify for any of the federal rebate, correct?

Correct. It will be interesting to see what happens but I can’t imagine they will do this rather than just use the battery packs. Who knows?
My point is that some people were comparing the Canadian model with the US model. But they are not coming from the same factory or location. The US LR is US built with a foreign battery and the Canadian LR seems to be 100% built in China. Lots of questions across the entire Tesla line, with them removing some X and S models in other countries and everything. Hard to know what is going to be the final LR.

How do you know that? Do you have a source for this information or is it speculation. At present Tesla are saying LFP Batteries and are telling other potential customers the same. Do you know something the people at Tesla don't know.
I'm pretty sure some Tesla employees have told people that 4680 could be kept at 100% because it is LFP. That is obviously wrong.

The specs on the website don't make sense for LFP, so it seems really unlikely. It'd be a quantum leap forward for LFP to meet the stated specs.