Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 LR RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my heart set on a Model 3 LR RWD and reading around on here and YouTube ect it seems many other Australians did too. For me this is a deal breaker, I live in the NW of WA and I need the range but don’t have the budget for a AWD Performance.
How does everyone else feel about this? After waiting 3 years I’m devastated.
I emailed Tesla and received the following reply, crazy.
Long Range Rear-wheel Drive is highly unlikely at this stage. It’s only offered as an “off-menu” item in the US but keep in mind the Model 3 has been available in the US for nearly 2 years now so it’s not likely that we will offer “off-menu” items in Australia in the foreseeable future

To be honest, the sales (all) staff don't really know whats going on. Hell even the US staff don't know whats going on 1/2 the time. Take the CCS2 upgrade. Tesla published that before Tesla Aus even knew about it.

I think LR will come to Aus in Time, right now they are trying to sell the most profitable cars to the RHD markets.

Reactions: Techno-phile
To be honest, the sales (all) staff don't really know whats going on
Seconded. I've personally advised the martin place staff of a few things before they knew about it.

I think they will leave us with the current range until the mix of performance vs SR+ orders swing too far towards SR+. They will then introduce more models between the two to try to limit sales of the lower margin SR+

I too am waiting for the LR RWD as it is the best value for anyone that does long trips. I expect the non P AWD to be released once P reservations drop. I will eventually buy a 7 seat Y which I guess may only be available in AWD so I don’t need an AWD sedan as well.

I have driven back from too many Easter holidays in NSW through hours of wind and rain so having a family in an LR RWD would be a lot less stressful than an SR+.

Reactions: cashie
I'll only purchase a LR RWD with white interior. It seems there are a few of us. Tesla might be more responsive if we order a basic SR+ with black interior now, then cancel at the last moment if our preference isn't made available. Could involve some discipline, which I like. According to their order agreements FAQs, an order can be cancelled at any time with full refund.

• Disagree
Reactions: phigment and cashie
I think there are more hidden costs in getting a car to Australia than we understand, risk, insurance, forex all weigh a part. I actually think Tesla realised we'd be a hard market to crack so brought us there p3d- without the performance pack for about the price of what they thought they could do the awd for. After all some believe the difference is only in the software.

I just don't think there is currently room to slot in the LR awd or rwd under the price of the performance and still make an acceptable margin. Costs will need to go down and margins up before we see either lr variant here.

I would like the LR too, but if push comes to shove I'm slightly leaning toward a SR+ over a Kona, despite the longer range from the Hyundai at essentially the same price (actually Tesla is cheaper if you add in a garage EVSE versus getting one with the M3). Still, the LR non-performance would have been the no-compromise choice for me.

After waiting 3 years I’m devastated.
After 3 years, I have cancelled my reservation, bought another car, and lost most of the excitement I had for the car. I think I still want one, but now I am thinking about getting a 2020 car. I mean it's been more than 3 years, what's another few months?
What an unusual approach to business, trying to maximise margins
It wasn't meant to be a criticism, really I was just stating the obvious. Tesla needs all the money they can get. The model S is 7 years old, it is due for a new body/model, but they are doing an update only, presumably because they cannot afford to do an all new model.
My preference is for LR RWD too, but realistically how many people are screaming out for it to make it worth Tesla's while?
I gather the LR RWD is not sold anywhere in the world now, so there is no chance of us getting them, not at least until the UK gets them.

I think it’s best to hold the reservation and not order although I am also thinking about cancelling the reservation as it is pointless if they don’t offer more options before August. I expect them to ship more cars than they have sold especially as AWD is just a software limited P3D,

I hope they release LR RWD before the first shipment leaves but I suspect if it comes it will be in September or Q4.

White interior is probably still production constrained, AU is offering in August what can be manufactured for August, Tesla is cell constrained so they must produce some SR+ and it makes sense to sell P3D to see if anyone is willing to stretch (margins). They also will not talk about what they will offer long term as they want you to buy now.

Other than the extra cost, there is another reason to go for the RWD rather than the AWD. Some have said that the RWD is quieter, the front motor apparently generates an audible noise. It is all moot though if we are not getting the RWD.

You’re completely right, my Model S 70 is MUCH MUCH quieter than all the AWD Tesla’s I have driven including our Model X.

However, RWD is also quite a bit slower and doesn’t have the same punch you get from the AWD’s

Reactions: Tension