Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Mule Sightings

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The nose has clearly changed. Here some marked-up pics of the last few images that were posted previously. On the RC, the crease extends wider past the signal light, the top part of the nose (#1, from the edge to the hood) is wider, and the front end of the nose (#2) is not as tall. They are relatively small, but noticeable differences.

kVPCBoc.jpg

xs6WOFJ.jpg

4SZrFZs.jpg
You can draw a line on that blue car wherever you want, but that's not necessarily where the body crease is. (I don't see it in the same place you have it drawn) Having it blend into the curve at the front of the fog light opening is the more logical place for it to go.
I think you are following the line created by the reflection of a split between some tress or bushes and pavement.
Until somebody gets a good close-up of that area without massive reflections we won't know for sure. We shall see.

The number 1 line could be longer, I can't tell, but that could also have been done by shortening the hood as opposed to moving the duck bill.

I'd really like to discuss these interior pictures. Something no one has mentioned is that it already looks like Volvo-guy was able to address a Tesla shortcoming: The mixture of materials looks better than any Tesla to day or the M3 prototype. The way the black leather/plastic and faux wood come together with the metal strips looks exactly like the kind of work he did at Volvo for the XC90 and S90, but applied to Tesla tech. Can they get him started on the S and X please?
The wood in the S and X and presumably the 3 have never been faux. While it may be backed with plastic for mounting, the actual wood itself is real.

Reactions: melindav
why not just de-badge it?
I think @eisbock 's point is the "missing" metal strip that S/X have, not the emblem:

three-quarter-rear2.jpg
Yes, sorry, that was terrible sentence composition on my part.

Model 3 looks like it used to have a metal strip and then it was yanked off or stolen. The back of Model S looks much more "complete". I think Model 3 could look complete too if the "lip" was shifted down in line with the bottom of the taillight. Right now, it looks the same as Model S, just with the metal strip torn out and the bottom chunk of the taillights missing.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
The nose has clearly changed. Here some marked-up pics of the last few images that were posted previously. On the RC, the crease extends wider past the signal light, the top part of the nose (#1, from the edge to the hood) is wider, and the front end of the nose (#2) is not as tall. They are relatively small, but noticeable differences.

kVPCBoc.jpg

xs6WOFJ.jpg

4SZrFZs.jpg
Man, remember all the people defending the duck lip when it first came out, talking about pedestrian regulations and all that? "It would be too low otherwise!"

Well, Tesla made it even lower.

You can draw a line on that blue car wherever you want, but that's not necessarily where the body crease is. (I don't see it in the same place you have it drawn) Having it blend into the curve at the front of the fog light opening is the more logical place for it to go.
I think you are following the line created by the reflection of a split between some tress or bushes and pavement.
Until somebody gets a good close-up of that area without massive reflections we won't know for sure. We shall see.

The number 1 line could be longer, I can't tell, but that could also have been done by shortening the hood as opposed to moving the duck bill.
I think it's harder to detect the side creases on the RC because they're not there. The alpha had a hard crease that formed the entirety of the nose. The RC has the straight horizontal hard crease and the sides blend into the car. There is no real crease to trace which means it's clearly different from the alpha.

I would like Tesla to mold the M3 front bumper with the Tesla emblem as in the new concept roadster.
View attachment 222155
While I think the design on that render isn't great, I like the idea. Make it a little more subtle and you've got a winner. I'd just like to see anything other than that awkward hard cutoff as it is now. It's like Model 3 is exclaiming, "I don't know what to do with my grill!"

dff37c9c0ac5a9ca9913abdb6174bbc969f004bcd9f38b0d12ee39cdb6d9cb07.jpg

Does it look like it's missing on the Passat or nearly every Audi with a similar tail light arrangement?
View attachment 222172
No, but that's not a good comparison. Model 3 has the same back as Model S just with stuff removed. That's why it looks like something is missing. The spot I'm pointing out is literally the same exact shape as the metal strip. Seriously?! Maybe it would be a good design if we didn't have Model S to compare it to, but it looks lazy and unfinished as is. I mean, come on, Tesla, give your game-changing car its own identity! Too much of this car makes it look like the smaller, unwanted brother with health issues.

upload_2017-4-10_20-27-7.png

As you can see, a metal strip doesn't belong anywhere on the Passat. If it did, it would be huge and ridiculous-looking.

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-10_20-19-56.png
    upload_2017-4-10_20-19-56.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
No, but that's not a good comparison. Model 3 has the same back as Model S just with stuff removed. That's why it looks like something is missing. The spot I'm pointing out is literally the same exact shape as the metal strip. Seriously?! Maybe it would be a good design if we didn't have Model S to compare it to, but it looks lazy and unfinished as is. I mean, come on, Tesla, give your game-changing car its own identity! Too much of this car makes it look like the smaller, unwanted brother with health issues.

View attachment 222182

As you can see, a metal strip doesn't belong anywhere on the Passat. If it did, it would be huge and ridiculous-looking.
You are very confident but contradictory.

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur

View attachment 222182

If the Passat had the reverse lights in the middle like the Model S (rather than bottom) then it would be the same thing. I don't really see this as an issue, the same styling was on the alphas for so long and no one really cared.

Audi A4 has same design, I don't see people complaining about it being unfinished.
lead4-2013-audi-a4-fd.jpg

• Don't think the 3 needs a chrome strip on the back. The T emblem and chrome strip would be too cramped. Also need to envision "Model 3" and "55D" (or whatever) on the trunk lid which will break up some of the empty space.
  • Certainly looks like the nose side creases have been widened.
  • Cannot say with any certainty that the front nose is lower, or that any "rounding" of the nose has taken place.

I'd really like to discuss these interior pictures. Something no one has mentioned is that it already looks like Volvo-guy was able to address a Tesla shortcoming: The mixture of materials looks better than any Tesla to day or the M3 prototype. The way the black leather/plastic and faux wood come together with the metal strips looks exactly like the kind of work he did at Volvo for the XC90 and S90, but applied to Tesla tech. Can they get him started on the S and X please?

Picture to explain what you mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.