Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3- No standard dashboard air vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a image displaying how the innovative vent design works. By removing the instrument cluster you can have one seamless slot for airflow. haha. Imagine turning the air to full blast, it would be like riding in a convertible!

View attachment 213119
It would make it feel even more like a speedster if they also had a setting to vary the fan speed based on the car's speed. Now that would be cool. Who knows, maybe someday it will be an Easter egg.

I think VW had an older car like this, I want to say it was the vw phaeton

The Phaeton, VW's first attempt at a competitor for the S class and 7 series, had an interesting HVAC system. It did have conventional vents, which is used for initially cooling/heating the car when you first got in - but once it was close to temperature, it closed those vents and went to the indirect system you're probably thinking of.

I never saw a detailed report on how well that worked out in practice, though.

I'm not sure how many of you watched the Superbowl today - Simply amazing......however More importantly - the Ford commercial.

I am not an advocate of HUD at all, however Ford seems to have encorperated M3 features such as an "ahhemm" decent looking HUD. The vents aren't hidden, however the steering wheel is.

upload_2017-2-5_22-20-20.png

Some are concerned about the possible lack of individual temp control for driver/passenger, but looking at photos and videos from test drives, one can clearly see there are multiple temp controls, one for driver and one for passenger. Good sign!

It appears to me that most of us are concerned/curious as to how we will be able to control the direction of the air. That's not the same as Dual climate control which simply allows the driver to have one temp and he passenger to have another. What good is setting it to your preferred temperature if you can't adjust the airflow to your preferred location?

I never understood why some people I know always need air blowing in their face when on the move. Like a dog. I tell them as much when they are my Passengers. They don't care. They open a window and hang their head out anyway.

One reason I like it is I live in a very hot climate and when I get in the car after a stroll from the store to the car my skin temperature is hot. It is nice to be able to direct air on myself to get cooler. I like to feel moving air. It just isn't in the car I also have very large fans in my house and they run all the time in the summer. I actually shop ceiling fans based on the CFM rating of the fan, that is how much I like it.

Even if the car is able to pre-cool in the summer and be a reasonable temperature when I enter I still would want to be able to direct air on my face and chest when I first get into the car. Now my wife is the polar opposite as me and doesn't want any airflow so she shuts her vents off while I have mine wide open. This is also a concern for me for this reason. With that said when I used to live in San Diego this wasn't as big of an issue but now that I live in Texas it is a huge issue.

Reactions: Canuck
One reason I like it is I live in a very hot climate and when I get in the car after a stroll from the store to the car my skin temperature is hot. It is nice to be able to direct air on myself to get cooler.

Same here. When it's really hot and I get in, the vents are blowing straight at me and it sure is nice. I do the same thing in the winter when it's freezing cold.

Also, with all the rain and humidity we get here on the wet coast, just the standard vent along the base of the windshield can have trouble keeping the window defogged. I sure hope the Model 3 doesn't eliminate that vent in favour of one towards the front of the dash. That might work fine in California but I can't see it working here.

Did you ever think that it might have something to do with your driving?
Well, yes, actually. In my youth I have been admonished by some with, "Ron, you are frightening the passengers..." at least once.

I have chastised passengers for removing their seatbelts as soon as the car is below 5 MPH and before I come to a complete stop. Honestly though, most who do that are fat, or claustrophobic, and just don't like seatbelts at all. But it sometimes seems they are very impatient and can't wait to get out... Or maybe they just have to pee?

But I've not killed any passengers -- yet -- and these days I drive slow enough to drive Miss Daisy. Especially when operating someone else's car.

I'd rather people complain I am going too slow than deal with the piercing screams of, "Oh, $#!+!!! Lord, help me, save me Jesus! Oh my God, I'm gonna DIE!!!" and such, all the time. Better that they shut the [FLOCK] up, go to sleep, and arrive safely without bothering me. Yeah.

:D

• Funny
Reactions: S3XY