Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not recommended and also highest owner satisfaction from Consumer Reports

Model 3 Owners - Would you recommend your car?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm puzzled alongside @dfwatt about the choice of a S4 as the fun toy when you have a Performance Model 3. S4 is a great car, I wanted one, and would be up there with M3 (BMW M3 for those who don't understand heritage), GTR, etc when not in a Tesla world.

I see tons of S4's and they drive like *sugar* when I am in my Volt.

When I'm in my Model 3, those S4 drivers are very polite. Not making lots of noises.. not launching.. not weaving in and out of traffic.

Occasionally, I'll see a turn signal blink.

I think many equate fun to speed or acceleration. I don't think that's true at all. My VW GTI is one of the slowest cars i have owned, but it's the 2nd best when it comes to fun factor on the street (#1 being my E46 ZHP for those into cars). It doesn't matter if I am driving fast or slow, it's a fun car to drive. Now, it sucks driving a stick shift car in LA traffic, therefore I am considering getting a Model 3.

Reactions: kbecks13
I agree with consumer reports
My tesla experience has been subpar. I think tesla is really missing a golden opportunity. Here is my experience so far.
I put my deposit on the car on the same day as Elon Musk’s announcement of the model 3. I was probably one of the first non employee person to do it. I got a the sketch of the car and a thankyou letter from Elon Musk. I waited nearly 3years to buy a model 3 performance. When I picked up the car from Rocklin Tesla I noticed a deep scratch in the paint. The build quality was subpar with panels not matching up with wide panel gaps. Against better judgment I took delivery.
The car ride back was amazing and is quick. Tesla made this flawed car rock!!
. After some time I took the car to get the paint repaired.

Rocklin tesla put me in a model s rental and my journey began.
Rocklin tesla kept my car for 2mos to fix a 2inch scratch. My gosh!
When I came to pick up the car it was returned to me with dirt and filth all over it. A simple 5 dollar car wash was to much to ask for!

On arrival back to my house I washed the car. Removing the dirt relieved another scratch near the one that was repaired and massive amounts of paint over spray on the trunk the rear glass and the left and right rocker panels. My 10yr old could paint better than these jokers.

The next day when i drove my son to school, the car was a making a Shrieking noise coming from the right front wheel. I flat bedded the car to Dublin tesla. Apparently a pebble got behind the right front brake rotor. Tesla fixed the issue and it still happens often when I drive over loose gravel. Design flaw or poor build quality? Not sure.

I decided to get the botched paint job repaired at another Tesla center where the car sits . They are going to first try to do paint correction to fix overspray issue. God help me . If that fails my car will sit with them for a least 3 mos. to get a body shop repair appointment
On observing and talking to other owners and service techs on my various trips to “service” centers . All of tesla products are having flaws, paint, electric,trim, you name it. The model 3 has been the worse hit. My advice to tesla is focus on making a great car better.
Pros:
Amazing performance
Fast
Great tech
Cons:
Inept service centers
Long hold times
Lack of parts, good luck getting a tesla repaired after a minor collision
Poor paint
Poor quality control
Automatic wipers are terrible, come on man!

Its been four months and no wing or badges for my car. Bur wait china and Europe are getting the cars with those parts already installed . Wow

I wish consumer Reports withdrew there recommendations earlier. It would have save allot of headache for us earlier owners

• Informative
Reactions: OutofThyme
Folks, karma is a bitch.

No less than 24 hours after starting this thread I am in the middle of fixing my Model 3.

I am removing parts and performing intubation.

Not sure if I can recommend anymore.

2F474280-10AC-452B-8CCE-37C4C9F75183.jpeg

9BA900F2-380D-48F2-A882-FEBB30A3A6B9.jpeg

I actually can't think of a NEW car company that's hit the scene without all these same complaints and WORSE. I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember when Hyundai first came to the US, but I can tell you that you won't find a single one of their first 10 or 15 years of production on the road now. They were so bad that some banks wouldn't make a loan on one because they couldn't get close to their money back on a repo. Their cars are highly rated now. Even Honda and Toyota have a similar history. Their first cars were crap, way worse than any Tesla. For a company that is basically just now getting into the mass market I think Tesla is doing really well. Compared to other car companies coming into the market for the first time Tesla's quality is pretty much amazing. I believe they're more a victim of their own success than anything else. If they can make for another couple years these problems will pass. Anyway, I'm pretty certain by the time my M3 is ready for replacement I'll either be dead OR the Mxx will be light years ahead of the M3 and rock solid.

I intubate people all the time at work but never my Tesla Model 3 Performance; I had a similar issue with one tire that lost pressure, was a gash on the inside of the tire, had to be replaced, par for the course but not a Tesla issue, it's an issue with sport tires and potholes and all the other stuff out there that happens to cars which is kinda normal.

I intubate people all the time at work but never my Tesla Model 3 Performance; I had a similar issue with one tire that lost pressure, was a gash on the inside of the tire, had to be replaced, par for the course but not a Tesla issue, it's an issue with sport tires and potholes and all the other stuff out there that happens to cars which is kinda normal.
I'm pretty happy I just have the standard 18" wheels.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Seemed very straightforward and fair to me.
Robin

Hmm, they normally update reliability once a year. They updated it once for adding Summer 2018 data but only did so now in early 2019. They don't plan to update data twice a year going forward.

If they made it clear how dated the information was on every article it'd read differently. As is I find it misleading not not fair.

CBS News Technology Analyst Larry Magid speaks with Consumer Reports Auto editor Patrick Olsen on why the magazine pulled its coveted "Recommended" rating from the Tesla Model 3

Consumer Reports Auto editor Patrick Olsen on why Tesla Model 3 lost the "Recommended" rating

My commentary notes:

Consumer Reports did not do a sufficient job justifying their "Not Recommended" rating.

The interviewer is great. Owns a Tesla Model 3 and is very knowledgeable about his car and how Tesla's "work."

Interviewer asked very reasonable questions that made sense. How can such a well regarded car not be recommended. CR response was not sufficient.

Consumer reports is going to wait ONE MORE YEAR to verify that Tesla fixed the issues. The owners were surveyed in Summer of 2018.

Paint/Trim/Electronics/Glass was the issues behind the rating. Back in the day, engine, transmissions were the issues of concern. The Tesla equivalent is motors, inverters and batteries. No complaints about those!

Consumer Reports LOVES Toyota and their very methodical and minor incremental improvements. Opposite of Tesla - and where is our Toyota EV?

I think the very modest price drops in TSLA reflect the overall inconsequentialness of this downgrade.

Thanks. Interesting.

CR has a problem with the English language and their inability to distinguish between fit/ finish and reliability.

This CR guy stated that the main problems reported were cosmetic fit and finish issues and audio problems. Those really have nothing to do with what most people mean by "reliability."

CBS News Technology Analyst Larry Magid speaks with Consumer Reports Auto editor Patrick Olsen on why the magazine pulled its coveted "Recommended" rating from the Tesla Model 3

Consumer Reports Auto editor Patrick Olsen on why Tesla Model 3 lost the "Recommended" rating

My commentary notes:

Consumer Reports did not do a sufficient job justifying their "Not Recommended" rating.

The interviewer is great. Owns a Tesla Model 3 and is very knowledgeable about his car and how Tesla's "work."

Interviewer asked very reasonable questions that made sense. How can such a well regarded car not be recommended. CR response was not sufficient.

Consumer reports is going to wait ONE MORE YEAR to verify that Tesla fixed the issues. The owners were surveyed in Summer of 2018.

Paint/Trim/Electronics/Glass was the issues behind the rating. Back in the day, engine, transmissions were the issues of concern. The Tesla equivalent is motors, inverters and batteries. No complaints about those!

Consumer Reports LOVES Toyota and their very methodical and minor incremental improvements. Opposite of Tesla - and where is our Toyota EV?

I think the very modest price drops in TSLA reflect the overall inconsequentialness of this downgrade.

Model 3 is not recommended due to reliability concerns by owners, yet is the most satisfying car to all owners.

Consumer Reports reverses itself again, no longer recommends Tesla Model 3

Tesla's Model 3 was named the most satisfying car by Consumer Reports

--

This just tells me the Model 3 is very hot, yet also very crazy. I do a lot of economic analysis but at the end of the day most decisions boil down to:

Does the HOT outweigh the CRAZY?

So Consumer reports doesn't recommend the car because they wouldn't recognize a prime Liz Hurley or a prime David Beckham twerking right in front of them because they are blind, need click-bait controversy, dumb or all of the above.

What say you fellow TMC'ers?

Most Model 3 owners and especially people on this forum are Tesla fans. So for them, the hot outweighs the crazy. But they will buy a Tesla regardless of CR.

The average buyer is different, though. And for them the appeal of a Tesla might not outweigh the reliability issues. But who knows.

In the end CR has criterias on when to recommend a product and when not to. You can’t recommend something with bad reliability, even if it’s really good everywhere else. Not if it’s a car, that people might have to keep out of warranty, or really depend on.

I see it as a chance for Tesla to improve. The people that love it will still buy it and those who don’t love it enough to be convinced by the bad reliability data, should not buy it. That’s also good for Tesla, since they won’t alienate future potential customers.

• Disagree
Reactions: CarlK
Thanks. Interesting.

CR has a problem with the English language and their inability to distinguish between fit/ finish and reliability.

This CR guy stated that the main problems reported were cosmetic fit and finish issues and audio problems. Those really have nothing to do with what most people mean by "reliability."
I would not be too worried about being left stranded at the side of the road by a drivetrain/battery fault. I would be very worried that a minor-ish issue (take your pick) would leave me “stranded” at the service center while Tesla found the time, the staff and the parts to correct it.
Robin

The times I've needed service I got ranger or I got a loaner or they picked up my car and brought it back and I never noticed it was gone. Many other things to worry about and my Tesla is definitely not one of them.

I would not be too worried about being left stranded at the side of the road by a drivetrain/battery fault. I would be very worried that a minor-ish issue (take your pick) would leave me “stranded” at the service center while Tesla found the time, the staff and the parts to correct it.
Robin

The times I've needed service I got ranger or I got a loaner or they picked up my car and brought it back and I never noticed it was gone. Many other things to worry about and my Tesla is definitely not one of them.
Lots of anecdata on both sides of this. Some cars leave Fremont just about perfect. Many are fine. Some should never have made it through QC but get shipped anyway. Your results will vary accordingly.
That said, when parts are required, many owners experience aggravation, delay and disappointment.
Early adopters are OK with this. Everyone else (including CR) not so much.
Robin

Reactions: dfwatt
Did CR say anything about parts delays?

Anything other than anecdotes to show tsla part delay is worse than industry avg?

Lots of anecdata on both sides of this. Some cars leave Fremont just about perfect. Many are fine. Some should never have made it through QC but get shipped anyway. Your results will vary accordingly.
That said, when parts are required, many owners experience aggravation, delay and disappointment.
Early adopters are OK with this. Everyone else (including CR) not so much.
Robin

Did CR say anything about parts delays?

Anything other than anecdotes to show tsla part delay is worse than industry avg?
Nope. No information. The real frustration with CR is not that they report this stuff it's that their actual stats are really impossible to get. Add to that the small sample size, the long interval between resampling, and you have them posting on stuff that is already out of date, and even potentially misleading and wrong in terms of the current state of affairs. Plus as others have commented their notion of reliability and how that extends to things that really aren't strictly speaking about being able to drive the car or not adds to the sense that CR has a lot of work to do. At least as much as Tesla

CR is a good resource for finding cars to get you from point a to point b in a reliable fashion. Probably not the best source of information if your looking for other aspects. That said I find they do have some good testing and teslas do have some issues that are concerning. I mean you can't even buy a body panel or door panel clip from tesla so when you do have to take it in for something it leaves you a bit more concerned.

I remember when truck shopping back in 2005 the old smaller Tundra was number one. It was a good reliable truck for sure, but it also had the lowest towing capacity, lowest hauling weight, lowest HP and torque, and smallest cabin space of all F150 / Full size trucks. How could this truck get number one when those things are typically what truck owners looks for in specs?

This made me realize years ago, that CR is a good resource, but it's not the end all. Especially for cars and trucks.
If I'm looking for a washing machine, or refrigerator CR is probably a good resource, for cars it's worth a look but I'll likely look elsewhere for advice. I don't pay for a consumer reports subscription anymore.

Reactions: MXWing
If I'm looking for a washing machine, or refrigerator CR is probably a good resource, for cars it's worth a look but I'll likely look elsewhere for advice. I don't pay for a consumer reports subscription anymore.

CR just went Bill Cosby on us. While they were pretty much irrelevant at the turn of the century they were always "lovable" because of what they supposedly stood for.

I would shut my mouth if tons of us Model 3 owners were disabled because batteries died, motors died, things that made their cars inoperable.

Having the car in the shop for a month because of paint and panel gaps is annoying AF - I don't dispute that but that doesn't make the car unreliable in any functional metric.

There's enough resources to get reviews other than CR.

Plus as others have commented their notion of reliability and how that extends to things that really aren't strictly speaking about being able to drive the car or not adds to the sense that CR has a lot of work to do. At least as much as Tesla

I admire your ability to cut through bull *sugar* in so many of your postings.

Reactions: CarlK and dfwatt
To the extent that the faults that drew CR's attention (fit, trim, paint, in-car electronics, cold-weather behaviors, broken glass, etc) require a trip to a Tesla service Center and obtaining replacement parts (as many if not most of them do), Tesla's service/parts issue is something every prospective Model 3 buyer should carefully weigh. Not a big deal if it's the family toy. Different deal if it's essential transportation. This is why I don't suggest Model 3 to friends who are curious. I do suggest they keep watch for improvements in Q/A, parts and service though.
Nice "explainer" here:
Robin

Reactions: seattlite2004
So here's some details on how CR does their reliability ratings:

"Consumer Reports members reported on any serious problems they had with their vehicles during the past 12 months that they considered serious because of cost, failure, safety, or downtime, in any of the trouble spots included in the table below."

So "downtime" is one of the factors, and in the survey takers' opinion, it was "serious". I'm guessing a lot of owners checked that off after waiting weeks/months to get paint fixed, screens repaired, etc.

"This score shows whether the model had more or fewer problems overall than the average model of that year, calculated from the total number of problems reported by members in all trouble spots. Because problems with the engine major, engine cooling, transmission major, and drive system can be serious and expensive to repair, our calculations give extra weight to problems in those areas."

In other words, they don't weight them all the same - stuff that gets you from point A to B is more heavily weighted than paint/trim.

• Informative
Reactions: vickh and CarlK