Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 not recommended and also highest owner satisfaction from Consumer Reports

Model 3 Owners - Would you recommend your car?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m amazed at the hysteria over this. Tesla is basically midpack and has plenty of work to do, but to imply they’re some sort of outlier is misinformation.

9F97FFEA-8291-4AF2-84FF-59C5406DCC8E.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: caskater47
I don't know if its currently true, but I read something like 90% of Tesla owners will buy only Tesla's going forward.

The ones holding on to ICE are the cultists, not the Teslarians.
I can only speak for myself here but I would rephrase your statement.

As an EV owner I will only buy another EV car moving forward.

I also am still holding on to my gas guzzling S4.

My Model 3 is my rifle. My S4 is my gun. The Model 3 is for commuting, the S4 is for fun.

I will buy whatever is the best EV car in terms of price/perf that exists at the time. If that means another Tesla then so be it. But if there's a true alternative that means similar value with better service I'll gladly pick the other. By the time im ready in five years I'm betting there will be some good options on the table.

My Model 3 is my rifle. My S4 is my gun. The Model 3 is for commuting, the S4 is for fun.

I will buy whatever is the best EV car in terms of price/perf that exists at the time. If that means another Tesla then so be it. But if there's a true alternative that means similar value with better service I'll gladly pick the other. By the time im ready in five years I'm betting there will be some good options on the table.
Don't get me wrong, an Audi S4 is a great car, but how can the S4 be your fun toy when the Tesla Model 3 a$$ whips it?

Reactions: MXWing
Don't get me wrong, an Audi S4 is a great car, but how can the S4 be your fun toy when the Tesla Model 3 a$$ whips it?

I am likely going to buy a Model 3 soon, but I am also not letting go my VW GTI. As good of a car the Model 3 is, the GTI is a much better driver's car. The driving position, the seat-of-pants feel, the steering feel, and car-driver as one type of feels are just better in GTI than Model 3. But Model 3 is definitely a much better commuter than my GTI.

I also got a crack in the back window on a freezing cold morning. Someone said because the car is electric the defroster heats so quick and the rapid change in temperature causes it to crack like hot coffee in an ice cold glass. But besides that I love my Model 3. Tesla swapped the window out quickly and easily.

• Informative
I don't consider myself a Tesla cultist either as I call BS on Elon/Tesla when I see it. However, I would feel pretty bad if I was excommunicated from Elon's church, my Tesla's were taken away from me, and I was stuck driving only drive cars from BMW/VAG and watch others enjoy their Model Y, Pickups and whatever else is up Tesla's sleeve.

It's not a lie, not hubris, and not swinging off Elon's nuts when I say Tesla has NO COMPETITION.

I don't know if its currently true, but I read something like 90% of Tesla owners will buy only Tesla's going forward.

If Model 3 owners feel the same way, that's MAINSTREAM thinking.

You are missing out! You can get some MAJOR air time swinging from those. To deal with what he has had to over the years, I’m not surprised. Most if not 99.9% of the people here would have buckled long ago.

But in all seriousness, I too am sure to point out the negative as well as the positive when talking to prospective buyers.

I am likely going to buy a Model 3 soon, but I am also not letting go my VW GTI. As good of a car the Model 3 is, the GTI is a much better driver's car. The driving position, the seat-of-pants feel, the steering feel, and car-driver as one type of feels are just better in GTI than Model 3. But Model 3 is definitely a much better commuter than my GTI.
This.

Yes, my P3D is much faster than my S4 but Tesla's aren't proven as a great track car yet. And since I have a Stealth it's unproven entirely until Track Mode is released. The P3D is a great daily driver though. The S4 has great drive feel and can move around a track like a champ. Also, I still love the raw growl of the V8 under its hood. They're both great cars and I look forward to putting the P3D through paces through the local mountains and track.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark

Back in 2016 I got a Model X because a nationwide charging network was already in place. I was not comfortable spending tons of money into a car that realistically just lets me tool around my county.

In 5 years, its possible for someone else to match the CURRENT Model 3. I said "possible" but no guarantees. Taycan right now looks to only be caught up to 2015 era P85s in some areas.

Where will Tesla be in five years?

If VAG or Toyota was 100% ALL IN on nation wide charging network, can it be done in 5 years? NO NETWORK IS NO CAR FOR ME.

I'm puzzled alongside @dfwatt about the choice of a S4 as the fun toy when you have a Performance Model 3. S4 is a great car, I wanted one, and would be up there with M3 (BMW M3 for those who don't understand heritage), GTR, etc when not in a Tesla world.

I see tons of S4's and they drive like *sugar* when I am in my Volt.

When I'm in my Model 3, those S4 drivers are very polite. Not making lots of noises.. not launching.. not weaving in and out of traffic.

Occasionally, I'll see a turn signal blink.

Reactions: caskater47
I also got a crack in the back window on a freezing cold morning. Someone said because the car is electric the defroster heats so quick and the rapid change in temperature causes it to crack like hot coffee in an ice cold glass. But besides that I love my Model 3. Tesla swapped the window out quickly and easily.

I'm fairly certain that someone pulled that out of their a$$. My '12 Volt has been through at least 6 Maryland winters, and the back hatch glass is still like brand new.

You are missing out! You can get some MAJOR air time swinging from those. To deal with what he has had to over the years, I’m not surprised. Most if not 99.9% of the people here would have buckled long ago.

What really kills me is Elon's questionable choices in company and self inflicted pwnage.

Getting into fights with British expats?
Funding Secured?
Crawling into the lions den / aka granting interview to tabloid papers.
SEC criticisms?
Amber Heard?
Grimes + Azelia baggage?
Passing the pipe on JRE? Elon got WARNED ahead of time even.

F that - hook up with a classy lady like Mackenzie Bezos.

a7824e6s3q921.png

NO NETWORK IS NO CAR FOR ME.

What it comes down to for me. My wife is keeping her ICE and we have needed it at times. (Like college tours 5 hours away and back home in one day) Love the S but would give it right back w/o the supercharger network.
And this is and will always be Tesla's advantage until another fast charging network and car capable to handle it is made.

Back in 2016 I got a Model X because a nationwide charging network was already in place. I was not comfortable spending tons of money into a car that realistically just lets me tool around my county.

In 5 years, its possible for someone else to match the CURRENT Model 3. I said "possible" but no guarantees. Taycan right now looks to only be caught up to 2015 era P85s in some areas.

Where will Tesla be in five years?

If VAG or Toyota was 100% ALL IN on nation wide charging network, can it be done in 5 years? NO NETWORK IS NO CAR FOR ME.

I'm puzzled alongside @dfwatt about the choice of a S4 as the fun toy when you have a Performance Model 3. S4 is a great car, I wanted one, and would be up there with M3 (BMW M3 for those who don't understand heritage), GTR, etc when not in a Tesla world.

I see tons of S4's and they drive like *sugar* when I am in my Volt.

When I'm in my Model 3, those S4 drivers are very polite. Not making lots of noises.. not launching.. not weaving in and out of traffic.

Occasionally, I'll see a turn signal blink.
See my answer above. I've had my S4 a long time. Longer than most of the other a*holes in the street. I still love it and it'll always have a place in my heart that the P3D can't replace no matter how great a car it is.

This time next week though my P3D will have new brakes and wheels. Really looking forward to it

I don't consider myself a Tesla cultist either as I call BS on Elon/Tesla when I see it. However, I would feel pretty bad if I was excommunicated from Elon's church, my Tesla's were taken away from me, and I was stuck driving only drive cars from BMW/VAG and watch others enjoy their Model Y, Pickups and whatever else is up Tesla's sleeve.

It's not a lie, not hubris, and not swinging off Elon's nuts when I say Tesla has NO COMPETITION.

If Model 3 owners feel the same way, that's MAINSTREAM thinking.

I'm pretty skeptical that 90% of people who bought a Model 3 will only buy a Tesla moving forward. Tesla has way way way too many holes in their portfolio for that to even be possible.

Case in point, wife wants/needs micro-SUV. Tesla does not make one yet. I'm getting her a Countryman and leasing it for couch cushion money.

What really kills me is Elon's questionable choices in company and self inflicted pwnage.

Getting into fights with British expats?
Funding Secured?
Crawling into the lions den / aka granting interview to tabloid papers.
SEC criticisms?
Amber Heard?
Grimes + Azelia baggage?
Passing the pipe on JRE? Elon got WARNED ahead of time even.

F that - hook up with a classy lady like Mackenzie Bezos.

a7824e6s3q921.png

I do agree. I wish he would stop doing self inflicted damage.

Model 3 is not recommended due to reliability concerns by owners, yet is the most satisfying car to all owners.

Consumer Reports reverses itself again, no longer recommends Tesla Model 3

Tesla's Model 3 was named the most satisfying car by Consumer Reports

--

This just tells me the Model 3 is very hot, yet also very crazy. I do a lot of economic analysis but at the end of the day most decisions boil down to:

Does the HOT outweigh the CRAZY?

So Consumer reports doesn't recommend the car because they wouldn't recognize a prime Liz Hurley or a prime David Beckham twerking right in front of them because they are blind, need click-bait controversy, dumb or all of the above.

What say you fellow TMC'ers?
Someone outbid Tesla for the Consumers Report Recommendation.

@"voip-ninja, post: 3414755, member: 9361 "I think the Tesla cult suffered a fatal wound with the introduction of the Model 3 and with the MR the cult is now on its deathbed.

"SR comes along and sells a million units and you won't see too much cultish fawning over it, it's going to get just as much flak as other automakers get when they put out shoddy work."

While the transition from boutique to mainstream product MAY reduce the percentage of buyers that have 'cult-like' fawning over Tesla, I am not sure that's true around the Model 3, simply because of the percentage of people who indicate, in apparent gross contradiction to CR's reliability data, that they wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I think the superiority of EV tech, totally ASIDE from the ecological issues, may 'convert' a lot of first time buyers - the Model 3 is a revelation in so many ways, reliability aside. It certainly has converted us, even, very surprisingly, my technophobic wife. Long story short, a lot of Model 3 owners will still be Tesla converts. But they do need to get their QC act together, and there is every evidence that they agree, and are moving in that direction. Not fast enough to please everyone, for sure.
Been in the shop 3 times for rattles and creeking in the doors and had a tesla ranger come out and fix a lose wiring harness and felt tape in place another harness that may have been broken, missing a clip. The ranger told me he thinks it was an updated door panel.

It's better, but still creeks and rattles on all but the smoothest roads. Having a passenger in the passenger seat seems to eliminate it or reduce the noises but still it's a bit ridiculous.

I love that I already knew the names I was going to see when I clicked on the (as of this post) 8 votes for “No and I don’t own one...”
Solid.
Trolling forums is the preferred occupation of the chronically bored and empty in the internet age. If they can stir some people up and score points against imagined enemies and adversaries, it alleviates their boredom and emptiness at least briefly.

Reactions: MXWing and TQCLove