Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 (Numeral)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if it's because the 3 bars match the E in the Tesla logo, possibly leading people to feel it's a Model E instead of Model 3, and as such pissing Ford off and they raised another stink about it behind the scenes.

Personally, I think the whole "Ford throwing a fit about the Model E" is absurd and childish anyway. Ford hasn't used any designations similar to that in a 100 years, and I seriously doubt they ever would. It was merely a way "rain on Tesla's parade".

Reactions: Lem89
I don't personally like the change but I am pretty sure it is more to do with the ability to patent the E. It would be really strange to think that it has to do with search hits. If you search for model 3 or e you will still get hits for Tesla.

But now they may have to worry about BMW coming after them as their best seller is the 3 Series and the performance version is the M3.

Ford has a current series of vans like the E-350. Similar to the F-xxx pickups. But you don't refer to them as a "Model F-150 pickup". I think the E came from the Econoline name.
Ford E-Series - Wikipedia
[/QUOTE]
I was going to reply that they don't make the E-series anymore, but apparently you can still get a E-series cab on a bare chassis. The complete Econoline van is no longer on the market, though. Of course, Ford also likes to bring back old names years later, but E-Series doesn't have the same cachet as Fairlane and Galaxy

2000px-Indian_numerals_100AD.svg.png

Brahmi Numerals (India)

I'm certain this predates the 'hamburger' icon by at least a few centuries.

2000px-Indian_numerals_100AD.svg.png

Brahmi Numerals (India)

I'm certain this predates the 'hamburger' icon by at least a few centuries.

Yes, that is true, but how does an average person (non-tech, non-forum member, etc) type or query such a thing? Or do they just call it the Model with three lines? You would be surprised how many people in Canada and the US have never even seen or heard of Tesla.

There is a reason why a large number of manufacturers have moved away from physical names for their models and moved to an alpha-numeric identification system for its models. Also, with Tesla being a global company, it eliminates the need to have different names in different markets. Prime example is Toyota - same car, many different names globally (Corolla, Auris, Axio, Altis, etc)

James Brown, James Bond, Jason Bourne, Jack Bauer... What's in a name? The ability to be instantly recognized.

Oh, I understand why Acura decided to follow Infiniti and Lexus in adopting the alphanumeric soup means of naming their vehicles that was made a standard by European 'luxury' marques. It was to put the brand at the forefront, over the specific vehicles. I still think it was a mistake.

Because in the segment Acura alone had established names for their vehicles: LEGEND, INTEGRA, and VIGOR were all STRONG representatives of the brand. But TSX/TLX, RSX, and RL/RLX don't command the same attention, and sales have lagged accordingly. Even the NSX has lost its identity, after years of being left on a shelf to gather dust, only to return as an oversized, overweight, overpriced farce of itself.

Model 3 will be OK. Tesla doesn't have to be 'average' to find buyers. And neither will Model ≡.