Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Oil Filter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone tell me if there is a cross-compatible oil filter for a Model 3? They use the same part front and back and to my eyes it looks very similar to a Subaru EJ25 item. Surely Tesla are just rebranding something off the shelf here. Any clues?
Probably. Not sure what it would be though.

Curious, what is the reason to change it?

Don't forget to replace the blinker fluid.
Unlike blinker fluid, there are actually oil filters in Model 3s. LOL

4F94DCDD-0412-4D69-9D77-4419660F1E02.jpeg

Many don’t buy the lifetime, aka sealed for life, interval. I sure don’t. Car companies are under a lot of pressure to increase maintenance intervals and they only make more money when parts fail from extended drain intervals.

It shouldn’t be long before the aftermarket starts listing filters compatible with the Model 3 given how many of the cars are being sold.

• Funny
Reactions: Theraven and Zoomit
Many don’t buy the lifetime, aka sealed for life, interval. I sure don’t. Car companies are under a lot of pressure to increase maintenance intervals and they only make more money when parts fail from extended drain intervals.

It shouldn’t be long before the aftermarket starts listing filters compatible with the Model 3 given how many of the cars are being sold.
Funny anecdote: My boss' dad (85) who is well off (owns a home in St Barts and a plane w/pilot) and was in the land development business owning many trucks and heavy equipment and now has at least 4 cars, a truck and a couple of tractors.

He has NEVER had a single oil change on any vehicle he has owned and said he has never had single problem related to it. Says it is just a money grab and never once fell for it. Said he has had many cars go over 100K with original oil/filter.

Funny anecdote: My boss' dad (85) who is well off (owns a home in St Barts and a plane w/pilot) and was in the land development business owning many trucks and heavy equipment and now has at least 4 cars, a truck and a couple of tractors.

He has NEVER had a single oil change on any vehicle he has owned and said he has never had single problem related to it. Says it is just a money grab and never once fell for it. Said he has had many cars go over 100K with original oil/filter.

I think we all know there's more to that story! Is your boss' dad known for lying about a lot of other things?

As a former maintenance engineer, i can 100% tell you that is a terrible idea. Metal particulates accumulate in the oil and wear additives break down over time, resulting in worse lubricity and build up of abrasive particles within the lubricant (the opposite of what you want!).

As I recall, there is no spec to ever change the filter or the oil on a Model 3. I assume that's because it's sealed, and unlike an ICE, there's no crap blowing by the rings and contaminating the oil.

Still a good idea to change it eventually, one could even make the case that it's a good idea to change after first few months or maybe 1 year of ownership after gears have meshed and worn off any small asperities which can gather in the oil and/or filter. Similar reason that ICE cars typically recommend an early oil change for a new car.

That is funny indeed.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ

Ask anyone who's worked on cars and pretty much all of them will tell you this is a terrible idea.

Harsh! His boss' dad is clearly a really rich guy who has people who took all his cars out for service when he was out driving something else, or away in the plane.

Harsh but true. He’s 85. 50 years ago, motor oil was not very advanced and if you didn’t change it every 3,000 miles, IT WOULD TURN TO SLUDGE. Not, it would turn to sludge for everyone but this one guy. At 100k miles, oil back then would basically be jello and his engines would have blown. So maybe he doesn’t realize he’s lying because at 85 the past isn’t so clear to him today, but his stories about never having oil changes without damage are flat out not true (aka lies).

Reactions: Theraven