Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model 3 Order Tracking Spreadsheet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think it's price. I have friend that started from scratch 3 weeks ago and got his car 2 weeks ago. Because his configuration is surplus (RWD) right now.

White Seats, RWD or Performance will get a car quicker regardless of pricey options or how long you've been in the queue.
Well, we ordered white seats, performance and all options but full self driving, and we're still waiting since June 30 order. Have heard nothing yet. And we're in CA, close to the factory.

Totally blown away by the speed in which I got a response - placed an order [MSM Model 3, Long Range] on Saturday, received a call on Monday saying my car was ready for "early delivery" in exactly one week's time. While working out scheduling, I asked if it was worthwhile picking it up from the Fremont Delivery Center - I was told that home delivery is a preferred option if I could choose it... they apparently delivered 7,000 cars on Friday!

• Informative
Reactions: avoigt
Totally blown away by the speed in which I got a response - placed an order [MSM Model 3, Long Range] on Saturday, received a call on Monday saying my car was ready for "early delivery" in exactly one week's time. While working out scheduling, I asked if it was worthwhile picking it up from the Fremont Delivery Center - I was told that home delivery is a preferred option if I could choose it... they apparently delivered 7,000 cars on Friday!

This is no new news that rear wheel drive is available instantly (with the logistics involved). What can't be real is the 7,000 cars delivered on Friday.. as it is impossible for that to happen even if all the 75 Delivery centers worked 24x7 on that day. Based on the tracker, there is no evidence of that happening as well. May be 700 but not 7000.

Reactions: Randy7fx
Was this for a performance model? I cannot understand what's taking so long for ours, a performance/awd, which we ordered 6/30. I'm about ready to cancel ours and reorder. Ours is still showing the edit button on our portal.

I can't seem to add my VIN. I was just issued 0070xx. Yes, that's right, I got something in the 7000's even through I configured in September 2018!
vin.png

I wonder how hard it would be to create a chart based on the 70 different possible hardware combinations. If you broke it out by those 70 combinations would we see a high % of certain combinations were fulfilled and then other combinations they have never run? I wonder...

Looking at my config (White/AWD/Black Int./18") on @Troy spreadsheet a total of 32 out of 116 have been delivered (27.6%), but only 1 of those was to a non-reservation holder who also is a non-owner. So if you assume that was an anomaly and they are trying to get them to reservation holders, then the percent delivered to reservations holders was 33% of 94 orders.

That said, it's down to only 36 of us who have a reservation and zero contact from Tesla (38.2%) of those 94

Diving deeper, 26% of deliveries didn't have EAP while the average for this config ordered w/o EAP is 23.4% so adding EAP doesn't increase the chance of you getting your car, at least with my config.

Based on the scatter on the VIN Queue page there is not a significant connection between when someone gave their $2500 config money and got their car. Up until late some time on July 27th people were not able to order until their reservation positioned opened it up to them. All this is predicated on the data quality... are people keeping this spreadsheet updated when they get a delivery date, VIN, or delivery?

Just received a message to look at Troy's spreadsheet for September Model 3 orders. It looks like the total is 39 as of today (12 RWD, 17 AWD, and 10 P) from data of people waiting for VINs. Since I believe Troy is only getting input for about 3% of all new orders that puts the month to date total around 1,325. Even a 2% penetration is only 1,950 new orders or a pace of about 4,000 for the month. I think this makes a strong case for my prediction that Tesla will open up configurations in Europe next month, or else they will introduce of the SR in Q4 for the U.S. and Canada. If not, we should expect RWD production to come to a near halt soon. There are only 24 RWD orders left to fill on Troy's spreadsheet. At 2% that is 1,200 orders.

Last edited:
No. The only difference is between RWD and AWD (LRD & P) which is the 8th character. RWD has A and AWD has B. More details here: Tesla Model Year 2018 VIN Decoder

VIN assignments are not sequential because Tesla wants to obscure the day to day production numbers. Therefore, for example, cars produced on the same day might have a VIN in the 50,000 range or 75,000 range. If you get a low VIN, it doesn't mean your car was produced a while ago and it was sitting in a parking lot. See the chart 'VINs vs manufacture date' in VINs!B87 here.

Btw, Tesla is not over 100K Model 3's now. Total production so far is 73,421 Model 3s. See the Production tab here. Tesla is intentionally picking VINs from a wide range to obscure the actual production numbers.
Troy. On your spreadsheet RWD orders awaiting a VIN are down to 24 in the U.S. Total new orders for September reported to you are just 39. Do you still feel Tesla will hit your numbers for production and deliveries for Q3?

Troy. On your spreadsheet RWD orders awaiting a VIN are down to 24 in the U.S. Total new orders for September reported to you are just 39. Do you still feel Tesla will hit your numbers for production and deliveries for Q3?
I think what is getting captured isn’t a reduction in production or deliveries, but rather a change in process. They started delaying the timing of when they give a customer a VIN. So that means we should see less VIN’s for a couple weeks, but it’s not that less people heard from Tesla necessarily.

I ordered a blue rear wheel drive with EAP on Sunday at 7pm and was just told today that car was available that was in transit and could pick up Friday.
Vin 077927
I know nothing of vins and approx build date. Is this just dumb luck or is this an older vin that might be someone else’s reject?
Advanced thanks for any insight

same issue here.... I order 3 weeks ago Solid Black RWD and just got a stupid low VIN number 0093xx. Also it worries me that the car is ALREADY at the delivery center. Pulled up the VIN# on United Road and it shows the vehicle was delivered in March, and it's now September.....

same issue here.... I order 3 weeks ago Solid Black RWD and just got a stupid low VIN number 0093xx. Also it worries me that the car is ALREADY at the delivery center. Pulled up the VIN# on United Road and it shows the vehicle was delivered in March, and it's now September.....

something doesn't add up.. 6 months lag is too long.. hope Tesla is not recycling demo cars to go green in Q3.. proceed with caution and if you are not happy/comfortable reject it and they might do another quick match for you.

Reactions: morepizza
something doesn't add up.. 6 months lag is too long.. hope Tesla is not recycling demo cars to go green in Q3.. proceed with caution and if you are not happy/comfortable reject it and they might do another quick match for you.

I'm getting this VIN in September: 5YJ3E1EA2JF0070xx

I can think of 3 possibilities:

1. This was an unused VIN batch (unlikely for 6 months)
2. This was a show room model (unlikely because they've only recently started getting floor models)
3. This is a substantial rework which required 6-months (most likely)

I will go over every millimeter of this car. I will reject the car if:

0. The Monroney sticker shows a build date not congruent with installed interior
1. It has the noisy windshield and they don't agree to replace
2. It has the G1 seats and they don't agree to replace
3. The battery range estimator shows more than 2~3% degradation resulting from improper battery maintenance (this may be hard to tell on the showroom floor)
4. Body panels have paint blending issues.

IDGAF the color of the car, mine is the base configuration. I'll take any color they have on the lot if it makes things faster.