Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - P Plate Prohibited Vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*see images*

In Victoria, the Model 3 SR+ is a prohibited vehicle for P1 and P2 Plate drivers. The Model S standard and Model X standard are permitted vehicles. Taking a look at the order pages for both vehicles, the Model 3 has significantly worse performance than a Model S standard. From what I know, a Learner driver can actually drive anything they want (crazy when you think about it). My question is why is a Model 3 SR+ banned but not a Model S standard when one is much slower than the other. Perhaps there is something I'm not taking into consideration but surely this can't be right. Does anyone know the answer or who to contact about this? Also, if they don't unban the M3, is there any chance to get an exemption given that I would have driven the vehicle for 2 years already on my L plates and it is a family vehicle and not one designed for performance? All responses are appreciated.

Cheers

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.26.08 AM .png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.26.08 AM .png
    182.1 KB · Views: 673
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.28.24 AM .png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.28.24 AM .png
    436.2 KB · Views: 346
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.28.36 AM .png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-16 at 11.28.36 AM .png
    248.8 KB · Views: 431
  • Informative
Reactions: Blue heaven
This has been an issue for me too. I’d like the flexibility for my kids to be able to drive the Model 3, but the power-to-weight ratio is 130.3 (refer CS). If they release the LR RWD, it’s 122 which will be OK, even though it has better performance. The standard range S and X are below 130, so they are OK. I have a P85D which is definitely out of the ballpark, but I’m happy to move to something less powerful, so I was hoping to get the ratio below 130 kW/t. CS and Wikipedia are good sources for the ratio numbers.

This has been an issue for me too. I’d like the flexibility for my kids to be able to drive the Model 3, but the power-to-weight ratio is 130.3 (refer CS). If they release the LR RWD, it’s 122 which will be OK, even though it has better performance. The standard range S and X are below 130, so they are OK. I have a P85D which is definitely out of the ballpark, but I’m happy to move to something less powerful, so I was hoping to get the ratio below 130 kW/t. CS and Wikipedia are good sources for the ratio numbers.

Goes to show how stupid those figures are then doesn’t it? An S75D which is faster and heavier (therefore more dangerous to handle in a stupid teen driving over speed limit situation) but yet is more acceptable than a 3 which is slower and lighter....stupid rules...really dumb...maybe we should concentrate on ensuring our kids are trained to drive better through mandatory advanced track driver training? Teaches how to handle a car in all situations but also teaches understanding and appreciation therefore greater maturity when first driving without adult supervision.

When I registered my first model s, which was (I’m led to believe) the 2nd in Adelaide, motor reg didnt know what to do. They decided to call it zero cylinders, which made it a gutless slow car ideally suited to learners. I suspect that decision was made around the country simply because the authorities were clueless, and nobody bothered to fix it. Now they at least know a bit about EV’s.

Just going to revive this thread. Model 3 SR+ is still a P-Plate banned vehicle in numerous states but it is based on some contentious statistics. Keep in mind vehicles over 130p/w ratio are banned. See below:

Wikipedia - 211kw power, 1,645 kg weight = 128.267 power/weight ratio = should be allowed
EVspecifications - 202kw power, 1645 kg weight = 122.796 power/weight ratio = should be allowed
RVCS (Australian Department) - 225kw power, 1726 kg weight = 130.359 power/weight ratio = Banned

Seems a bit fishy that the Australian department's measurements are well off the others.
Could the RHD be that different?
Are Australian SR+ extra powerful?
Does someone who works at RVCS hate Tesla?

Just going to revive this thread. Model 3 SR+ is still a P-Plate banned vehicle in numerous states but it is based on some contentious statistics. Keep in mind vehicles over 130p/w ratio are banned. See below:

Wikipedia - 211kw power, 1,645 kg weight = 128.267 power/weight ratio = should be allowed
EVspecifications - 202kw power, 1645 kg weight = 122.796 power/weight ratio = should be allowed
RVCS (Australian Department) - 225kw power, 1726 kg weight = 130.359 power/weight ratio = Banned

Seems a bit fishy that the Australian department's measurements are well off the others.

RVCS works off statistics that are provided to it by Tesla. If you are going to blame someone blame Tesla.

Maybe they don't just take into account the Power to weight ratio.

Maybe (and I'm going out on a limb here) it's because the SR+ has a similar 1/4 mile time as the following:
- BMW E39 M5
- Porsche Boxster S
- BMW 760Li
- Nissan 370Z Nismo
- BMW M135i
- Maserati Quattroporte V8 Biturbo
- Porsche Cayenne GTS
- Audi S4 (2014)
- VW Golf R
- Honda NSX (original)

Do you think all the above cars should be allowed as well?
(None is allowed in NSW by the way)

Maybe they don't just take into account the Power to weight ratio.

Maybe (and I'm going out on a limb here) it's because the SR+ has a similar 1/4 mile time as the following:
- BMW E39 M5
- Porsche Boxster S
- BMW 760Li
- Nissan 370Z Nismo
- BMW M135i
- Maserati Quattroporte V8 Biturbo
- Porsche Cayenne GTS
- Audi S4 (2014)
- VW Golf R
- Honda NSX (original)

Do you think all the above cars should be allowed as well?
(None is allowed in NSW by the way)
If this were the case, Model S standard range would be banned. See the first post on this thread for what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.